Tactical damage to buildings

karadoc

In a tactical mission, if the aliens throw around a bunch of grenades and blow the place up, does the organisation that owns the building get angry at X-COM, or at the aliens?

Similarly, if the aliens kill a bunch of civilians, does the organisation get angry (at either X-COM or the aliens? I've got a feeling that no one really cares much about dead civilians in this game...

All damage is attributed to X-Com regardless of the side that causes the damage. This includes the guards in the building if they spawn due to hostile relations, or if you do a stun raid and some of the guard decide to play the live proxy-mine toss game.

And yes - civilians are unfortunately irrelevant to your standings with the owner of the building. No points are lost or gained from them. On the other hand, the alien's don't actively attack civilians. Those that do get killed are done so in the crossfire between your forces and the aliens.

- NKF

All damage is attributed to X-Com regardless of the side that causes the damage. This includes the guards in the building if they spawn due to hostile relations, or if you do a stun raid and some of the guard decide to play the live proxy-mine toss game.

And yes - civilians are unfortunately irrelevant to your standings with the owner of the building. No points are lost or gained from them. On the other hand, the alien's don't actively attack civilians. Those that do get killed are done so in the crossfire between your forces and the aliens.

- NKF

Thanks. That's helpful to know.

The reason I asked is that I'm trying to think of new and interesting ways to make the game more difficult in the mod that I'm working on (as opposed to just making all the aliens much tougher). I was worried that having lots of aliens using explosives might make the game _easier_, because organisations would get upset with the aliens and then ally with X-COM. It's good to know that that won't happen. Also, I notice in the apoc'd save game editor it is possible to change the relationships between organisations. One of the organisations listed is "civilian", so it is probably possible to make the aliens attack the civilians by setting their relationship to be hostile. I might try that anyway, but since the organisations won't care it would only be for atmosphere...

I've got another question now. If XCOM does a bunch of damage to the building in a tactical mission, the organisation that owns the building gets angry at XCOM, but what about organisations that are allied (or friendly) with the organisation that owns the building. Do they get angry as well? I'm wondering if I can make it less favourable to repeatedly raid the Cult by giving them positive relations with other organisations. I can't think of any way to actively discourage those stun raids though, so I'll just have to frown and say "tisk tisk" at people who use that tactic. ;) ... . ... hmmm.. I just noticed that apoc'd doesn't have an option for changing the starting relations. It can only change relations in the save editor. Damn.

Yep setting the aliens hostile to the civilian 'organization' will make them attack those annoying sprites in combat. It adds some atmosphere and the extra carnage will hurt relations with the owner of the building for X-COM, but on the other hand it also makes them waste their grenades/rockets and a few poppers might decide to explode prematurely on some civilians instead of your agents! Kinda goes against their tactic of silent infiltration too. Still it makes for more lively combat scenes ;)

Unfortunately starting relations have not been found yet, they are somewhat randomized each game which makes it more difficult to spot the 'base' relations.

The organizations gradually become hostile towards the enemies of their friends, and friendly towards the allies of their friends. I guess these are updated every few hours/days game-time, so your scenario would work but the friends of the CoS would probably start to like the aliens as well after a while, causing them to refuse cash settlements.

• 1 month later...