Difference between difficulty settings?

Nicol.Bolas

Well, each difficulty has its own unique map. The higher the level, the larger the city. The harder maps also have more bases to choose from. This is probably, at least in my opinion, the most significant effect the difficult level has. Then again you probably won't need all 8 bases, but it's good to have options.

The other more significant change is the increase alien stats and their overall increase in numbers in battle. This can make it quite hard when they gang up on you. The larger kill count and equipment capture does have a tendency to push your score levels up much faster than on the easier settings. This results in the aliens unlocking their new technology a lot sooner, and if you're not careful at managing how many points you get in and how quickly you are able to research new tech, you can easily fall behind and get overwhelmed.

There may be other subtle changes, but nothing that can't be managed.

- NKF

Well, each difficulty has its own unique map. The higher the level, the larger the city. The harder maps also have more bases to choose from. This is probably, at least in my opinion, the most significant effect the difficult level has. Then again you probably won't need all 8 bases, but it's good to have options.

The other more significant change is the increase alien stats and their overall increase in numbers in battle. This can make it quite hard when they gang up on you. The larger kill count and equipment capture does have a tendency to push your score levels up much faster than on the easier settings. This results in the aliens unlocking their new technology a lot sooner, and if you're not careful at managing how many points you get in and how quickly you are able to research new tech, you can easily fall behind and get overwhelmed.

There may be other subtle changes, but nothing that can't be managed.

- NKF

Hi thanks for replying NKF. Glad to see someone still cares. This is my first time beating the game, ever :laugh:. Although I own it since it came out. I have completely changed my opinion on the game, I think it

Well, you may as well play the harder levels to find out! :laugh: I'd say it's fairly replayable. You can always choose to approach the game in many different ways so that you can try new things or even challenge yourself with some handicaps. It's up to you basically.

For RT combat - it can get chaotic, so to work around that you really need to get familiar with the space bar and pause the combat frequently. Whenever you've paused the game, take your time and issue orders as necessary. Keep an eye on what's happening with everyone (particularly those that are off-screen). Remember to have your various squads look around frequently, as they do tend to like all looking towards the nearest target of interest, leaving their flanks and rear open to surprise attacks.

In short: pause often, assess the situation and react accordingly.

I would probably recommend switching off all the auto-pause events in the options except for when enemies are spotted or when you get hurt. Those are amongst the more important events you'll want to watch out for. Use similar settings for the Cityscape's auto-pause functions, particularly for UFO sightings.

- NKF

Remember soldiers can dual-weld. Pulling out stun grapples will save you a lot of trouble versus poppers and brain suckers, which can then be killed in their unconscious state.

The higher difficulties make it a heck of a lot harder to keep Transtellar happy. The cityscape maps are designed with massive chain reactions set up in the road systems; damage a segment and down it all comes. The trick is to get yourself to a point where you don't need them anymore and then stop paying them (or perhaps start raiding them for Elerium).

(The same is also true of the Nutrivend tactical maps; I like to randomly shoot support pillars and watch the aliens fall to their doom).

If you can stand micromanagement, split your team members up as much as possible. Always have one guy within a few tiles of another, of course, but try not to bunch too much. The aliens have this knack of having their grenades go off within half a second of landing by your guys. You can attempt to throw them back, but they'll typically go off in your hand.

Granted, having a large group of team members shooting at a lone alien is most gratifying, but if that alien is within throwing range there's a lot of risk involved.

Although it's typically safe to raid them in the early game, the cultists will, eventually, get some decent guns.