Small problem with some advice I took from GameFAQs...

Gunlord

Hey there, X-com fans! I'm just wondering, I have a little issue...I backed myself into a corner on my first playthrough, so I did what one of the codes on GameFAQs recommended I do:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/code/199362.html

First: Start a new game, and then save.

Second: Quit the game and copy the following files from your original save directory to the new save directory.

IE: You saved your original game in slot one and second save in slot 2, the directory would be /*whatever you named the X-Com directory.. drive:/mps/ufo/game_1/ for an example of the DOS version, then drive:/mps/ufo/game_2/ for the second save.

Files:

aknow.dat

research.dat

up.dat

soldier.dat (optional, if you've already got some good soldiers trained)

Third: load up the new game. You should have all the needed information.

I did this, and to my delight, all UFOpedia entries concerning weapons, aliens, etc. were present in my new game. However, to my dismay, when I started playing, after downing several of the starting UFOs and getting elerium and alien alloys, I found I couldn't manufacture *anything!* My troops could use plasma rifles and heavy plasmas, but I couldn't manufacture them! So I'm wondering, has anyone else had this problem, is this a bug or a glitch, or have I messed up my game? Pardon my ignorance ;_;

No trouble at all. :)

I'm a little surprised that the "cheat" at GameFAQs failed to mention PRODUCT.DAT, but then again, all the stuff they have is from way back when the game first came out. If you want to cheat, visit here first. We'll set you straight! :)

- Zombie