Trouble Logging In

Red

For the record, I've been having this trouble for months on end. Same exact problem in every way, and with Firefox.

I just assumed it was part of Strategycore's software. Most forums do tend to move to the front page upon log in, no matter what you clicked on.

Cookies cannot be the problem. All mine are deleted every time I "X" out of Firefox. Problem has since persisted.

I personally do not find it to be a huge deal. But it is a tad inconvenient.

Also, I just today managed to set up a brand new laptop (Shipped two mornings ago) and I am still having that same issue. I am seriously wondering why nobody else has encountered this besides us two.

What plug in? This is a brand new laptop. Everything here is from scratch.

If anything, logic dictates it would take a special plug-in to prevent the issue at this point. :blink: I will test this out on Internet Explorer now...

EDIT: Yup. Currently using Internet Explorer and the same thing is happening.

There is no excuse at this point. You're sure you understand the symptoms? Whenever we try to reply to a topic, while logged off, we hit the "ADDREPLY" button and are brought to the log in screen. After logging in we are redirected to the main page instead of the reply window to the topic we clicked "ADDREPLY" in. And in the address bar, the forum main page is pasted 'twice'. I can screencap it, for proof, but that wouldn't be anything spectacular. Nor would the "proof" be very valid.

This has been happening to me for a couple months. On my old laptop, desktop PC, and this brand new laptop. The only thing that was really similar among them is that I used Windows XP pro and Firefox 2. And the browser is out of the equation, since I am encountering the same with IE right now.

Well, it's not going to bother me if this doesn't get fixed. All this time I just thought it was just all part of the strategycore "plan". XD

On a less serious note.... I think deleting those cookies must've killed Red. Hasn't responded since. Heh

I've just noticed this thread. The exact same thing that Strong Bob reports has been happening to me for a good span of time now as well, Olav (every time, and again on this very post as I hit the reply button).

XP Pro, Internet Explorer 7 setup.

::

Back to the drawing board ? :blink:

Alas I've not been encountering the issue on FF 2.1.x or IE 7 so didn;t notice there was a problem :blink:

I'm also now on IE8 and FF3 so can't replicate the issues, but I believe you guys - it's not like this is the cleanest template after so many updates from the programmers in a short space of time. It's likely missing a bit of Javascript that's supposed to remember where you came from.

Just curious - if someone can still replicate the error, switch to the IPB default skin and see if you can replicate it there. That will let me know if it's just this skin.

Cheers

Pete... What you just said sounded a little weird, so I went and downloaded IE8 exclusively for this. (I know I need to be more constructive with my free time. >_<)

I have just downloaded Internet Explorer 8 and the exact same thing is still happening. In every single way. I even cleared out every IE cache and temporary file prior. You sure you tried to emulate it by using the "Reply" button? This issue does not occur if you just click on "Log in".

Also, I looked all over my control panel. I can't seem to find the forum skin options anywhere. On older versions of Invision Board, the skin option is right there in "Board Settings". I've been looking for several minutes and can't find the option anywhere in my control panel. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or am I absent mindedly glossing it over?

Also, I looked all over my control panel. I can't seem to find the forum skin options anywhere. On older versions of Invision Board, the skin option is right there in "Board Settings". I've been looking for several minutes and can't find the option anywhere in my control panel. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or am I absent mindedly glossing it over?

It's not in the control panel settings (technically). When you are logged in, look at the lower left of any screen and the skin selector is right next to the orange RSS feed icon. Hard to miss sometimes, but it's there. :)

Pete: the problem though is that guests cannot change the default StrategyCore skin so there would be no way of checking this short of giving guests that option. No time like the present, so I changed the default to the IPB skin and it allows you to log in successfully without dumping you to the main board. So it seems like the StrategyCore skin set is to blame. ;)

I'm just wondering, is it that big of a deal? Why not just log in first when you visit, then post? Or if you decide you want to reply to a topic (visiting as a guest and reading a topic), go to the top of the screen and log in there. When it returns, you should still be at the topic page (not with a reply window open unfortunately). I realize there is a bit of laziness involved here, but in Invision's wisdom, they left that reply button visible to guests if they don't have permission to post there in the first place... If it were hidden, there would be no complaints since it would force all of us to log in first before we could even attempt to post. :blink:

- Zombie

I figured it likely had something to do with the skin, but I'm not keen to try and fix it now that they're on about version 3 of the software being on the horizon, whereupon I'll be starting from scratch yet again...

I'll try and look into some sort of quick solution this weekend and see what I can find. Cheers for fixing that bit of the skin Zombie.

I'm just wondering, is it that big of a deal?

Well, like I said. It really isn't much of an issue, especially since it is something we've been dealing with for many months now, without a care. Since this was percieved, by at least one other member, as a problem, I feel compelled to support it as a witness.

Although I admit, there is some frustration that compells me to support it further. Foremost is that the first two responses to this topic were that the problem did not exist, until I elaborated, which caused some degree of frustration. (Kinda felt like the problem was being ignored, since both posters didn't even understand the problem yet.) There was further frustration when Pete claimed the problem doesn't occur on his IE8, even though after a fresh install, it happens with me. Secondly, I'm a known perfectionist, sometimes to even very trivial things such as this.

Frankly, if Pete decided this was not worth his administrations, it wouldn't affect me at all. I'll just keep on doing what I've been doing here, after all this time. ;)

I'll try and look into some sort of quick solution this weekend and see what I can find. Cheers for fixing that bit of the skin Zombie.

Seriously, do not kill yourself over this. It's just a tiny issue that is recieving more text than it really should at this point. :blink:

Yeah - it has always amazed me in my day to day web design work how things can happen on some installs of IE and Firefox but not others. Exact same versions - different machines. It's actually not as rare as you'd think as I've found over the years, but sadly that doesn't help when trying to fix things :blink:

I may see if my brother's got older versions of IE and FF and see what that turns up.

Although I admit, there is some frustration that compells me to support it further. Foremost is that the first two responses to this topic were that the problem did not exist, until I elaborated, which caused some degree of frustration. (Kinda felt like the problem was being ignored, since both posters didn't even understand the problem yet.) There was further frustration when Pete claimed the problem doesn't occur on his IE8, even though after a fresh install, it happens with me. Secondly, I'm a known perfectionist, sometimes to even very trivial things such as this.

Apologies if you felt frustrated, Strong Bob. It might have been that we didn't totally understand the problem until you elaborated on the details and spelled everything out. We take all issues, whether it be site, forum or files very seriously around here. ;)

Rest assured, Pete will locate the bit of javascript which is causing the problem and will replace it with the default IPB skin template which works. :blink:

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY I'm IN! Ok for the Past month I can only See and NOT post so I re-installed my whole OS. Cleaning the Cookies didn't help.

Also, after I Log in when I click on the next link it no longer recognizes me.

SO we have to keep cut and paste till I lost the Whole Message of errors and and Too frustrated to repeat it all over again to keep trying to post when the site keeps kicking you.

Probably a small virus entered my system. Let's see IF this works.

Probably have one section of the forum where we can Post a message when we are having trouble logging in.