Which new building/terrain would you like?

Hobbes

I've been thinking about a new terrain mod for UFO but I haven't made my mind yet between the above choices. Recreating some of Apocalypse's buildings might be possible and I'd like to hear some opinions about it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see how Caves is ahead (out of a whooping total of 3 answers). I had added it as a possibility since I wasn't much inclined in that direction but I could use the alien base scenario, especially the alien gardens.

Well, I'd like to see all of the above environments, but the apartments is more interesting. Especially if trying to recreate the Apoc ones. I've noticed some traits of Apoc in your factory map (the one that you recently made) with these catwalks and balconies. It's a pity UFO has only four levels and not so much space to play on (although the latter is doubtful)

Well, I'd like to see all of the above environments, but the apartments is more interesting. Especially if trying to recreate the Apoc ones. I've noticed some traits of Apoc in your factory map (the one that you recently made) with these catwalks and balconies. It's a pity UFO has only four levels and not so much space to play on (although the latter is doubtful)

If you make a building with all four levels and with the width and length of the map then you just tripled or almost quadrupled the space to play. That's why some of the maps on TFTD seem so big, although their overall size is nearly the same of UFO.

i would really like to see slums, tho appartments were the closest i could choose from. firefights at the base of the elevator are fun. pure slaughter for the aliens when i camp, and you can still get sneeked unon in different directions if you just camp there. too bad about the level limit again...

Apartments would be cool but only if done right. I never understood why the city maps just had three houses a park and a corner shop in them... There shoud be a map that is just a skyscraper. And we're talking way more than four storeys here!

Well just had a surge of inspiration on the past days and the end result is here. It's inspired on the Research facility of my mod but I haven't tested it yet. I've also created a Refinery but I'm not happy with the result.

I want also next to create an Apartment scenario like the Apoc slums. Too bad about the UFO physics though :power:

No, I'm not dead... I've just had NOTHING to post at all with for Sectoid-Knows-How-Long.

Anyway, seeing a Cave Tileset would be really cool, and you could use bioluminescent fungus or something to be a light source, because otherwise we all know how dark caves are, and how annoying night missions are.

Well, redesigning a complete tileset is a real pain, so I'd prefer to simply use the current Alien Base set together with some elements taken from Mountain. However, the problem is that Alien Base maps can't go over two levels. That limits you somewhat, although you can still create some hellish dark mazes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've nearly finished another terrain, which is a 3D Maze. It has some of the design ideas I had came up for the Caves scenario but since it replaces the Terror Site terrain (I've dropped changing Mountain or Alien Base for now). The structure reminds me of a hive, although the tiles are all artificial looking. And it's dark, really dark and full of aliens inside.

I should finish it in the next days. Check this thread for updates.

They're all out to get you.... Chryssalids I mean :power:

I haven't tried the Maze with Chryssalids yet because.....well I'm not really looking forward to fighting the buggers on it. I've been finding out lately how Chryssalids are VERY dangerous inside buildings. :eh:

Mouse there either will be space outside for a Ranger to land or the X-COM units will spawn outside, like they do on Alien Bases. I put no windows on to prevent soldiers from taking a peek inside and also because I expect for nearly all of the fighting to take place indoors. However, I'll change that later because I think you're right: it wouldn't make sense to have a building without any windows.

Right, the Hive mod is available at my page (check the signature).

It's still beta, I barely had time to test it yet, so don't be surprised if the terrain does weird things. Try playing it with a Snakemen Terror Site.....you just don't know what might came out of the walls.... :power:

You're not alone with your palace :power:

I want to design a palace/classical temple/whateveritcomesout but for now it will have to wait until it's possible to use bigger maps on UFO

Edit: I've placed some pics of the Hive on my page