Vanishing equipment

karadoc

I've noticed that if I mod the game so that 'Forceweb' is buildable or buyable, whenever I carry one into a tactical mission it disappears. My agents can equip it in my base but at the start of the mission, when it is time to assign squads, it is always gone.

Similarly, I just did a raid on a Psyke building and I noticed there were elerium pods lying around. I picked a few of them up, but as soon as the mission was over the pods were gone. I'm not talking about ammo for the plasma gun, and I'm pretty sure the pods aren't the "elerium 115" that is used for ship weapons. These pods are something that isn't used in the game. They are not for sale, and they disappear at the end of the tactical mission.

My question is this: does anyone know how I can change the game so that these things do not disappear?

The force web, along with some other items, are not complete items. I assume it doesn't have an item in the battlescape, so it vanishes once you get there. Since you don't have it by the end of the mission, it doesn't get given back to you once you switch back to the cityscape.

Elerium pods - ah these babies are special. They show up in the as their respective company's 'valuable item' (gangs and the cult get psiclones). On return to the cityscape, they get transformed into elerium ammo for your vehicle weapons. I think it was about 500 units or so per pod (don't quite me on that). Not quite the same value for money as psiclones, but still a good haul if you plan to use the Lineage cannons.

The same thing happened in the first two games, a single elerium/zrbite pod is turned into raw material (in this case, 50 units worth) for use in construction. In an earlier version of UFO, store elerium actually turned into battlescape items in a base defense mission. They stopped this in later releases.

- NKF

Elerium pods - ah these babies are special. They show up in the as their respective company's 'valuable item' (gangs and the cult get psiclones). On return to the cityscape, they get transformed into elerium ammo for your vehicle weapons. I think it was about 500 units or so per pod (don't quite me on that). Not quite the same value for money as psiclones, but still a good haul if you plan to use the Lineage cannons.

The same thing happened in the first two games, a single elerium/zrbite pod is turned into raw material (in this case, 50 units worth) for use in construction. In an earlier version of UFO, store elerium actually turned into battlescape items in a base defense mission. They stopped this in later releases.

- NKF

The yield from Apocalypse Elerium pods is considerably more anemic (and still not aligned with the preceding games) -- a recent stun raid against Marsec netted me +140 elerium, so the elerium pod value is a large divisor of 140 (35/70/140, not sure which one).

Ok. That's good information about the elerium. That's for that.

But about the Forceweb, I still don't understand why it disappears. I has a battlescape item in the sense that it can be equipped before a mission. It looks like a gun thing and it has various stats. I guess you are right about it being incomplete, and I know that some items have special functions that aren't shown in apoc'd - such as the dimension destabilizer, which for some reason doesn't do any damage even if I change it to have the same stats and damage type as a devastator cannon. (at least I think it was the dimension destabilizer. I may have gotten it mixed up with something else.)

I suppose it's not a big deal. Even if it didn't disappear it probably wouldn't work anyway. But the main reason I wanted to test it was that I heard that it actually does work - kind of. Here's a quote from wikipedia:

The Energy Web device actually functions as intended, although it is easy to mistake it for what could be an X-COM built mechanical version of the Disruptor weaponry. Its ammunition does not automatically recharge, and it only holds half a dozen shots which are identical in appearance to Disruptor beams. Anyone struck by the weapon will be incapable of moving, but may still fire weapons and use equipment. It is impossible to acquire without using a save-game editor.
There is nothing called "Energy Web", so it isn't completely clear what they are talking about...