Information need to mod UFO:AM?

fallschirmjager

Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing an enhancement project to UFO:AM - my favourite game from the series - updating weapon and player models and adding extra weapons and such.

I see these forums have several tutorials that I am yet to test out for myself on modding UFO: AM but I need some further details before I fully commit to it. (Plus I need to play through it again and make notes on what I want to improve)

What I'd like to is the following:

Is there a limit to how many weapons the game can support? I've been part of a mod team on the game Brigade E5 and it's sequel 7,62mm and there was a limit to the number of firearms we could add along with the defaults

Is there a way to have an assault rifle and a grenade launcher function as a single weapon or any similar set up like a Master Key?

Can I make it so weapons can share the same magazine type? Like AR-15/STANAG, AKM, etc. magazines.

What polycounts does the game support in regards to weapons and characters?

Are suppressors a viable idea? Can gunshots be given a lower noise rating in game to decrease the shooters likelihood to be noticed?

Also, is there a way to add new weapons and items to the enclypedia?

Any answers to these questions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Fall.

- There's no known limit for items you can add. This doesn't mean there isn't one, just that if there is, we don't know it.

- I think Aralez's mod managed to do something of the sorts, but had odd effects.

- Yes you can, but when I experimented with this it made all weapons that shared the ammo behave the same way. You might get it working properly if you reconfigure them to work like the reticulan energy weapons and batteries do.

- No idea about the polycounts.

- Thing is, Aftermath doesn't use "sound detection" only visual spotting. Again, Aralez's mod seemed to do something of the sort by adding a smoke effect to the weapon/ammo.

- You'll need to modify the localization.vfs file so it matches the new entries. Note that this is not completely compatible with all game versions (depends on localization).

- Thing is, Aftermath doesn't use "sound detection" only visual spotting. Again, Aralez's mod seemed to do something of the sort by adding a smoke effect to the weapon/ammo.

Ah alright. I thought it had something to do with sound/light as I always end up spotting a Reticulan just as they fire their rocket launcher and such.

But thanks, mate, I'll defintely push ahead on this project and I'll get into contact with Azralez. I'll keep you guys posted as things role on.

• 9 months later...