AL or AS, which is more moddable

Bumboo

Question: I'm thinking about one or two projects I want do try to mod in the UFO series. Which game is more moddable : Afterlight or Aftershock with regard to :

1- Can ingame models changed with an 3d modeling program or just with a hex editor?

2- Which game has the thighter engine restrictions (what can I do?)

3- Overall difficulty of changing things (like how much coding and such)

Anyone can answer this, anyone mdded both games?

Thanks to : Slaughter :laugh: for first answer.

Ill edit first post accordingly every time.

4- How can the firing effects of as/af be edited? I saw a few custom effects in the mods ive played, i think its the easier part for me to start. Is everything text based, or can they be edited by creating new for example dds. files?

I would ask this in the official ALTAR forums as well, but here's my thoughts (not having modded either :laugh: ):

1: Not sure, but there's no fully functional importers/exporters I believe. I advice you to check our files section and the official forums. I believe Meaaov is your best bet...

2: PetteriB has the source for at least UFO: Afterlight, which he is developing fan-made patches for, so I guess it's the easier of the two. Not taking the source into account however, I'm not sure.

3: Mostly unpacking the .vfs (virtual file system) and playing with text files for both I believe, but again actual modders are better equipped to answer.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

• 1 month later...