24 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Hero?

• Engineer
    • Grenadier
    • Medic
    • Scout
    • Sniper
    • Soldier

So what is your favorite Hero class? After running a bunch of missions so far my vote goes to the sniper. They are stealthy, have a long firing range and are extremely accurate. There is nothing more satisfying than sneaking up to within inches of your target and then shooting it in the back of the head! Well, I kinda like the long range impossible shots they make too. :laugh:

Vote now and please explain your choice. :D

- Zombie

Yup, I like the sniper, but the scout is a close second.

Quite satisfying to sneak up on your foes and give them a Colombian necktie. :D

And if you got your hands on the ninja sword, you'll reap more victims than the bubonic plague. :laugh:

Soldier. Nothing like storming a room, SMG blazing. Or methodically flattening a small house with the application of generous amounts of lead from a MG or three.

That's the thing I love most about this game - the sheer mayhem and destruction. :laugh:

Hehe, half the SMGs I have so far don't do diddly squat to buildings. A few of the recruit-able units have some decent machine guns, but I hesitate to use all the ammo for it for fear I won't have enough next mission. That's probably an unwarranted worry of mine since it seems like Allied gun ammo is replaced if you use it, but still. Soldiers aren't bad. What saves them is that they are multi-role instead of specific. I might have to try another mini campaign with one again to refresh my memory.

I just played through a few missions with the scout. Not too shabby. It's a close second to the sniper in terms of effectiveness. It's a little disconcerting at first sneaking right up to an enemy with nothing but a knife and a pistol to protect you. But the knife attack is stealthy and fast (I got off 5 or 6 attacks in a round). And for stuff you can't reach with a knife, the pistol is also very good. Scouts train up fairly quick it seems so if need be you can grab a rifle off the enemies to use for long range shots. The Billy Club doesn't do much damage but kicking or punching is a very powerful method of attack (stealthy too). Can't figure out how to use those throwing knives to test them but they do too little damage to consider tossing them anyway.

Engineers as a main hero seems like a waste to me. They take too long to train and you have to use pick locks and mine probes to do so which are a limited commodity to begin with. Medics are ok, as long as you aren't wasting time healing people on a mission (kinda counterproductive really as that's their primary role). :laugh:

My first mission I had was with a grenadier. It was just ok. She couldn't throw anything further than other units. So in that respect it is a let down. Plus I'm not really sure how to train the throwing skill since everytime I try to throw a weapon around it just drops to the ground. I'm assuming you train that skill by only throwing primed grenades, but if you can't throw the grenade to where it's supposed to go... :D

- Zombie

As for grenadiers - throwing knives, zombie, throwing knives! Reusable and trains throwing skill. Just use them like you would a gun, but at closer range. (And as a bonus, they don't break stealth.)

Soldiers are jack-of-all-trades, true. Except medic stuff and engineer stuff. Ahmed can't even use a roll of medical tape with his 14 medic skill :laugh: ... They're forgiving to play, can use any weapon you toss them, survive most mishaps due to sturdiness and have better reactions than the less front-line folk.

SMGs are only good for furniture and doors in a pinch. Bring out high-caliber stuff like rifles and MGs to have fun shooting through ceilings, walls, bars, random noises... :D

As for grenadiers - throwing knives, zombie, throwing knives! Reusable and trains throwing skill. Just use them like you would a gun, but at closer range. (And as a bonus, they don't break stealth.)

Ah, thanks a lot for the tip! I was really scratching my head trying to figure out how to train throwing in a unit who was supposed to be well-versed in the area to begin with. Was a real conundrum. Knives it is then. :laugh: Is throwing trainable with knives if an enemy isn't present? That may be a deal breaker if it is true.

Edit: Throwing skill does do up even if an enemy isn't present. Cool. Thanks again!

Soldiers are jack-of-all-trades, true. Except medic stuff and engineer stuff. Ahmed can't even use a roll of medical tape with his 14 medic skill :D ... They're forgiving to play, can use any weapon you toss them, survive most mishaps due to sturdiness and have better reactions than the less front-line folk.

SMGs are only good for furniture and doors in a pinch. Bring out high-caliber stuff like rifles and MGs to have fun shooting through ceilings, walls, bars, random noises... :D

You bring up a good point about a non medic trying to use medical items. Adhesive bandages require 20 med skill, right? Is there a way to train medical skill in a unit if he is under 20? Would administering powder or pills work? You would think there would be a way for other non-medical units to gain some sort of experience in healing if their skill is lower than the recommended. Jeez, it's a band-aid, how difficult is that to apply? Even children can do that! :)

- Zombie

You need a few long bursts with an SMG to affect a wall or floor, but they're very quick lock picks versus wooden doors. MGs can chew down whole buildings, if you bring enough ammo.

My vote goes to the sniper. Let the others range ahead, find targets, and long range rifle shots ahoy, picking off enemy machine gunners/bazooka wielders/other potent-weapon-carrying-gits.

Scout armed with a silenced SMG is a wicked combination, sneak up, long burst, dead enemy. Rinse and repeat. Very good for poking out of cover, finding the enemies, then running away.

Soldier gets the MG, long bursts on particularly important enemies.

Grenadier gets an SMG, closes in on the enemy and chucks grenades as primary attack. Watch those bodies fly.

Engineer usually gets an SMG, throws explosives, supporting fire role, and lays traps to block enemy access or create choke points which you then cover with firepower.

Medic, given a rifle, fire support and run about patching people up.

I have a love/hate relationship with throwing weapons, knives, shuriken, chakri, etc. Just playing currently, scout surprised a Brit officer near his desk, cue three turns of throwing enough cutlery to stock a good size restaurant. Result? The officer's chair looked like a hedgehog. Officer coolly returned fire and notched a hole in my scout.

A few of the recruit-able units have some decent machine guns, but I hesitate to use all the ammo for it for fear I won't have enough next mission. That's probably an unwarranted worry of mine since it seems like Allied gun ammo is replaced if you use it, but still.

If you're playing as the Allies, ammo for Allied weapons is unlimited, yep. Use as much as you like, then go back to base and restock.

Myself i always liked the grenadier, once you get him/her the special throwing abilities (espescially longer throw range), they're one of the most useful assault units. Between throwing over barriers, area effect, and high damage you can blow groups of enemies to bits.

When I play I like to use all 6 professions. They all have their jobs.

Scouts: Range ahead and locate the enemies

Snipers: Pick of sentries, and heavy weapon troopers

Soldiers: Laying down machine gun fire, and leading the charge

Grenadiers: House/room assaults, ambushes

Medic: These are only really useful because I use the always critical Mod, meaning there's always lots of critical effects to heal

Engineer: Ok I'm not going to lie, these aren't really needed, but I like a well placed mine. Give them a rifle and they seem to even help out a bit.

• 1 month later...

Well, first time I played as a sniper, it's cool to take ur enemies down from a safe distance while others r keeping their aim away from u. Then I played sentinels as scout, it was fine, though I always thought that it would be a lot quicker if I could just kill them all with the squad instead of stealth killing them with one guy. Now I'm playing S2 as an axis soldier and I'm loving it, also got 2 more soldiers in my squad, since I like to test different squad combinations and in this one I got 3 soldiers, 2 snipers and 1 medic and they'r doing great so far, hope they keep up the good work.

So my vote goes for the soldier, hes does pretty well on shooting, lots of vps and a great burst shot, which means ur gonna kick ur enemy asses quickly, without giving him much chance to hurt u.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

For my first game play as sniper and undoubtedly a good choice as a beginner. But recently on the second run, the Scout IMO is the best to play overall. Apart from primary role(s) what separates them from the Sniper is the ability to have strength, dexterity and shooting skill to boost at the best values. Snipers take very less beating and in last levels without SVT or a good rifle they become the weakest (and a liability) in the battles. Currently, I can manage Scout in any attribute of my choice to stay strongest with sub-machine gun or rifles and can become skilled snipers with practice. Even the skill tree for scouts is well balanced giving strong perks earliest and with practice they become much more deadly in terms of high values.

Scouts are excellent as a universal soldier and extremely well-rounded Hero type!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

After 12 years, my answer has been finally locked in.

My favorite 'hero' class is definitely the grenadier, for a few reasons:

#1: Grenades are useless if not thrown by a grenadier.

#2: Grenades are extremely powerful, providing burst damage no other class can provide - if against a group of enemies.

#3: They usually end up with a good amount of shooting and burst skill, making soldiers obsolete.

(#4: They are the best drivers for PKs, if you are into those)

#5: Olli Heikkinen is a grenadier.

• 4 weeks later...

After 12 years, my answer has been finally locked in.

My favorite 'hero' class is definitely the grenadier, for a few reasons:

#1: Grenades are useless if not thrown by a grenadier.

#2: Grenades are extremely powerful, providing burst damage no other class can provide - if against a group of enemies.

#3: They usually end up with a good amount of shooting and burst skill, making soldiers obsolete.

(#4: They are the best drivers for PKs, if you are into those)

#5: Olli Heikkinen is a grenadier.

They're among the worst sneakers iirc. On the other hand, why do you want a grenadier skulking about? ph34r.png