Northstar Interview

Slaughter

Northstar

Kerberos Productions blasts off with their next space adventure, Northstar - an RPG drawing inspiration from Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon, as well as games like X-COM and Freelancer.

Click here to read the full article.

2.jpg

6.jpg

outer2.jpg

I may have just wet my pants. Whether that's in anticipation of the game or this bleedin' server going down every 5 minutes at the moment, only time will tell.

:laugh: I hope the server is crapping out because of the huge demand!

Anybody ready for a speculation game? I think the screenshots tell a lot, in some ways more than Mecron is. Probably on purpose, too!

I'll have to take some time to dig deep, but if somebody found any "secret info" buried in the screens already, do tell. Speculations encouraged.

:laugh: I hope the server is crapping out because of the huge demand!

Nope, just generally crapping out unfortunately although steps are being taken to sort this out so folks can read the review uninterrupted :D

Anybody ready for a speculation game? I think the screenshots tell a lot, in some ways more than Mecron is. Probably on purpose, too!

Indeed - game devs generally play their cards quite closely to their chests but a picture does tell a thousand words and in this case those words are telling me that this has the potential to be an awesome game (though from what I read in the interview that's almost a given).

Taking a machete to someone trying to board your ship? Yes please :D

About the only problem I have with this game right now, is the inevitable limited upgradeness of your ship.

Well, you can't expect to turn a simple merchant into a battleship. This would definitely require a new ship. As far as I remember Martin said that the cost of a new starship is beyond the "reach" of this game.

Actually I like this. In all other games you just strive to get that even more bad arse ship and destroy all opposition even easier. And you can actually afford the ships without a big hassle... A few cargo runs and dead pirates and voilla a new starship.

And that would just throw the whole Han Solo feel out of the window.

Don't get me wrong, Han would have had fun flying around on an Imperial Star Destroyer, but it wouldn't have had the same feel somehow :D

Well, you do realize that most if not all of Han's modifications are illegal, right? :laugh:

Sure and that is cool, but it still can't fight a star destroyer. It can run away though! https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/xtreme.gif

This is Han Solo you're talking about. He didn't just outrun a Star Destroyer, he outran a whole fleet of them!

I am. I admit I expected more info demand (hey, it is internetS) but from the friendly sites that ran the news I saw that a lot of people never heard of the game. Nor do they have much trust that Kerberos can pull it off.

Which is surprising, considering the SotS franchise.

2406 now which, trust me, really isn't bad for any strategy game interview we've done here.

You're right though, it won't have been a game too many folks will have heard of unless they travel in Strategy circles like we do :laugh:

As for not believing they can pull it off - well that's down to the general internet opinion of smaller developers. I guess too many things have "almost been" in the past. It's probably down to people not believing that small developers can possibly survive any more as well, which for a non-strategy game seems more likely to me however smaller developers have been putting out good strategy titles for a long time now.

• 2 years later...

Just so that I wouldn't look all that necromantic - the first picture was reposted at Kerberos forums. And I don't know how I didn't notice this before (yeah, right, the real question is how I did notice it this time) but characters don't stand on a normal square. They stand on four of them. Which allows the "in-between" positions that is only possible with tanks in X-COM, otherwise you have the square movement map for people.

This is somewhat similar to hexagonal positioning, but you can run straight, he he he! Anyway, interesting. :)

Edit: Was I at least close to being clear?

No. Yes. Maybe :)

I think the 4 squares you're talking about are literally just floor tiles though - if you look further behind the action the floor covering is different, so pretty sure it's just a texture and the people are standing in the middle of squares there.

What would be interesting to know is that with the squares so big can people pass each other in combat? Do they have to occupy the same square to melee? Just a couple of things that popped into my head for a future interview.

• 1 year later...

It hasn't been cancelled, but its future is not guaranteed. Because of SotS2' failed launch relations with Paradox are not exactly highest ever so Kerberos is testing viability of crowdsourcing. So far not very successfully. Right now SotS2 future updates (not counting expansions) and Northstar are both linked to how little projects like SotS: The Pit will be doing. At least this is what Kerberos is saying.

Glad to see that people still remember Northstar.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...