Install Issues

Acunnon

Well I was digging through a pile of my older games and I came across this little gem of a game. Well the last time I played was on a windows I do not know what. I am running Vista now and when I put the disk in the start up poped up. I clicked install the cursor changes to the little spinning cd and that is all that happens. I have fond memories of the is game any help will be greatly apreceated.

Well I was digging through a pile of my older games and I came across this little gem of a game. Well the last time I played was on a windows I do not know what. I am running Vista now and when I put the disk in the start up poped up. I clicked install the cursor changes to the little spinning cd and that is all that happens. I have fond memories of the is game any help will be greatly apreceated.

One other forum member The Cisco Kid reported a similar issue. He seemed to have found a solution. Here is what he had to say: "Ok I have an update. I did a quick Google search for "Unsupported Video Card" and found a post by some one who had just installed the latest Nvidia Beta Drivers 163.44. He listed a few games that he could no longer play and Silent Storm was one of them. He rolled all they way back to 158.44 and was able to run the game. I did the same and am running the game pretty well."

The link to that thread

Blunter

I will give it a try I guess.

It did not work. I put the CD in I click install I get the spinning CD mouse cursor and that is it. I read that thread earlier and there is a major diffrence here. He was able to install the game I have not been able to even get it to install.

I will give it a try I guess.

It did not work. I put the CD in I click install I get the spinning CD mouse cursor and that is it. I read that thread earlier and there is a major diffrence here. He was able to install the game I have not been able to even get it to install.

Assuming that...

1)Your DVD/CD ROM is fine (meaning you've been able to install and play other programs)

2) You are not running any protective/anti-virus background tasks at the time you are trying to install)

3) you have a good copy of S^2/S^3 (you've been able to run it on a different computer and it is the original/legal)

4) You have updated all the drivers (mobo, video, agp/pci, sound, dvd/cd rom, etc.)...

... you might want to try copying the files from the CD onto your rig's hard drive and trying to run the setup from there. This method was discussed here

Let us know how it went

Blunter

Up untill this point I have been trying to install the game useing the gold version (the one with SS and Sentinels) and it has not been working. I dug around a bit more and found my original copy of Silent Storm. I live in the US and Sentinels was never released there so I bought a gold copy from Australia to get it. Any way I could install the game useing older copy of SS but now I can not run the game. I have updated all the drivers both automaticaly and manualy. I have tried to run it as an admin and I have changed the compatibillity mode to XP nothing has worked thus far.

I click the exe to start the game the disk run up the cursor changes to a spinning disk the cd runs down and thats it. One other thing the drive will not open/eject untill I log off and log back on again.

Up untill this point I have been trying to install the game useing the gold version (the one with SS and Sentinels) and it has not been working. I dug around a bit more and found my original copy of Silent Storm. I live in the US and Sentinels was never released there so I bought a gold copy from Australia to get it. Any way I could install the game useing older copy of SS but now I can not run the game. I have updated all the drivers both automaticaly and manualy. I have tried to run it as an admin and I have changed the compatibillity mode to XP nothing has worked thus far.

I click the exe to start the game the disk run up the cursor changes to a spinning disk the cd runs down and thats it. One other thing the drive will not open/eject untill I log off and log back on again.

I see :D .

It could be a Vista specific problem, it is also possible your CD/DVD Rom is malfunctioning (trying another drive could clear that up).

I have the US S^2 and the UK Gold edition(S^2 + S^3). Both work fine (on Windows XP though).

Do you have a copy of Windows XP (from your old computer, perhaps). You might want to have 2 OSs on your system for these kinds of situations. Just a thought.

P.S. Some people report difficulties installing XP on multiple computers. Well, I installed Windows XP that came with one of my computers on 2 others. All that needed to be done was to go through an automated identification process via a phone. You tell them a bunch of numbers that pop up on your screen they give you a bunch of numbers to input as a product ID. Very easy (if one owns a legal copy of Windows, of course)

Blunter

• 2 months later...
I recently tried re-installing and ran into this problem as well. After much frustration I finally tried running the setup.exe from the cd in windows 2000 compatibility mode, and viola... it installed. Strange because I have 2 very similarly configured computers and only one of them had this problem.