Hearts of Iron 2

FullAuto

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what the AI constantly did to me and let the Americans do the fighting, and then either A)finish what's let off and walk in, or B) just walk in like king shit.

BTW, are you actively fighting the Americans now?

And another question I was wondering about...when I was doing the Cocaine War yesterday I kept having Paraguay and Ecuador "influencing" my nation. Now, I don't know what exactly that does to me. Nor do I really know what it does when I do it to other nations.

Also, I noticed as the time went on as Brazil the morale of my troops got bigger and bigger. So much so that the bar was almost full. Was that because of the infantry research I did and spend some of my IC in Upgrade that turned Infantry '36 to Infantry '41 and so on?

And one more thing I guess. When you conquer other countries...what's the advantage of annexing them. Later on suppose you want to liberate them and keep them as a puppet...what's the advantage in that. Along that lines, what's the advantage of completely freeing another nation from being a puppet?

BTW, are you actively fighting the Americans now?

No, just mutually invading the Axis.

And another question I was wondering about...when I was doing the Cocaine War yesterday I kept having Paraguay and Ecuador "influencing" my nation. Now, I don't know what exactly that does to me. Nor do I really know what it does when I do it to other nations.

Basically it means you're a bit friendlier. Relations go from +200 to -200. Higher it is, the friendlier you are. This can help give you better trades, better chance at an alliance, etc.

Also, I noticed as the time went on as Brazil the morale of my troops got bigger and bigger. So much so that the bar was almost full. Was that because of the infantry research I did and spend some of my IC in Upgrade that turned Infantry '36 to Infantry '41 and so on?

Aye, Org increases with each new model of unit, and can also be increased by doctrinal research.

And one more thing I guess. When you conquer other countries...what's the advantage of annexing them. Later on suppose you want to liberate them and keep them as a puppet...what's the advantage in that. Along that lines, what's the advantage of completely freeing another nation from being a puppet?

Annexation = their nation becomes part of yours, almost. You may still have partisan trouble, but you get some of their IC and resources. I think 'full IC takeover' is an option you might want to expore, makes conquest more worthwhile. The more IC you have, the bigger your TC is. The more partisans you have, the more your TC is stretched.

Puppet - though nominally an independent country, having its own IC, resources, forces etc, it's entirely under your control and after it's built up a small stockpile of resources, passes any surplus on to you. No partisan probs for you either.

Ally - no particular benefits to you, but the country will be stronger, with its own stockpiles, etc.

Best unit for suppressing partisans is a garrison, with a military police brigade if you want to go full-on. They suppress partisans in their current province and, to a lesser extent, adjacent provinces, so you only need 1 per 4/5 provinces, depending upon geography.

Whether you annexe, puppet or liberate is up to you, but puppeting small, resource-rich but IC-poor countries is usually a good choice.

Picked up a superb book in the hiatus caused by a broken keyboard. Rising Sun Victorious - The alternate history of how the Japanese won the Pacific War. Ten essays from military historians about the turning points of the theatre, and how they could have turned the other way. I have to be careful reading this sort of thing, as it may egg me on to something silly.

Similar to Macksey's Invasion - The German invasion of England, July 1940, the alternate history really gets my juices flowing and makes me want to play the game even more. I spend more time thinking about this game than I do playing it.

Invasion (as I'm a Brit) sucked me in completely. I've looked into Operation Sealion before, but Invasion convinced me German success was more than a minor possibility.

RSV varies, as it's ten different military historians. Some are engaging, some are not, but they are all competently written, well researched, and worryingly plausible. It was particularly enjoyable for me to read as I'm currently playing Japan, and could well be facing a numerically superior US Navy in the Pacific in the next few years. And Yamamoto is still alive! ;)

In the same vein, What If? : Military historians imagine what might have been are alt history essays about events as far back as Biblical times all the way up to the present day (covers The English and American Civil Wars, Napoleonic Wars, World Wars, etc). Again, they vary, but there's a wide range of viewpoints represented, and some fascinating historical stuff I never knew. It's not all Euro/American-centric, either, though a good chunk of it is to do with 18th century America.

The very first, the Siege of Jerusalem, and the possible consequence of there being no (or very little) Abrahamic religion just because of the siege of one city was a bit of a mind-boggler.

I tend to dislike the view that history can be changed through one small action, that you can flip switch B instead of A and the future would be totally different, but sometimes it is true, and looking at those focal points with the benefit of hindsight is great.

Ian Kershaw examines such points in Fateful Choices - The decisions that changed the world, 1940-41. Most of them are obvious times and events, e.g. Britain fighting on, German invading the SU, Japan attacking the US, but Kershaw points out the limitations in intelligence, logistics, finance, military power, motivation, and so on. Not alt history, but when reading it, it's easy to think about how things could have been different and how that could have happened.

And it was all going so well:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/berlinmine.jpg

For Hitler, until he took me on, that is!

Mmm, my first taste of Italy:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/japvenice.jpg

Why, I can smell a hint of bolognese, peppers ripening in the sun, sloe-eyed maidens hiding coyly in the vineyards, a whiff of cheese that smells exactly like dead men's feet, a splash of grappa, a squirt of anisette, a smidgeon of organised crime, a buffet of pompous fascism and ah yes, sewers. Italy!

The first ever Japanese parachute drop, a division of the toughest, meanest, lightest Japanese soldiers that evar wuz:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/1stparadrop.jpg

Now that the principle has been proved to the Emperor (a thousand blessings fall upon him like warm, gentle, sexy rain), I can start using it to capture those few remaining VP provinces of the SU and get rid of the country once and for all. Mwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I can liberate quite a few countries now. Poland, Romania, Kazakhstan, Siberia, Slovakia, Czechslovakia, Latvia, the TransUral Republic...don't think I'm going to, as they're mostly large countries, and the dissent hit I'll take will be massive, but it's always nice to have the option.

I cut off the Yanks from Italy, ensuring only I can carry on the invasion:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/nitaly.jpg

With northern Italy conquered, I hope to create a small puppet there (IIRC Italy was a fairly recent cobbling together of smaller nations, so it should be easily divisible into puppets), and then stop and rest my little legs.

Europe, 1950:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/italynorway.jpg

Just Italy and that well-known Fascist haunt, Norway, to take care of.

At long last, the Soviet Union is dissolved, and the Nipponese Empire expands once more:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/sovujap.jpg

Coincidentally, this boosts my belligerence to 238. Nice one.

Holy shit. That's one big ass empire. Kinda funny that the world is almost totally split between the most Western nation and the most Eastern nation...which are in turn Pacific neighbors. Weird, makes you wonder how things would've turned out. Probably badly for the Japanese. Are you going to start heading towards the Mid East some? Also, notice how the orange area in the Yugoslavian area looks like a mini-Iran.

As for alternate history...IMO, a lot of it is written as if the author kinda wished it really had happen. I don't know if that's true, but that's the vibe I kinda get from some of these. The only alternate history I've ever read was actually a sci fi series called Worldwar. It was basically about what happens when friggin' aliens invade the Earth in 1941.

The problem is, the aliens are EXTREMELY slow to advance. They keep it that way on purpose because they're pretty scared of rapid change. So when they scout out the Earth for invasion, they did it in Dark Ages. They assume humans are still riding on horseback shooting arrows. They assume this because two other races the "Race" (as they call themselves, they're lizard people) has conquered both were primitive and slow to advance.

Space travel being what it is (no faster than light engines) they go into cold sleep and make the 50+ year journey to invade (they leave "Home" sometime in early 1890s) and subjugate Earth for the follow on colony ships to complete their domination of Earth. Humans being how we are, aren't the horseback riding barbarians we once were.

Alien gear tends to be similar to what we have nowadays. Super tanks, jet aircraft, assault rifles. But the Race supply is finite and they aren't the best fighters because of their inability to change quickly. Humans on the other hand learn rapidly and are able to not beat the Race, but harass the hell out of them. They've also formed an informal alliance of the US, UK, Germany, USSR, and Japan. Humans also being what we are, are able to learn from alien technology quickly and eventually reproduce things and use them against the Race.

How this is alternate history is that it uses historical figures in the novels. Patton, FDR, Churchill, Hitler, Stalin...and lesser known people like General Groves, Enrico Fermi, Otto Skorzeny (who, BTW, is a complete bad ass IRL. When you think of a professional soldier, Otto is the picture of that).

There's some good alt history fiction about, certainly. The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth, Fatherland by Robert Harris, Zero Over Berlin by Joh Sasaki, and others. There's also some right crap out there too. ;)

Are you going to start heading towards the Mid East some?

Definitely thinking about it. Persia is exposed and oil rich. While I don't need more oil supplies, it would be nice, and capturing Persia will also give me a port in the Gulf. This will be inside the range of my ships, so I can get some fleets out there. From there, I can hit Saudi Arabia and a few other countries. There are several small Allied-controlled nations (Iraq, Aden, Yemen, etc) that I'll have to skirt around, but no major force in the area. Grabbing the Suez will be a good move in case of war with the Allies, so I'll see about getting myself in position to do that.

You might as well, IMO. You've gone this far so why stop at a group of poorly defended, non-Allied nations? Taking the Suez and Turkey would mean that the Allies would have to go all the way around Africa if they wanted to do anything...or get bottled up in the Med. Also, for no other reason, take the oil so you can deny it to other nations. As units get more advanced, they're going to use more oil and eventually the Allies are going to start going negative if they build up a military, I think.

Kinda funny it's you, as Japan, doing what the Russians have been trying to do for 500 years. Which is get access to the Indian Ocean through Iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan/India.

Also, are you able to, by covert means obviously, pick off British Empire possessions? Like India and it's Africa/Mid East territories? Because if you can, then having the large majority of the Mid East under your thumb would go a long way to controlling the oil in the world.

Also, I suppose the only other places you could possibly go now is into Africa (but why would you want to?) or South America. Though, again, why...

The good thing about a lot of the smaller countries is that they offer little to no partisan trouble. Africa's worth conquering if you can as there's a decent amount of resources there, and it's no trouble to rule. It's a bugger to fight across though, so it depends on who you are. Like parts of the SU, it's a lot of geography with some very low infrastructure sections, which means it takes ages to conquer even against minimal resistance.

India should have went already, independence has been delayed, so I think it'll go off when this war ends (fall of Italy/Norway). It's an interesting possibility. Post-independence it won't have any friends, and will be short of troops. Again, a large geographical area, decent resources but low IC. Might make a nice, if bulky, puppet.

Well, if you're looking for IC, then Western Europe and America are the only places left that have any. Too bad for you the the US is probably as powerful as you are, and aren't nearly as stretched.

What do you plan on doing with all of this territory you've gobbled up? With your belligerence that high, it's only a matter of time before you start World War 2.5. Are you planning once you've gotten what you want (Berlin and the I-talian peninsula) to puppet them and kinda sit back and enjoy your shadow empire? Does puppeting nations make your belligerency go down?

Anyway, what's your global plan?

I want to puppet some chunks of it, namely large portions of the SU that aren't rich in anything but partisan activity right now.

I daresay someone will pick a fight, and if it's the US that means the Allies as well. Allocate nukes for London, New York, and a few other targets in North America (not forgetting Canada, those hockey fans are tough). My army is in the west already, which is good. So is some of my air force, enough for defensive cover anyway. Watching the US invade the Pacific would be entertaining, the place is a web of fleets and naval bomber wings, and I still have a technological edge over the US in both areas. All my islands are fortified, AA'ed and infrastructured to the maxmimum, and all garrisoned with infantry. Despite the Americans' numerical superiority, a few nuke strikes would reduce their force's effectiveness, then conventional ICBM strikes would cripple their ports, airfields and provinces in the Pacific. Just splashed out on a brand new carrier fleet, now I have the IC for it.

My biggest worry ATM is policing the territory I have, without using an exorbitant amount of units. I'm building some paras to use as an internal QRF, stationing them every few hundred miles along the 'spine' of my empire, so if a province revolts, in a matter of hours I can drop boots on them and quash the rebellion. They'll also come in handy in case of another war.

Depends on the country. Basically, if there's a region in that country that has, or could, form a separate nation, then you can create that new country. All the 'stans I've created are from former Soviet provinces, they were just regions in the SU, but because the potential is there to form a new country, it is an option.

As an example closer to your heart, if I conquered the US, I could create the Confederate States of America.

Well, I cut the Americans off from northern Italy, but a combined Brit/Spanish/French/Yank force pushed in from the west:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/framenteritalwest.jpg

With a lot of British air support. They bombed the shit out of Italy, and surged forward, cutting me off.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/persiatime.jpg

Time to turn Persiawards.

I created a nice little state out of the conquered bit of Italy:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/isr.jpg

Set a few armies there in case of war with the Allies, and headed for the Middle East.

My first nuclear sub is built:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/1stnukesub.jpg

That sneaky beauty will get up to some shenanigans in war, I tell you. And there's dozens more where that baby came from en route.

With little for my air force to do, I set about bombing Norway:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/bombnorway.jpg

It's the last German outpost, and has held off the Allies so far. Plastering it with bombs probably won't tip the balance but it means some experience and minimal casualties for my tac bombers. Sorry, Norway.

Goodbye Italy:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/bbitaly.jpg

It's not going to be much of an asset to France with the radioactive hole I put in Rome.

Aw, that's too bad you didn't get all of Italy. But it's kinda like what happened to me in my last game where the Soviets cut me off before I was able to capture all of France and a chunk of Germany. When the AI wants to move, it does so fast and with force. Wish I could move my troops that fast. ;)

The international community is up to their old tricks again, not liking that France annexed Italy. I'm assuming your belligerence is sufficiently high to go after France if you so desire? Though, that might not be such a good idea with a combined allied force at your doorstep. :)

It looks like Berlin is still a holdout for German troops, correct? What are you going to do about them? I had the same problem in my game. :oh:

- Zombie

Wow, look at France trying to wear the big boy pants. Which is more of a joke...an Italy run by France, or an Italy run by I-talians? :oh: At least you got most of the good Northern Italian provinces (Milan and Venice, though you missed Genoa...hmmm, salami). You may or may not know, but Northern Italians look down on the rest of Italy as a buncha backwoods hicks and mobsters.

But now if you think about it, you might not be very welcomed in Italy. Besides being Asians, you also NUKED THE DAMN POPE. That's pretty extreme.

Reminds me of a joke that goes a little something like this...

"A general during the Napoleonic Wars is sitting in his command tent going over battle plans and maps. Suddenly, his aide-de-camp runs in out of breath.

'General! General! I have urgent news! The Italians...they've entered the war!' huffs the aide-de-camp.

'Well, okay. Send 10 divisions to the front to defeat the Italians.' says the General.

'But, sir...you don't understand. The Italians have entered the war on our side...' said the aide-de-camp.

'Hmm...then send 20 divisions immediately to defend them.' says the General, less confidently."

I wonder what the US is going to do with the territory it's captured in the war so far.

I'm assuming your belligerence is sufficiently high to go after France if you so desire?

I'm a dictatorship, so I can DoW on anyone, whenever I like! :oh:

It looks like Berlin is still a holdout for German troops, correct? What are you going to do about them? I had the same problem in my game.

I'm waiting around a bit for the Allies to clear up in Norway, so the only German territory left is Berlin. Then I steam in, capture Berlin, annexe Germany, it belongs to me, and the Allies get PNG'd out. Because Berlin is unoccupied and a VP province, despite the fact that the US has most of Germany, the US cannot annexe Deutschland.

Assuming the weather stays clear, I'll invade Persia in late October, and it'll all be over by Christmas. I've got 30 divisions and two wings of tac bombers to their 20-ish divisions.

Huh? So you can just backdoor-conquer Germany like that? Sneaky. So you'll gain the whole of pre-war Germany? How is it that you can do that? I thought it was only the territory you directly controlled. Because when I last played The Plantiean War, I got roughly 45% of Argentina...Chile got the rest. But I had the most important provinces...Buenos Aires and the surround provinces. So when I annexed 'tina all I got were those provinces and two southern ones near the Antarctic.

Hmm, not sure. Perhaps the territories Chile held on to were disputed previously between the Argies and the Chilles?

I'll get Germany, yes, don't know if that includes the Rhineland though.

The Brits hit the fjords:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/britshitfjords.jpg

Tempting...

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/tempting.jpg

But no!

I'm a dictatorship, so I can DoW on anyone, whenever I like! :)

How convenient! :oh:

I'm waiting around a bit for the Allies to clear up in Norway, so the only German territory left is Berlin. Then I steam in, capture Berlin, annexe Germany, it belongs to me, and the Allies get PNG'd out. Because Berlin is unoccupied and a VP province, despite the fact that the US has most of Germany, the US cannot annexe Deutschland.

This ties into the post above, so please keep us informed what happens when you annex Germany. ;)

Assuming the weather stays clear, I'll invade Persia in late October, and it'll all be over by Christmas. I've got 30 divisions and two wings of tac bombers to their 20-ish divisions.

Seeing as you are going to go ahead with the war rather than accepting their terms of peace, I'm assuming that Persia's army isn't much to talk about really. How do you know how many divisions Persia has though? Flights over their provinces and then guesstimating?

Aaaanyway, I just got the Doomsday expansion in the mail today. (That's 15 days since the day I purchased it). Proceeded to install it and when it finished a message box pops up saying I need DirectX 8.1.xxx and I have DirectX 9.0.xxx, and then something like I don't need to install a new version. I find it really odd that they mentioned this. Usually something pops up when you are incompatible, not when you are. :)

- Zombie

How convenient! :oh:

Dictatorships tend to be that way. I remember playing Civilization or Alpha Centauri and if you have a form of government that's anywhere close to a democracy...OMFG, it's almost impossible to conduct a war that's anywhere outside of your borders. It really makes your nation a hermit kingdom...which is the EXACT opposite of a republics and democracies.

I wish in these games you could tailor your governments. I'd make mine like in the book Starship Troopers. Democratic AND ass kicking.

Well, you can tailor your government but it takes ages just to get anywhere. I found that out with my US campaign. If the game would allow you to change your sliders every month instead of every year, that would probably help a little. :oh:

But starting out as a dictator does allow you to take certain avenues earlier rather than later. ;)

- Zombie