Combo X-COM Game Folder Patch

Zombie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure why the pillar/corners should have anything BUT a 0 TU cost to travel past (keeping in mind that the flooring underneath accounts for the total TU cost in most cases). Rubble that your walk through, maybe, but a pillar that you walk past? No.

Also not sure that they should block HE (they're tiny), but I agree they should block vision and bullets.

Not sure why the pillar/corners should have anything BUT a 0 TU cost to travel past (keeping in mind that the flooring underneath accounts for the total TU cost in most cases). Rubble that your walk through, maybe, but a pillar that you walk past? No.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I was confusing walls with floors. ;)

Also not sure that they should block HE (they're tiny), but I agree they should block vision and bullets.

That's not the point (referring to pillars/corners not blocking HE). The purpose of them is to fill in an otherwise missing section of a wall. Thinking in real-life terms, if a grenade went off in your house near a corner, the corner would block the blast just like the wall does. In fact, most corners are actually stronger than walls because they have to stand up to abuse or are structural (meaning they are load-bearing). Size shouldn't matter. Alien alloy corners are made of the same stuff as the walls and thus should have the same properties. But then again, I may not understand how corners really function in the game. :laugh:

Concerning vision and bullets, I looked at the loftemps which make up the corners and they are using references 41, 40 and 39. All of those are pretty small. Would 101, 102 and 103 fit the bill (103 looks identical to 41) or were you thinking more along the lines of a invisible pillar type?

- Zombie

https://www.ufopaedia.org/images/6/64/Loftemps.png

Don't think it needs to get any bigger then 41. Maybe replace all instances of 39 with 40 at the very most, but, the pillar just isn't that wide on the screen...

Regarding HE block, don't confuse that with the amount of damage the tile can take. Sure, a pillar can be unbreakable, but that doesn't change the fact that, due to how thin it is, it offers next to no cover to anyone standing behind it!

• 2 months later...

Well, I've been doing some testing on UFO Power Source explosions over at the X-COM Wiki for a good many days now. I ran across a probable bug on UFO floor tiles. Normal UFO floor tiles have 80 armor, but there are combination UFO floor tiles which have an armor of 100. Strange stuff. Imagine my confusion when I was expecting one blast pattern but saw undamaged areas inside the blast radius. Might just fix this issue to see if there are any major repercussions with a lower armor. ;)

- Zombie

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Zombie,

great stuff you have there! Right now I'm trying out your latest Combo Patch - it should be called beta version of first REAL community UFO 1.5 patch ;)!!!

anyway I'm just curious - is Bomb Bloke's X-Com Base Stair Fix from 27'th August not included in your latests Combo Patch for some reason like not tested well yet enough or somethnig? :)

one more time thank you and all X-Com modders out there!

cheers,

Giniu.

I, um, never got around to making that work correctly (as per 28'th August ;)). Basically it makes it impossible for units to go back down the stairs. As far as LOF/LOS goes, though, it's perfect.

Should be pretty simple for me to fix, I just never got around to it.... The main reason being that the problem doesn't just apply to X-Com base stairs, really it applies to every single staircase in the game. So to be "worthwhile" I need to go around and tweak every single one of the things.

There's also tons of holes in various craft... all the diagonal walls can be fired through if you walk right up to them, as per this post. Actually that thread covers a few issues re UFOs. There are tons of the things, I should go through and patch all those while I'm at it.

And I don't think we ever got the Lightning's door working properly, either...

And I don't think we ever got the Lightning's door working properly, either...

No we didn't. I just screwed around with this again out of curiosity. I copied the stats for the Large Scout outer door into the space for the Lightnings door just to see what would happen. Nothing (the closed door looked like the landing gear which is because the pointer isn't pointing to the u_ext02.mcd - it's pointing within the lightnin.mcd file). Even removing this pointer doesn't help. So I think it has something to do with the fact that the Lightning doesn't have an open door image which is causing it to not function. Not sure though.

BB: Could you create a open door image for me to test with the lightning? It should have the same look and stats as the Large Scout door.

- Zombie

The open door in your Lightning fix pack is pretty much exactly that (tile 41). Can't remember what UFO I lifted it from, though, but I do remember that I tried a few different ones with no success.

Anyway, it doesn't look like a standard UFO door because making the Lightning use images from a UFO's image library is a bit of voodoo that'd likely cause more problems (without actually fixing any). Likewise, I linked it back to the Lightning's own closed door tile for the exact same reason (and vice versa). If you spot any other things I played with I doubt you'll have much trouble ironing them out.

Part of the problem is we don't actually know what all the MCD offsets actually do. Daishiva's MapView makes it all look straight forward, but it does so by leaving the unknowns off the display completely; you need to use a hex editor to properly compare tile data.

Part of the problem is we don't actually know what all the MCD offsets actually do. Daishiva's MapView makes it all look straight forward, but it does so by leaving the unknowns off the display completely; you need to use a hex editor to properly compare tile data.

Well, sort of. Daishiva lists the values for the whole record in grey at the top of the entry, but leaves them out in the description. Doesn't matter to me though, I always edit via MS-Edit and there you can see everything. By the way, the unknowns in 22-29 are all 2-byte values and are probably references. I don't know where they reference to yet, but it's a start at decoding. ;)

Funny thing about the Large Scout UFO door: it works fine on L0, L1 and L2. So there is something else wrong which is preventing the lightning door from working. That's why I thought I may need an open door image as there isn't much else in the record which I didn't change to match the UFO door. :)

- Zombie

• 2 months later...

I think congratulations are in order for the good work you are doing here!

I want to ask if the fixes are compatible with the DOS version of XCOM.

In addition, do you know if a fix for the weapons dropping through UFO floors in XCOM2-TFTD(DOS Version) exists anywhere? This bug was implemented after the last patch for TFTD in the DOS version.

Thanks in advance. And keep up the good work :laugh:

Yes, the fix should work fine on all versions of the game since it only modifies the game folders. :laugh:

I didn't know of the problem with weapons dropping through floors in TFTD v2 (probably because I normally play with the CE version). I'll look around in MapView today to see if there is something wrong. Should be easy enough to patch though. :D

- Zombie

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am glad it works for the DOS version, I am on my way to get it :laugh:.

The problem appeared after patch 2.0. It was in order to fix the weapons that stayed mid-water when a "flying" soldier panicked. But, after the patch, the weapons not only dropped when mid-water, but even through solid 1st-2nd or 3rd level floors of a UFO sub.

As a result, if a soldier paniced on floor 2, his weapon would fall down to floor 0...

I would really appreciate if you could do something about it, since it spoils much of the tactical game when assaulting multi-leveled subs.

If it was not for the other fixes, I wouldn't install 2.0 at all, just because of this problem.

After taking a closer look at the second patch for TFTD, it appears this isn't a terrain (or even a game folder) problem: it resides somewhere in the executable (TACTICAL.EXE). So for now it seems we are out of luck. Don't give up all hope though, we are finding out stuff about the EU and TFTD almost everyday. :laugh:

- Zombie

Back on topic here. Have you guys ever brought more than 22 soldiers on an alien base mission? If you came in with a full load of 26 soldiers on an Avenger, 11 will spawn in the green room modules (for a total of 22) while the remaining 4 soldiers will be dumped anywhere inside the alien base. This sounds like a bug to me, no? It can be easily fixed with the addition of a few more spawn points for X-COM units though. :laugh:

- Zombie

I don't usually bring that many either, but it's been around for ages and most prevalent in TFTD where you can get stuck deep into the facility. More nodes - at least to match the Avenger, would certainly fix it.

XComutil users may see it cropping up more often with the expanded Avenger, which I think had more slots in it. The alien base entry room files were also updated so that the units all started around the grav-lift. Can't remember if it expanded the nodes.

- NKF

• 9 months later...

I just updated my Combo Patch to include true explosive objects, not the smoke-producing weaklings in the original game. So now, those fuel pumps at a gas station really explode and so do fuel drums and missile warheads in an X-COM base, and navigation tables and pulsating red pods in UFOs/Alien Bases. :D

It's a little scary getting used to these changes as a once-powerless explosion now does damage (sometimes significant), but overall it's probably intended by the programmers. ;)

- Zombie

It shouldn't conflict with XComUtil or any other 3rd party editor assuming they do not screw around in the Terrain, Maps and Routes folders (and even if they would, it's unlikely they would touch the files I'm editing). You could install XComUtil and check the files in those folders for the date modified to verify none of them are being touched, but I suppose that's my responsibility since I created this monster. Let me get back to you. :D That said, it should be fine to apply this patch even when you have a campaign saved. Shouldn't be a need to backup anything either as this patch only fixes what is broken which is what most people want. :)

This kit is updated when I find an issue which needs to be fixed or when I remember. The exploding objects thing should have been added ages ago, but I didn't know if that was what the original programmers wanted. Looking at it a little closer the other day led me to believe it was a bug which needed to be fixed. If anybody notices a problem with the maps when playing the game or looking at MapView, please let me know about the issue here, otherwise I might forget about it. ;)

- Zombie