Great Weapon Combos

Zombie

My Allied scout just legitimately acquired the Katana on a recent mission so I started her on a training regimen which includes lots of swipes from the sword (familiarization of 3 now). But you certainly can't stand on one leg, so I needed a backup weapon in case she got caught with her skirt up (so to speak, ahem). :P

While looking through my stores for options I found the Welrod Mk1 Silenced pistol I picked up a few missions back. *In Mr. Burns voice from the Simpsons* Eggcellent! Now I looked for a SMG which used the same ammo (0.38 Parabellum) so that I could interchange in times of need. Ah-ha, the MP 40-II was the perfect choice since it has a giant 64-round capacity (basically 2-32 round clips). I just tried this on my latest mission and it worked great. Once I set my squad up in a firing line formation, I sent my scout to look ahead. When she spotted an enemy, she took a single snap shot with the Welrod, then ran back to rejoin the group. Since the enemy is alerted to the general location where shots were fired, they come running to investigate who is shooting at them. When the enemy shows up on my doorstep. I'm ready with a full barrage of weapons fire from a SMG and HMG, two snipers, and when all else fails, a second scout to nab anyone which got too close.

But I got to thinking, I should really equip my non-hero scout with the Welrod and MP 40-II so that she can draw the enemy in close, then let my (other) hero scout take swipes with her Katana. Still, the combo itself is great for a scout as both weapons use the same ammo, and you can pick up plenty of MP 40/38 clips on the battlescape to replenish. :)

So what is your favorite weapon combination? :)

- Zombie

Scoped Lee-Enfield with a Webley for back up. Might only have a 6-round capacity, but it's rather powerful, and a very British combo.

Silenced pistol + knife is always a good one for scouts.

I like giving that little Sauer 38 to anyone with a heavy weapon, as it's small and doesn't take much AP. It's good for those carrying machine guns and the like. It's a bit weedy, but after using it you'll still have plenty of APs left to run away if it goes wrong.

Anything I should carry along with the Scoped & Silenced 98K? I just legitimately picked this weapon up from a Koch mission (not sure which one anymore) and it's really awesome. Maybe a knife of some sort too? The puny 5-round clip is the reason why I'm thinking something else would be nice as a backup/fall back/failsafe between reloads. Right now my Engineer LA has the 98K and she's doing a good job with it, but every once and a while she'll be stuck because her weapon is empty. Hmmm... :P

- Zombie

Just bring your best pistol, I think. The advantage of firearms is that they work up close or at range, whereas knives and such mean getting up close to the enemy.

If someone trips over your sniper, 3-4 headshots drops them no problems, and this is easily doable with a pistol. If you're not too confident about the head, just shoot the torso a few times to get that damage 'in the bank' so to speak, then swap to the head.

Ah-ha, the MP 40-II was the perfect choice since it has a giant 64-round capacity (basically 2-32 round clips).

I know a little bit about firearms, but I had no idea this was real until I played this game and then looked it up. Games can educate, kids!

@Zombie:

My Axis 98k-silenced sniper has done well with variously a Bergmann and a PPS-43 war trophy as backup weapons. The 2-shot-burst Mauser pistol is a good choice as well - two shots for the ap cost of one.

The Suomi SMG is also 9mm, and has a bigger drum magazine of 71 rounds in the same space as two 32-round magazines. Finnish, so it's "axis-native". My engineer is using one, I think. (It's massively heavy for a SMG, though - 7kg/15.5lbs loaded)

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

My Axis 98k-silenced sniper has done well with variously a Bergmann and a PPS-43 war trophy as backup weapons. The 2-shot-burst Mauser pistol is a good choice as well - two shots for the ap cost of one.

The Suomi SMG is also 9mm, and has a bigger drum magazine of 71 rounds in the same space as two 32-round magazines. Finnish, so it's "axis-native". My engineer is using one, I think. (It's massively heavy for a SMG, though - 7kg/15.5lbs loaded)

I'll have to search my stores for a Mauser pistol, I probably have it somewhere by now.

In a recent scripted mission (me thinks it was a German laboratory), I found a whole slug of Suomi's the enemy was carrying. They have just been sitting idle in my stores though. Might have to give one to a soldier to test it out first. :P

- Zombie

For sniper: Sea Devil (Even it has the capacity problem). Secondary... Well, nothing.

For engineer: Suomi KP (Suomi SMG), just because it has tremendious capacity, and easy handling. Secondary weapon should be grenades.

For medic: A rifle, manlicher-carcano - or w/scope, has proved to be GOOD. Or a HMG. Secondary should be BANDAGES, or forceps.

And again, For Scout: SILENCED rifle, maybe 98K w/scope, silenced. I don't prefer melee, so a nice little SMG will do the trick.

For Grenadier: I have noticed, that grenadiers (At least OLLI) has quality skills with HMGs. Maybe chatelleraunt, and MG42 in the future. Grenades, many of em'.

For soldier... Anything goes.

The problem with the Sea Devil is the rarity of the thing and small ammo capacity. For a good chunk of the game you'll be playing without it anyway, so I'd just as soon use a Lee Enfield to get a high familiarity and be done with it. And with any type of primary gun with ammo problems you really should have some sort of backup weapon. Otherwise you'll run across an enemy and not be able to do anything until the weapon is reloaded. :P

- Zombie

The problem with the Sea Devil is the rarity of the thing and small ammo capacity. For a good chunk of the game you'll be playing without it anyway, so I'd just as soon use a Lee Enfield to get a high familiarity and be done with it. And with any type of primary gun with ammo problems you really should have some sort of backup weapon. Otherwise you'll run across an enemy and not be able to do anything until the weapon is reloaded. :P

- Zombie

Actually that isn't a problem for me. I have my heroscout far ahead, and the rest of the crew follow me. (Sniper included). So IF my sniper had to reload in combat, my grenadier and medic would shoot em' with pretty good odds. 30-50% HMG long bursts.

• 5 years later...

Well, I've been running Silent Storm the last week or so, got a bunch of missions under my belt and therefore collected a variety of weapons. Not all of these are weapon combinations, most are ammo saving.

• Sniper: Welrod MK1 Silenced using .38 Parabellum rounds. Instead of the standard 8 round Parabellum mag, I opted for the Sten SMG Magazine which holds 32 rounds in 2 tiles of space. Savings: 16 rounds.
  • Medic: G-41 W Scoped, holds 10 rounds of 7.92x57 Mauser ammo which comes in 5 round clips. Could use MG34 Boxed Cartridge Belt which has 75 rounds in 4 tiles, but I chose the ZB26/30 Magazine which holds 30 rounds in a single tile of inventory (that works out to 120 rounds in 4 tiles). No need to carry more than 60 rounds for rifle ammo, so that saves 2 tiles of inventory over the MG34 and 10 if you went with straight Mauser clips.
  • Soldier: MG 34 Machine Gun. As above, I converted those MG34 Boxed Cartridges over to ZB26/30 Magazines. Because of the higher ammo density per tile, I only carry 6 clips.
  • Sniper #2: Lee Enfield Mk1 Scoped, normally uses 10 round clips of .303 in one tile, but I picked the Lewis MK1 magazine which has 47 rounds for 4 tiles. Net gain of 7 bullets over 4 standard clips, but keeps the inventory tab cleaner. Sidearn for SHTF moments: Mauser M.712, 20 rounds of 7.62x19 ammo and has short burst capability which only costs 8 APs! I could have stuck with the normal clips as they are higher density, but the PPSH/PPD SMG Mag holds 71 rounds which is close. I might give the PPD 40 and the M.712 to my engineer as that combo can't be beat.
  • Scout: Welrod Mk1, same setup as my Hero sniper. Only difference is she's carrying a M3A1 Silenced SMG and a G-41 W rifle with 1 ZB26/30 mag.
  • Engineer: DP Machine Gun with 2 drums of 47 round 7.62x53R. Not that big of a deal, but her other weapon is a Mosin 1891-1930 rifle chambered in the same rounds so there's no need to tote around another ammo type.

So that's what I'm carrying right now. I'm sure it'll change as I acquire more weapons. ;)

- Zombie

• 8 months later...

Now that I am trying it again, here's my thought

Silent Scout: Melee knife and throwing knives. best would be Katana and shurikens. For Go-to-hell option is both lightweight and meduim grenades, when stealth is no longer an option, and we need to bleed pursuers before fleeing. As a bonus, Melee knife should be train to Familiarity 10, it should add to accuracy and damage.

Sniper: Scoped Rifles and a high dmg/Ap pistol like a Colt. Scoped guns get train to highest Familiarity level which is 30, but the Colt is for when they get too near for comfort. Not an SMG because sniper's Burst sucks. Grenade is chancy because low Strength and Throwing, meaning range is short. The actual damage range of a Colt is equal to Mosin Scoped, which is horrifying. Fami 30 mean a long range high damage gun like Mosin (from start game) until Scoped SVT40. RG42 as Russian companion because by the time we get SVT, enemies' VP should be so high a Colt wont put them down, so a effyou grenade then retreat.

Soldier: HMG and one meduim grenade for final option. Soldier got best burst so most fit for HMG. Chattelereau and F1, a French combo. Or RG42 and DP, a Russian combo.

Medic: scoped rifles. The other hand should hold a medical item. The rifleman perk tree on the right make that clear Medic's option is. Because Medic's Fami is standard 10, (s)he can train up on new scoped rifle every so often instead of keeping to one. From enfield to GW to Garand etc... They dont need a final option because if enemies can get to your Medic your battle plan is so screwed it's not funny any more. Although if you must, a Colt or Webley is fine, because of Faster Snap.

Engineer: Main tool of damage should be a dynamite or TNT. To accompany that, a pistol should be fine for pinpoint and up close accuracy. The sufficient Burst allow the use of M712. Honestly from SMG range to outward, target is in range for a fine stick of boom. I am slowly changing my mind. The bullet damage of M712 is low, and it's not easy to get a burst all onto target. It's probabbly better to use high damage/high AP pistol like Colt, especially if we set enemies level at +3 (Impossible). Colt is a definite yes. 3 shots should take care of most enemies and leaving the rest highly weakened (negative status to skills). Pity about the Burst but there is it.

Grenadier: same as Engineer though a bit trickier. For close to medium range, a meduim grenade. For medium to long range, a light one. But what if we want close to melee range? A pistol wont do the job because Grenadier is most of the time part of front line. So SMG is called for. here we experiment from Sten to MP to FG42. But the ultimate is stil STG44.