Rebalancing mod?

karadoc

I'd like to know if there are any mods around which rebalance the game. If not, I'd like some information about how to go about making my own mod. I'll list the main things I'm interested in changing.

- I'd like stronger aliens. (Increase damage for spitters, increase health and armour for most aliens.)

- Toxin bullets should be blocked by personal shields.

- Certain things should take longer to research/manufacture, and should cost more (toxin, xcom armour, xcom craft, etc)

Of course, there's a stack of other things I'd like to change as well, but the things that I've listed would be enough to satisfy me.

[edit]

Following help and advice given in this thread, I've created my own mod. You can download it here. (I'm just adding this link for convenience.)

I was going to mention that you should get a copy of j'ordos' Apoc'd editor, but I see from your reply at the xcomufo forums that you have it already. ;):)

- Zombie

Yes. :) I found the config files I needed to get that editor working shortly after I posted here. It still has a couple of bad offset values, but so far it hasn't stopped me from doing what I want to do.

Apoc'd doesn't seem to be able to make the toxin bullets get blocked by personal disruptor shields, but it does do pretty much everything else that I wanted. I've always thought that the toxin guns were much too powerful; mostly because they ignore the disruptor shield. So in my rebalancing I've changed the bio-tech tree a bit so that more things need to be researched, and I've made the guns and toxin cost more and take longer to build, and slightly decreased their firing rate.

Aside from those guns, I've also adjusted some market prices, research times and build times; tweaked some of the stats for the aliens (the main thing was making spitters a bit less of a joke); increased the number of alien craft built each week (mostly just in the later weeks, but also so that aliens transports don't disappear so early).

I'm going to play around with it a bit more, then play through it to see if anything else needs changing. If people are interested, I can put the finished mod somewhere.

Apoc'd doesn't seem to be able to make the toxin bullets get blocked by personal disruptor shields, but it does do pretty much everything else that I wanted. I've always thought that the toxin guns were much too powerful; mostly because they ignore the disruptor shield. So in my rebalancing I've changed the bio-tech tree a bit so that more things need to be researched, and I've made the guns and toxin cost more and take longer to build, and slightly decreased their firing rate.

So editing the damage modifers for the Toxin rounds from 25 down to 0 doesn't work? That's odd... ;)

I'm going to play around with it a bit more, then play through it to see if anything else needs changing. If people are interested, I can put the finished mod somewhere.

Sounds good. If you are able to, upload the completed mod to our Files Section; we are always looking for things of this nature. Otherwise if you are having trouble uploading it there, email it to me and I'll add it myself. :)

- Zombie

Sorrow's X-Com 3 Revisited mod tries to rebalance things, though mainly aims to make combat more X-Com1 like (instant death): https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=174537.

I updated the cfg in the apoc'd offsets thread, that should fix the weapon set score requirements. Let me know if there are any other mistakes! Currently too lazy to update apoc'd instead, but I'm still working on the freebasic port which will have built-in support for the steam version. ;)

Sorrow's X-Com 3 Revisited mod tries to rebalance things, though mainly aims to make combat more X-Com1 like (instant death): https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=174537.

I updated the cfg in the apoc'd offsets thread, that should fix the weapon set score requirements. Let me know if there are any other mistakes! Currently too lazy to update apoc'd instead, but I'm still working on the freebasic port which will have built-in support for the steam version. ;)

Cool.

I have noticed a couple of other mistakes, now that you mention it. :)

The new offsets for the weapon set score requirements still aren't quite right. Easy is Medium, Medium is Hard, ..., and Superhuman is garbage.

In the save game editor market section, there is an offset problem near the entry marked 'Empty'. The data for each entry after that seems refer to the following entry. The market section of the Cityscape editor seems to be correct.

In the Cityscape editor, the alien building defences seem to be wrong. For example, I doubt that the Dimension Gate Generator has no Anthropods, no Skeletoids, but 16 Chrysali.

That's all for the moment.

Okay, third attempt then ;) Try the same link again. The Alien Building Defenses being wrong was a known bug, I originally thought it used a different unit ordering but recently discovered it was actually another case of an incorrect offset (though this time in all versions). It should be fixed as well.

Hmm perhaps I shouldn't have removed the external cfg file from the freebasic port. :)

In the save game editor market section, there is an offset problem near the entry marked 'Empty'. The data for each entry after that seems refer to the following entry. The market section of the Cityscape editor seems to be correct.

Seems like yet another wrong offset but since that one isn't in the cfg I'm just going to file it under 'known bugs' for the moment. :)

I just had a strong 7-man squad, all with shields and a couple with toxin B, completely eliminated during an ordinary mission at a Sanctuary Clinic place. I think my mod is coming along nicely. (In the unmodded version, I felt like as soon as I had disruptor shields and toxin I'd won the game.)

I think my mod is almost finished. I just have to tweak the disruptor armour a little bit and test some more stuff in the end game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just uploaded my mod, it is now waiting for admin approval. Here's what I wrote in the txt file with the mod:

Alright, I'm attaching my mod now but I'm not sure that it is completely finished. I was intending to give it some more playtesting at the start and end of the game, but to be honest I've had my fill of Apocalypse for a little while. I probably won't play the game much for at least a few months so I'm just posting my mod now as it is - mostly done.

My goals in making this mod were to make it more balanced (particularly to reduce the power of toxin guns and disruptor shields), and also the make the game more challenging. I've balanced the game so that I win (without reloads, etc) if I play at my best. I'm not sure how challenging other people will find it.

All of my playtesting was done on superhuman difficulty, and for full effect I recommend excising your willpower by not save-scumming (ie. reloading your save game when something bad happens to you) and also not stunraiding. This mod is meant to be challenging, so don't cheapen the challenge for yourself. I almost always use turn-based mode. Since I haven't done much testing in real-time mode I don't know if it is still winnable like that or not. I just prefer turn-based strategy.

Here's a summery of what has been changed.

Research:

- Most research takes longer

- The bio tech tree has been changed

- autotopsies are required before live alien research (except in special cases)

- The requirements for "The Alien Genetic Structure" are Anthropod, Spitter, and Brainsucker.

- The requirements for "Biological Warfare" are The Alien Genetic Structure and Multiworm Egg.

- (Other bio requirements have not been changed as far as I remember)

- The Retaliator research now requires UFO type 7 (bomber) instead of type 6 (assult ship)

Units:

- Most aliens and hostile humans are more powerful

- There will be a greater number of alien ships constructed each week

- Some alien missions will bring more ships

- More aliens will be deposited by alien ships

Equipment:

- Toxin guns are much less powerful (much less damage and lower firing rate) and harder to acquire (more expensive, longer to research)

- Disruptor shields are now extremely vulnerable to entropy enzyme attacks, and they are somewhat vulnerable to plasma attacks and explosions. They are also slightly heavier, so that it is less attractive to carry two of them. Watch out for aliens with entropy launchers! Hyperworms now do entropy damage to take advantage of the weakness in the disruptor shields, and spitters are also particularly more dangerous.

- Laser rifles are more accurate

- Valkyrie Interceptors are a bit stronger

- Entropy launches and dimension missile launches fire more rapidly

- Disruptor armour is a bit less powerful

- High explosives are lighter, so that they might actually be useful.

- ... other minor changes like that

- Some equipment costs have been changed (particularly hoverbikes and xcom produced equipment)

- Most building maintenance costs have been increased

- Government funding to XCOM has been slightly increased to absorb some of the equipment cost increases. (The goal of the cost increases was to rebalance rather than to make money tighter)

I think that's about all.

I've only ever run this mod on my own computer, so I don't know how easy it will be to run on other versions of Apocalypse. To install it, just replace your copies of "UFO2P.EXE" (in ufoexe directory) and "TACP.EXE" (in tacexe directory) with my copies. Be sure to make a backup of your exes first! My version of Apocalypse comes from Steam. I don't know if the mod will work or not with other versions of the game.

Goodluck.

• 2 weeks later...
So.. has anyone tried the mod yet? I'd be interested in any feedback. Does it even work with versions of Apoc other than the Steam version?

Sorry. Try as I might, I couldn't manage to get Apoc running. I'm playing BG2 atm, but after that I'll try the Steam version to see if that works.

• 5 months later...
So.. has anyone tried the mod yet? I'd be interested in any feedback. Does it even work with versions of Apoc other than the Steam version?

I liked these ideas for the mod so I downloaded it.

Your mod's executables crashed when I tried to run it in Windows XP with VDMsound. I don't know for sure whether there is a steam difference but your executables are sized differently than mine. i don't know whether Apoc'd can change executable size by editing. I have the CD-Rom version.

I liked these ideas for the mod so I downloaded it.

Your mod's executables crashed when I tried to run it in Windows XP with VDMsound. I don't know for sure whether there is a steam difference but your executables are sized differently than mine. i don't know whether Apoc'd can change executable size by editing. I have the CD-Rom version.

It's a bit disappointing that the mod doesn't work on other versions.

Apoc'd doesn't change the executable sizes. My UFO2P.exe is 1,705,790 bytes and TACP.exe is 3,161,594 bytes. I suppose it must just be a steam thing. Interestingly, the steam version just uses a mounted image of a CD-rom version, run through Dosbox.

Maybe what we need to do is instead of just saving the .exe files, we work out a way to save all the the data that is accessible with Apoc'd and then create a patch tool that can update the correct data in whichever .exe version the user has. We already have the different offset information from the different versions of the .exes, so it's just a matter of making the tool that can load data from one version and save it to another.

It's a bit disappointing that the mod doesn't work on other versions.

Apoc'd doesn't change the executable sizes. My UFO2P.exe is 1,705,790 bytes and TACP.exe is 3,161,594 bytes. I suppose it must just be a steam thing. Interestingly, the steam version just uses a mounted image of a CD-rom version, run through Dosbox.

Maybe what we need to do is instead of just saving the .exe files, we work out a way to save all the the data that is accessible with Apoc'd and then create a patch tool that can update the correct data in whichever .exe version the user has. We already have the different offset information from the different versions of the .exes, so it's just a matter of making the tool that can load data from one version and save it to another.

I realized that I was running the not entirely legitimate downloaded EU version from abandonia. I had just copied the folder and put it on dvd-rom so I wouldn't need to remember install instructions. I notice that those exe's were a different file size from yours. (TACEXE : 3,170,298 bytes ... UFOEXE : 1,702,206 bytes) I have edited data but not strings using Apoc'd I don't know whether that can change filesize. I just read that you said apoc'd doesnt change filesizes. Thats fine i dont know about this much, but how do you know for sure?

When I try to edit your exes in Apoc'd 2.34c, Apoc'd comes up with unrecognizable data. I also tried the import function on them, Apoc'd didn't recognize the exes and when i imported them, the data was obviously set to insane values. I do own the CD-Rom version and that will be the next thing I'll try for various reasons including getting your mod to work. I'll come back and post more when i get it installed.

The exes that installed from my US CD version 1.00 25th June 1997 are the same sizes as the ones I gave in the last post. Odd, I expected they wouldn't be. Apoc'd seems to load data from these exes the same without trouble as from the other version. Can't get the game to run yet but when i do i'll try importing or using your exes.

Right, importing, that's a bit painful since we're dealing with a steam version here. Localhosed: you'll have to download this modded cfg file which replaces german offset data with that of the steam version (for those who are using a german version, you'd have to manually edit the cfg file and paste the steam offsets over the default english offsetts instead). Once replaced try importing again. When apoc'd complains about unrecognizable exe size tell it to use german version offsets. Then it *should* work fine, untested though. Good luck!

edit: forgot the cfg file url: https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=178364

Right, importing, ... download this modded cfg file which replaces german offset data with that of the steam version .... Once replaced try importing again. When apoc'd complains about unrecognizable exe size tell it to use german version offsets. Then it *should* work fine, untested though. Good luck!

edit: forgot the cfg file url: https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=178364

I tried the cfg file. Importing Karadoc's mod into the CD version executables ufo2p.exe and then tacp.exe. I picked german offsets when it asked. I don't know, do i need to do both seperate? When I import ufo2p, it says it will update ufo2p and tacp exes.

Didn't seem to work though, here is a screenshot of the Research edit screen :

https://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2590/apocdimp1.png

Anybody else get it to work? Could be that I made a mistake?

You only need to import UFO2P.EXE, TACP.EXE will be updated automatically. (all sections currently known in TACP.EXE also exist in UFO2P.EXE so there's no need for a seperate import) If you try to import from TACP.EXE afterwards it will seriously screw up your data. If that's what you did try again without TACP.EXE, otherwise I guess there's something wrong. I'll take a look at it but mostly I'll try to implement it in the new apoc'd version ASAP, as that one supports the steam version properly.

You only need to import UFO2P.EXE, TACP.EXE will be updated automatically. (all sections currently known in TACP.EXE also exist in UFO2P.EXE so there's no need for a seperate import) If you try to import from TACP.EXE afterwards it will seriously screw up your data. If that's what you did try again without TACP.EXE, otherwise I guess there's something wrong. I'll take a look at it but mostly I'll try to implement it in the new apoc'd version ASAP, as that one supports the steam version properly.

I didn't even notice that apoc'd had an import feature! That's exactly what we need to use to get a good consistent method of installing the mod. Maybe I could bundle mod with apoc'd and a special config file for each version of the game. So then importing the mod from my Steam version would just be a matter of picking the right config file for the import. But obviously it would be better to just use the new version of apoc'd when it is ready.

What I think would be ideal is if the new version could automatically detect the correct game version based on the .exe file, and also import mod data from one version to another via a command line, like "apoc'd -import mod/ufo2p.exe". That way mods could be installed or uninstalled easily by just using a .bat file. Also, I'd be more comfortable installing mods in that way because it would mean that I only have to trust apoc'd. If someone just gives me their .exe files then maybe it's their mod or maybe it's their trojan horse; but if apoc'd is used to import the data then it will always be safe (as long as apoc'd itself isn't evil).

I am currently envisioning this method of importing for the next version:

The mod files should be put in a seperate directory in the xcom3 base dir. These files include UFO2P.EXE and/or TACP.EXE plus any number of other files which would simply be replaced if the mod were to be installed (tiles data, buildings data, UFOpaedia entries, ...). The mod then would also have it's own file in the base dir which details some settings (at minimum it should have: TACP.EXE present yes/no, also import string data yes/no (needs to be present as otherwise importing from a german version would effectively translate parts of the game to german. Though it would more likely crash as there's not enough room in the english exe for the longer names in german) and a list of the other files to replace.) The name of that file should be the same as the mod's subdir. I would probably put an asterisk in front of the filename to denote a currently active mod.

I will probably also change the backup system: put all backups in their own map&file so it would just be a 'mod' which you can just import to restore all data back to normal. A batch file to move the existing backups of previous apoc'd versions to that location shouldn't be too hard to make.

Sounds good?

I am currently envisioning this method of importing for the next version:

Sounds good?

That sounds good to me. I have been swapping around exes and getting disorganized about which version I was using. Will it be able to work with roadwar, maybe detecting its changes and making a new copy of the mod?