Time Units

Danial

I was wondering just now whether encumberance is the only factor that causes a decrease in TUs?

Also, it's been decided that the encumberance formula is: Strength/Carried Weight. Is that right?

Using that formula, a person with 50 strength could carry something of 1000 weight and still have 5% of their TUs left :P

As far as I know, encumberance is the only thing that can reduce a soldiers TU.

And that equation for encumberance is correct also. Seems strange that a soldier with 71 for strength and 81 for his TU could theoretically haul 7100 points of weight around and maintain 1% TU left. Even stranger, due to the weight of items, the maximum any soldier could carry is 177! That would still leave 33 Time Units if your soldier was maxed out! :P

And while I'm talking about Strength, is it used for anything other than encumberance calculations and throwing distances?

I'm asking this because I'm curious as to why all the terror units have such high strengths when they can neither carry nor throw?

So that players can go "Wow, these guys are strong" when they use a probe!

Actually, someone mentioned somewhere that it influenced melee strength for aliens units.

I never got round to confirming this, but I can say that it won't matter for the chryssalid, after having compared 255 armour against chryssalids and zombies. Zombies didn't do a thing, but the chryssalid scored a zombifying hit immediately.

- NKF

They need to give them some stat for the sake of realism.

What stat do tanks get? :P

Keep in mind that in the early versions, any unit could hit another with the but of their rifle, but they later took that out. That might have been another place where strength came in to play, maybe? :(

It may have, but with the current versions of the game, it doesn't. If it did, it should effect the stun-rod, but that's not the case.

AI melee weapons on the other hand may very well be influenced by strength.

- NKF

AI melee weapons on the other hand may very well be influenced by strength.

I mentioned this a while back in the Game Data from the OSG thread.

The strength of the HTH combat only aliens roughly corresponds to the accuracy of a handheld weapon. The "Close Combat Accuracy" of these aliens is 80% which corresponds roughly to a units Firing Accuracy. Multiplying the strength by 0.80 yields a number that functions the same as the "Base Chance to Hit" percentage in weapons.

Example 1:
A soldier has a Firing Accuracy of 70. He is carrying a Laser Pistol that has a Snap Shot accuracy of 40%. The chance that the snap shot will connect is 70% * 0.40 = 28%. When you click on that type of shot during the mission, the accuracy listed is the result of the previous calculation (28%).

Example 2:
A Reaper has a Close Combat Accuracy of 80%. Its weapon is a HTH attack, having an accuracy equal to its strength rating at that skill level. On Beginner, that comes to 90%. The chance that a HTH attack will be successful is 80% * 0.90 = 72%.

The reason why a Chryssalid seems to score a "Zombifying hit" more often than a Zombie is because the strength of a Chryssalid is higher than that of a Zombie. I'll list the beginner "Base Chance to Hit" numbers here:

Silacoid: 56%

Chryssalid: 88%

Reaper: 72%

Zombie: 67%.

The Chryssalid has a 21% greater chance of scoring a HTH hit than a Zombie does. Also, Chryssalids have more TU than a Zombie, so it can attack multiple times per round (7 on beginner) while the Zombie can only muster 2. If you are playing on Superhuman, the Chryssalid has a 102% chance of turning a human into a Zombie. This is the reason why it seems immediate. The Zombie's chance is only 78% on Superhuman, 10% less than that of a Chryssalids accuracy on beginner!

All tanks have a strength rating of 60 by the way! :P

It may have, but with the current versions of the game, it doesn't. If it did, it should effect the stun-rod, but that's not the case.

Er, why? I wouldn't expect the results of an electric tazer type thing to be influenced by the attackers strength. :P

I didn't know Zombies could make more Zombies. Or did I? I'm sure I've seen someone say otherwise. :(

Well, implementation-wise, I mean. It's simply a melee weapon that does non-lethal damage as opposed to lethal damage.

No, zombies don't make more zombies.

When I meant about the chryssalid attack is that it appear as if it's hard coded to produce the zombifying effect whether or not the attack caused any damage or not. To normal-sized X-Com/civilian owned units in any case.

- NKF

edit: Why do I keep missing/omitting words in my posts these days? Got to proof read more often.

Er, why? I wouldn't expect the results of an electric tazer type thing to be influenced by the attackers strength.

The Stun Rod really isn't a Tazer type of weapon. That's why. See that point on the tip of the Stun Rod? My guess is that it has to be jabbed into the subject. The farther its pushed in, the greater the chance of knocking the unit unconscious. What attribute let's a soldier jab something into a body? It's strength!

Now, I know that the Stun Rod isn't influenced by strength. The damage it should inflict is determined by the targets susceptibility to stun and armor. Theoretically speaking, strength should play a role, just like the HTH aliens.

But the HTH attack for aliens is affected by strength. It acts like a weapons firing accuracy. :P