First Person Shooter

Pumpkinhead

As always, I find myself wishing there was a FPS made in the X-COM universe, and in doing so, got me wondering what style would best suit it. I've got the poll up top, but I'll give some brief explanations below:

1) Half-Life 2: Very little strategy, but some puzzle-solving. Mostly lone-player, but with some team management.

2) Rainbow Six 3: Strategy-based, with emphasis on teams. Slower-paced than HL2.

3) Full Spectrum Warrior: Not technically a FPS, though it contains many elements of the genre. Distinctly team-based, and highly strategic, making it slower-paced than RS3.

If anyone else has any game styles they think would suit, just click "Other" and specify below...

I don't see an 'other' selection there.

Anyway:

One other possibility:

Battlezone II. Kind of a hybrid of a first person tank shooter with some real time strategy base mangement. Though vehicle based and rarely will you be on-foot (well, apart from the rocket soldiers in the APC and the pilot weapons you can use when you jump out or get ejected from your ship), it seems decent enough for a squad based game - given plenty of improvements to the AI and a number of other things. Take away the 'base' building aspect and replace it with a dropship and perhaps emphasise more on soldier -v- soldier combat, it might work out.

You can probably lump the Battlezone I in there as well - though I prefer II's squad selection and the fact that there's less emphasis on 'gold-mining'... well, it's scrap pumping, but anyway... No wait, I'm getting it back to front. I meant hunting for resources. Less empahsis on hunting for resources. Then there's the mortar bike. Whee!

- NKF

Dare I click on teh invisible other and say X-COM Alliance - which never made it but was supposed to be better than anything before or since... but I guess the closest you'll get it Half Life 2.

Fixed the poll, but what's it got to do with the UFO forum? :P:(

I've kept up to date with the Last Hope project, but they seem to have given up on it. Especially since HL2 has now come out.

Other than that, I think the Rainbow Six format is quite suited to X-COM, in that you select your team, weaponry, and equipment before the mission begins, and then you have full command over your team(s). You can have up to 3 teams, with up to 10 men (max. 4 in each team).

Also, I think the game lends itself more to X-COM in that each mission is separated and situated in a new location, unlike HL, which leads you through one HUGE location. This isn't really feasible in an X-COM game I don't think.

Anyways, that's my 2-cents :P

Also, I think the game lends itself more to X-COM in that each mission is separated and situated in a new location, unlike HL, which leads you through one HUGE location

Actually, each level in Half-Life is a completely seperate location in the program. They're just designed so that it looks like you're continuing directly on from the last area.

In the program it is, I know, but in virtual geography, it's the one place, which as I said, wouldn't work for X-COM because you have various crash sites, city missions, landing sites etc etc.

The level transitions can just as easily take you to an entirely different location instead of one that looks like it continues from the last level.