Alien reaction fire vs SWS in terror missions

Veki

Hi all.

I've started playing TFTD again and noticed this strange behaviour.

When I'm playing terror missions aliens don't reaction fire on my SWS, only my men. I can move with my SWS as much as I want in front of any alien in terror missions and they won't fire (even on first turn).

This does not happen on downed or landed UFO missions (haven't tried this in Artefact or Base missions since I haven't encountered them yet).

This really makes terror missions a lot easier since I have a scout that doesn't trigger reaction fire.

I'm playing TFTD Collectors edition with XCOM CE Bugfix loader (don't know which version) on Win XP.

Anyone else encoutered this odd behaviour?

Hmm, strange. The SWS aren't famed for their reaction levels, and tend to attract more incoming fire than aquanauts. Probably bugged.

Which of the SWS are you using and do you know if the aliens you're moving in front of have any time units left to react?

- NKF

I'm using Coelacanth/Gas Cannon SWS. And I'm sure aliens have a lot of TU since it is the first turn of terror missions.

I can dance around Gill men in the first turn of terror missions with my SWS and it won't fire. But the moment it sees my aquanaut it fires. So I'm sure they have enough TU.

And when I'm doing normal downed\landed UFO my SWS trigger reaction fire like they should.

I thought I'd give it a go. Tried it in unpatched TFTD and TFTD v2.0 (both dos versions) and I even went and tried it in UFO. All I can say is that I'm astonished. Indeed, SWS seem to break the reaction fire mechanics but only for TFTD.

Aliens will freely shoot the SWS during their turn, but will not react against it during your turn. It seems to occur in all missions I tested it on and not just terror sites. In UFO, the tanks got shot up the moment their initiative was under the aliens', so it doesn't work there.

So that's yet another addition to TFTD. A most unfair but certainly not an unwelcome one.

Of course, this covers the Dos and CE releases for the moment. All we need now is to see if we can get verification for the PSX version.

- NKF

Hmm, I noticed SWSs didn't precipitate reaction fire while I was watching a "Let's Play TFTD" video on youtube. Interesting. :)

I have the TFTD PSX version but unfortunately can't play it on my PSX due to regional encoding. I've been looking for a way to play the PSX version on my computer and it seems to be possible if you illegally download isos and such and I really don't want to do that. :)

- Zombie

Whether or not those ISOs are illegal depends on your local copyright law. It's a lot easier to just rip the things yourself rather then download a copy though (there aren't any tricks - you just image the disc in the same way you'd create any ISO).

Though most PSX emulators for the PC, to my understanding, will quite happily play the discs directly.

Did some testing yesterday and the results are "interesting". I'm beginning to think my installation is corrupt. :)

Game version : TFTD Collectors Edition

Coelacanth/Gas Cannon

Downed/landed UFO : triggers reaction fire

Terror mission : DOESN'T trigger reaction fire

Displacer/Sonic

Terror mission : triggers reaction fire

I'll test today when I come home Coelacanth/Aqua Jet and I'll test a base defense mission and Artefact Site mission.

I think the mission type does not matter as much as the unit type. By the way, my trials were done with the Aqua Jet Coelacanth, so it must be a Coelacanth-only feature.

I suppose this is good. It gives them a bit of an edge over the Displacers, which are meant to be the trump SWS with their under/above water levitation, better stats, armor and stronger weapon.

- NKF

I think the mission type does not matter as much as the unit type. By the way, my trials were done with the Aqua Jet Coelacanth, so it must be a Coelacanth-only feature.

I suppose this is good. It gives them a bit of an edge over the Displacers, which are meant to be the trump SWS with their under/above water levitation, better stats, armor and stronger weapon.

- NKF

I think you're right.

Yesterday I tested Coelacanth/Aqua Jet and a Base defense mission.

Coelacanth/Aqua Jet

Terror mission : DOESN'T trigger reaction fire

Base defense mission : DOESN'T trigger reaction fire

Coelacanth/Gas Cannon

Base defense mission : DOESN'T trigger reaction fire

Displacer/Sonic

Base defense mission : triggers reaction fire

What is more shocking is that in base defense mission aquanauts DO NOT trigger reaction fire. At least not on the first turn. :)

Can someone confirm this? ^^