Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Only things you're going to ruin is your desire to play new games :cool:

Seriously though, lots of games and movies do not stand the test of time as you say, but others do incredibly well. X-COM, Fallout, Incubation, Beneath a Steel Sky and so on all play as well today as they did when they were released. Graphics aren't on par with today's games of course, but then again that's more or less the only thing today's games has. Initiatives like ScummVM, GoG and so on are excellent in my book!

Ok, I understand that people feel this way. People like to have 30 years old cars just because they like caring about them etc.

Personally I can not feel this nostalgia. Or, better, I can not say I have not found games better than those of old. Why play Fallout when I can play Fallout 3? Why play MoO1-2 when there is SotS, Sins etc.? Why play (I risk being banned now :cool: ) X-COM 1, 2, 3 when I have UFO series? Not better in every respect (not at all) but overall better IMO. If for nothing else than for the faster pace of battles, I can't stand playing one mission for an hour any more. I could though. A LOT. So as I said, I do understand this feeling.

If you've played the games you mention in modern time and feel that way, it's fine by me. I feel the only area modern games are superior is in graphics (and sometimes GUI), but that comes down to taste. Comparing Fallout and Fallout 3 is like comparing UFO Defense and Enforcer however, so I don't think that's a reasonable comparison.

Every game has good points and bad points. In order to sample all the "good" points, one must at least sample all games. Having done that, gamers tend to play the ones they personally like best - sometimes those'll be the new titles, sometimes those'll be the old.

The main reason you get large groups of people sticking to certain old games is because they have no parallels in modern times. Take Magic Carpet, for example - an FPS where you fly around on a rug, shooting fireballs. And lightning. And meteors. And entire fricken' volcanoes, rapid fire.

Likewise, the original X-COM is a game which lacks the long loading times associated with modern titles. It's small enough to stick onto a USB drive, and you can jump in and just play it any time you like - whether you're starting a new campaign or continuing an old one. There's none of those long, unpausable cut-scenes, boring tutorial missions, or really any special goals other then "do whatever you think is fun right now".

(The exception is terror missions, but even those can be all but "skipped" with negligible consequences).

Another reason people like old games is for the stories they might tell. Granted, story-driven games lack immediate replay value, but you still get people occasionally coming back to them like an old novel.

Finally, there's experience. Play too many games and you get jaded; you realise they all basically boil down to the same thing, and that you'll have just as much fun playing old games as you would if you continuously spent hundreds of dollars on modern hardware/software.

If I stopped buying games for the next three years, odds are I still would'nt've played through everything in my current collection... :cool:

Get a grip, people. Seeeeerioulsy. I don't even have the time to play current games, oldies are to stay a fond memory. I'm afraid that (if I ever played them again in any case) I would only ruin those memories.

I liken it unto cleaning out your closet and finding your favorite toy you thought lost to the ages (and/or a parents cleaning attack); or maybe finding an old book buried in the back shelf. I dunno about you, but everytime I try to clean my closet/go through storage, I never get done because I keep having to sit down and go "WOAH That lego set is still all here?!"