Buying XCOM Collectors Edition

ValveJam

Just wait it out buddy! Ebay may not have any sellers of X-COM CE right now, but wait a couple of days. This version actually is pretty easy to find on ebay. Winning it without paying an arm and a leg is the main problem. Rarely did I see one with a final bid of anything less than $50 USD. I got lucky and won my new version for only $31 USD (not including shipping and handling).

Amazon does have it but paying between $99.95 and $172.00 (USD) for a new version seems stupid. What is even more stupid is paying between $71.50 and $89.99 (USD) for a used version! (These are current selling prices). I really got a good deal paying only $35 including shipping on ebay! :power:

• 5 years later...
Wow, whats special about the CE that would make it so expensive? ;)

is the game any different or is it more of a kudos thing?

Well, the Collector's Edition was optimized to run on Windows unlike the other versions which were entirely DOS based. Up till a few years ago, it was very desirable to have the CE version due to almost everyone running on Windows. It's ironic that now the DOS versions are more desirable due to the kookiness of Vista and Win7. The price hasn't followed suit yet.

Another reason is that it contains the "Big-3" (EU, TFTD and Apoc) all in one package. And even though the X-COM Collection contains more of the games (EU, TFTD, Apoc, Interceptor and em@il), it has nothing else of interest (CE has the Alliance Poster).

The final reason is perception/economics. If a lot of people think that a game is more desirable, the price will go up due to a greater demand. This price is dictated by a fantasy view IMHO. In reality, supply should also play a role in the demand equation. For instance, there are always copies of the Collector's Edition up for sale, so that means there is a huge supply of the version to go around which would ultimately mean a reduction in price. Same thing goes for the PSX versions of EU and TFTD; copies go for astronomical prices even though the market is completely saturated with people selling the games. This disconnect baffles me as it defies the laws of supply and demand.

Demand must overrule supply in this case, but then again, I regularly see the same game being relisted time and again on eBay because it didn't sell. Sticker shock maybe?

This false perception combined with the ease of getting the games for dirt cheap from places like Steam and the problems of getting the windows version to run on Vista/Win7 leads me to believe that this inflationary bubble is going to burst. :D

- Zombie