Upside down PNGs instead of TGAs? Komik..Novik..Anyone?

BlunterII

Hello, folks. I hope somebody can help me with the texture importing problem I've encountered.

Problem: I have been able to import hundreds of textures into the editor. But the only format I could do it with was upside down PNG. Up to this point I din't have the need to use TGA files.

Now that I started changing textures that require alpha_test (for black color transparency/ vehicles, shopsheds, insignia (orders)) - PNGs won't do it for me.

Question: What do I need to do to enable TGA files to be imported (or "exported" in terms the Editor uses). When trying to import TGAs I get an ODBC error In H&S. In Sentinels Editor it doesn't give any errors just doesn't import the TGA files, whereas upsidedown PNGs are imported with ease.

Is there some file or path that needs to be edited?

(I read Lotek's thread. Couldn't find the system/temp/texture_export.bat anywhere. So, couldn't even try it)

@Komik

If you are around could you tell me what format you used to edit/import textures in H&S/Sentinels. And how did you configure the editor to accept the TGAs? (I remember some of your mods had custom textures too, so I figure you should have a good idea on how to achieve that)

Any advice or ideas :blink: ?

Blunter

Nevermind people. I've figured it out!

As it turns out I wasn't adding mask layers to my PNG images correctly.

Now I can finally start changing those textures for Opels' and Bedfords'. I needed to create a carpool of different looking vehicles (U.S. Military Police, Gangster, Soviet diplomatic transport, etc.) with specific licence plates as part of the investigation.

I was also thinking about creating an early fall theme - yellow leaves with a touch of red (trees and bushes are alpha-tested too).

Good news for everyone. TGA is not needed!! (at least from my experience with British and US versions of Sentinels and H&S). PNG (flipped upside down) will do just fine. And will take 3 times less space.

(false alarm, sorry folks)

P.S. Oh, yeah, and another thing - when working with PNG remember it can store only one alpha channel unlike some other formats.

Blunter :blink:

Heh. Upside down PNGs, of all things. Fun.

Yes, i was very surprised to discover that. Especially with the Editor manual and every modder claiming Truevision Targa(tga) is the only format one can use to import textures into the game.

Do you have anything we can look at yet? :)

If you mean a playable demo - no, I don't have it yet.

I am working on a multibranching plot. Short description of the general idea can be found on my blog

I can post some screenshots if you are interested.

I am not sure if I can do it here (or even how to do it :laugh: ). But I could add some of the images to my blog site. I haven't updated it in longer than a year. My "textures" folder has grown from 5 to 250 MB since then. ;)

New Tudor and Gothic wall, window, door, frame textures, new facial textures/ added make up to females/ stuble and facial damage to some males, retexured weapons with diff stats and names, new clothes/uniforms, and a bunch more I don't even remember now.

(Scripting takes a lot of time. And testing too. ;) )

I've only three first encounters completely ready, tied in the scenario including templates, scripts, scenario zones, global markers, etc. I don't think it is enough for a demo.

The action takes place in Potsdam and West Berlin. It is not a sequel to H&S but is very closely related to it.

There'll be Mikhailich (now promoted from Lt.Colonel to Colonel), Kuzmenko, the officer the main character encounters in the H&S last mission (now a General in MGB), and many others Silent storm veterans know...

The main Character is with some shady past, originally from SMERSH section 4, then works for MGB for a short while, and gets transfered under Mikhailich's care. That's where the story begins.

I am planning to add some funny things too, like lightly veiled references to H&S creators, for example.

Insights into the real identities of various groups and factions are also in the making.

Like: " Did Thor's Hammer really exist?" or " What of Sentinels?", or "Was that a real nuclear device?" in Worm's Lair at the end of H&S saga, etc.

Blunter