Music volume on UFO Defense

Talon81

Hi, I think the title and topic say it all:

I am on XP running Collectors Edition and (I assume) due to the DOS voices patch my music volume is low. How do I adjust it without adjusting the sound volume. In order to hear the music, my sound effects are blaring.

Thanks

Well, there are no sound controls in-game, so you'll need to try tweaking the levels in your main volume control:

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Sounds And Audio Devices --> Volume tab --> Advanced.

I have my SW Synth muted because I do not like to listen to the music in-game. If your music is too low, crank it up there and hopefully that'll fix it. :)

- Zombie

well, in my volume control, there is no sw synth, only "synthesizer". I had previously read a suggestion to turn my midi volume up, and my understanding was that it would be the synthesizer slide, but it does not affect it at all. I can have it turned all the way down and music is still there.

It may very well vary from sound card to sound card. Go to your properties and see if there are any playback options that aren't visible.

Since you're using CE, I suggest loading up a midi file of your choosing (just play one from the game's sound directory), then fiddle with your volume settings until you find the one that adjusts the midi volume.

- NKF

Well, after playing with a midi file as suggested, I found that my synthesizer slide indeed adjusts midi volume. So, I used my backup sound files in X-Com and found that I can adjust music and effects seperately in CE until I put in Strife67's Voice Patch (the most recent, complete voice patch in the files section). With that patch in, nothing will play with just my synth turned up. My wave has to be turned up, too. Essentially the game no longer plays music classified as a midi, and I have no idea how to adjust music to effects as long as I have that patch in (which I love otherwise).

Unless you guys have any suggestions, I guess it would be a matter of altering the .cat files in his patch. I wonder if he is still around....

Thanks for your help guys.

Haven't a clue how the patch works, but if the patch is causing midi to get controlled by the wave volume control, then I'm going to throw a wild guess and say that it could be emulating or capturing the midi output, does its funky stuff and then put the results out as wave audio.

- NKF