X-COM Editors

Pumpkinhead

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually written one. It's still in the works. The next version is done, I'm just gonna clean up the code to give it a smaller .EXE.

The website is https://www.stonepool.com/xcom/

The new one should be up tonight. I'm so glad people are asking about this. I'm SO sick of the dos based editors. I've been able to find some info on the web but I'm basically just reverse engineering the dos ones.

If someone with a live sectopod in their containment in the Collector's Edition could send me their astore.dat I would love them forever because I can't seem to make that part of it work. I know what it SHOULD be but even with the old DOS editors it doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

-Chris Voss

ps - haven't gotten to soldier editting yet. I'm really enjoying writing this and findiing things out so I might wait. The soldier editor won't be in the next release (2.0) but should be in the release after that.

Heh, I wouldn't mind patching one together myself. Was thinking of starting off with a basic soldier editor to get the feel of windows programming. All my notes I've gathered on some of the data files will be put to great use.

Only problem is I'm going to need a crash course in the Win32 API as I'll be working from scratch. I've about given up trying to set up this academic copy of Visual Studio .Net I got a while back. How can you work with it when it won't install a debugger? Ah well, I can work with Dev-C++ and MingW, but it would've been very nice to be able to quickly slap together a GUI.

- NKF

I used Visual Basic 6 because I know it WAY better than anything else as I've been using it since 1996 (I was 14). If you'd like the source I'd be glad to share. It's really simple and I don't really see any drawbacks from using it.

Feel free to email me.

-Chris Voss

chrisvoss@stonepool.com

• 3 weeks later...
So there's no Windows editors out there at all? :(

I'd like to re-install everything, or even format, but I don't own a copy of Windows :P

IIRC over at XcomUFO J'ordos made a windows version of my chanjmap DOS map ... ahem ... "editor". Isn't Daishivas editor windows based?

• 4 months later...
Guest Gilesy1
I've actually written one. It's still in the works. The next version is done, I'm just gonna clean up the code to give it a smaller .EXE.

The website is https://www.stonepool.com/xcom/

The new one should be up tonight. I'm so glad people are asking about this. I'm SO sick of the dos based editors. I've been able to find some info on the web but I'm basically just reverse engineering the dos ones.

If someone with a live sectopod in their containment in the Collector's Edition could send me their astore.dat I would love them forever because I can't seem to make that part of it work. I know what it SHOULD be but even with the old DOS editors it doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

-Chris Voss

ps - haven't gotten to soldier editting yet. I'm really enjoying writing this and findiing things out so I might wait. The soldier editor won't be in the next release (2.0) but should be in the release after that.

YOU ARE GREAT!!! I was trying everting under the sun to get the dos editors to work on XP

but i just couldn't ,

Good Work!!!

I discovered that the editor i wrote about is no longer available on the net! So i uploaded the editor (UFOCHT.EXE) to my site. Joshua Malik, the original author seems to be unreachable with the address provided, if he wants the editor removed post here.

Link

Pete, Slaughter, maybe you can host the file, too ? The editor is very good.