Help with Installation of UFO Enemy Unknown!

dangermole

Hi everyone,

I have recently unearthed my Sold Out edition copy of UFO Enemy Unknown. My previous attempts to run the programme or install met with utter failure - ie small dos windows opening and closing within the blink of an eye so I have no idea what they were telling me.

Anyway I would love to have a crack at this after many years absence, so please can anyone tell me (in simple terms ) how to install the Sold Out version of this amazing game, or alternatively point me in the direction of the answer?

I am running Windows XP.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny story: I helped someone via e-mail with this exact scenario, then later compared my method with Zombie. This might have been on xcomufo's forum.

Anyway:

1. Make the game directory you want the game to be installed in.

2. Copy entire contents of CD in there. Leave off anything you clearly know doesn't belong to the game, like Acrobat and any extras or the PDF manual parts/translations.

3. Check that the savegame and MISSDAT directories are present, if not, manually create GAME_1 through GAME_10 and MISSDAT - absolutely critical if you want to be able to save the game! :laugh:

4. In the game's main directory you only need the sub directories and the following files:

DOS4GW.EXE

INTRO.EXE

SETUP.EXE

SOUND.CFG

UFOCD.BAT

(And maybe the manual)

Anything else can be deleted.

5. Rename ufocd.bat to ufo.bat (or whatever name takes your fancy as long as it has a .bat extension). You can skip this step if you intend to use XComutil to run the game, as that provides its own version of the main batch file.

6. Load up Dosbox, mount the game drive, navigate your way there there, run setup.exe and set your soundcard settings.

By now the game's good to go. All that's left is to configure dosbox to your liking.

- NKF