2 replies to this topic

#1 Bumboo

Bumboo

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

Question: I'm thinking about one or two projects I want do try to mod in the UFO series. Which game is more moddable : Afterlight or Aftershock with regard to :
1- Can ingame models changed with an 3d modeling program or just with a hex editor?
2- Which game has the thighter engine restrictions (what can I do?)
3- Overall difficulty of changing things (like how much coding and such)

Anyone can answer this, anyone mdded both games?

Thanks to : Slaughter :laugh: for first answer.

Ill edit first post accordingly every time.

4- How can the firing effects of as/af be edited? I saw a few custom effects in the mods ive played, i think its the easier part for me to start. Is everything text based, or can they be edited by creating new for example dds. files?

#2 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

I would ask this in the official ALTAR forums as well, but here's my thoughts (not having modded either :laugh: ):
1: Not sure, but there's no fully functional importers/exporters I believe. I advice you to check our files section and the official forums. I believe Meaaov is your best bet...
2: PetteriB has the source for at least UFO: Afterlight, which he is developing fan-made patches for, so I guess it's the easier of the two. Not taking the source into account however, I'm not sure.
3: Mostly unpacking the .vfs (virtual file system) and playing with text files for both I believe, but again actual modders are better equipped to answer.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

#3 buasudah

buasudah

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

mod AFTERSHOCK, its really easy, and its a better game (hihi, had to say that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users