Which new building/terrain would you like?

Hobbes

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Well, I never played Final Fantasy (only saw the animation movie but I'm not sure they're related). To me, this is more inspired on the Alien series (anyone spotted the hatching chamber on the mod yet?)

blehm, the mod has civilians since it replaces the terror site terrain. If you ask what they're doing inside a mesa, well.....nutritional and other purposes.... :power:

Really? Well, I never played Final Fantasy (only saw the animation movie but I'm not sure they're related). To me, this is more inspired on the Alien series (anyone spotted the hatching chamber on the mod yet?)

blehm, the mod has civilians since it replaces the terror site terrain. If you ask what they're doing inside a mesa, well.....nutritional and other purposes....  :P

:power: Maybe you should put them in cages or something (or draw some alien ovens and put them there) :eh: Would it even be possible? Can you specify the spawning points for aliens and civilians?

I know! I know! A Zoo! And you could, like, redraw all the civies for that map and turn them into apes or something.

They act like apes, anyway. :power:

Is it possible to spawn items onto a map? A minefield would be... interesting. Or would that just be too random for a real fight? :eh:

Cool if it could be done, though, just for the sake of doing it.

Actually, the mod possibilities of the UFO engine come bubbling up through my mind. I wonder if you oculd make a decent RPG out of it.

*sight* those ideas are great but designing graphics is basically a pain, especially when you start from scratch. The minefield wouldn't be possible though because I don't think it's possible for terrain spawning. But the ape idea is almost appealing :eh:

I've been creating the City environment.....I've done most buildings already but it will take a week or so to finish all. I've done a Cinema that looks pretty good. When it's done I'll post a pic of it.

EDIT: OK, here's a preview of the Movie Theatre. Check out tonight's feature films :power:

EDIT2: I've placed pictures of all the City's large buildings on my page.

Hmm, how about a castle? Or at least the castle walls. The terror site has roads that go right through the map, right? Perhaps these could be turned into a section of the castle's walls, with sniper placements on the rampart? You'd have to choose one direction though, as I can forsee some problems with the intersections.

Just an idea I get whenever I look at the UFOs and think, 'hey, wouldn't it be great if this was a castle?'!

- NKF

Yeah, I'd like a castle as well, I've already created a basic fortified position but for now it can't be made to work because you need a 60x60 map to best design it. And for now it ain't possible, yet, to use those maps with UFO. The bad thing about using the standard maps is their randomness, since it almost prevents to make designs that link across several maps. The ramparts would end up looking in different directions.

Hmm. At the same time I just had an idea to try to make a better use of it. If you simply transform each map into a piece of a wall, you'll get a fortified maze. That might work.

EDIT: I've done a little marathon and if you want to try something resembling a Fort, go to the download section of my page. Sometimes the randomness works pretty well, others it doesn't.

One can always add some fixed positions for Sectopods/Cyberdisks to occupy :power:

I've enjoyed playing the fortified mod so far. There's a couple of things that I still haven't decided what to do. Unless there's something to close the gaps on the ramparts the aliens will simply fall to ground level.

Hobbes:

True, a walled off area with a keep would be very hard to implement in a 50x50 or 40x40 map. But a portion of it might not be too bad.

I mean, you could use the north to south road maps for one wall that faces in one direction. Then wherever the Skyranger lands, you'll end up storming the other side! The east-west road...a country path? Then the four way intersection could be the gates. As not all maps will have a four way intersection, there would need to be some method of scaling the walls (or entering the walls).

I mean, if we can't have one large castle, we could still have a wall to storm! (think Great Wall of China).

- NKF

Well, a single 50x50 or 60x60 single map that occupies the entire terrain would be the best way to create a keep/wall. I had designed one where the keep was on the other side of the landing and inbetween there was a series of bunkers and an outside wall.

I'm going to give all walls the North/South orientation to see how it works but the randomness means that most likely there will be gaps (because of the road maps) along the 5 or 6 walls that will appear on the battlefield. The two problems with all road maps is that they need to be completely clear for the Skyranger to land and their placement is completely random, there's no regards to how the end result looks (unlike Port at TFTD, for instance, where the maps adjoining the sea are placed automatically on the far east side)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone up for some playtesting?

I've finished the Apartments/City mod (with only some minor things remaining to do) and it's ready for downloading at my page.

It looks slightly weird, especially the colors, since most of the graphics were taken from TFTD. I'll post some combat pics of it later when I have time.

Just gone through this thread to check the suggestions. Thanks to XComUtil yesterday I've just been able to finally use 40x40 buildings on UFO and now it's design time :power:

I've already came up with a few 40x40 designs of my own (a HWP Factory, a Penitentiary and a Castle) and there's a couple of suggestions that look good: Airport and Refinery. Actually all of them sound good, but I'm sticking to the Area51 graphics for now. Anyone got other suggestions for military/industrial buildings?

I like the first. Most floor space and some catwalks. :eh:

If I remember right, the "frog" was a 20x20 battleship replacement.

If I'm not mistaken the Battleship is a 30x30.... my problem with UFOs is that it is hard to design something streamlined as the original ones because of the peculiar angles of certain tiles. And the insides are too bright......I always like to include light effects to give more atmosphere to these buildings during night missions.

If you liked the first building, then here's a little teaser. There's still work to be done but it should be done in the next days :power: