AvP1 gold edition (PC game)

As the title has, does anyone have AvP1 gold edition? And would he/she consider lending (I pay for all postal expenses) or selling it?

Recently I played AvP2 and can't help to notice that AvP1 was much more scary. I would like to play it over again but in the gold version (extra missions etc.). So if anyone has it and would be prepared to either lend or sell it, please contact me.

I do have the game (both normal version and gold edition) but I'm not willing to sell it or borrow it. Sorry. AvP1 is much scarier (and thus better), yeah. Can't really recall any extra missions though, not in the "campaign" at least, it did include some new maps that can be played MP or skirmish, but that's it. And the pistol is incl. in the "campaign" but not really sure if these things make it worthwile to buy the gold edition if you have the normal version already, unless you're a die-hard fan...

Not so much a die-hard fan as being aroused :oh: by recently replaying AvP2, Under the Hunter's moon modification (a GREAT and hard single-player! modification for AvP2 based on AvP1 movie) and watching AvP:Requiem...

Really, AvP1 does have a much better atmosphere. Scary as hell.

So... you have it but won't sell or lend... If I were you I wouldn't even say I have it, now you have brought an ancient Strategy Core Staff's Wrath Curse upon your head, MMMUUUAHAHAHAHHA!

Yeah, right. :P

Perfectly understandible.

EDIT: I read that each of the campaigns has 5 more missions in gold version and that graphics is much better. And you can save your game (I know this was added to the original with a patch as well). And even if the campaigns were the same replaying them would be worth the postal fees. I guess.

EDIT: I read that each of the campaigns has 5 more missions in gold version and that graphics is much better.

It's honestly so many years back I played it, but according to the box it's just new MP/skirmish maps. I played the SP parts (or at least marine part) through again and can't recall it being any longer. Might recall incorrectly though.

Graphics better? Can't really remember that either.

And you can save your game (I know this was added to the original with a patch as well).

I kinda liked that you could NOT save actually, it made the game so much more frightening (and, yeah, frustrating when you died by the last enemy on the map or so, or even worse, because you failed that stupid jump). Of course, having limited saving possibilities is perhaps best, so you can save a good portion of progress without having the possibility to save after every few enemies (of course, with real discipline you could force yourself not to save all the time, but since you have the possibility you kinda do it just because you can).

Damn, now I want to replay it...

Damn, now I want to replay it...

HA, GOTCHA! :):oh:

When I replayed the same level for the sixth time I was mightly glad for the patch that enabled saves... I liked the limited save ability though. At beginner you could save 8 times and at hard only 4 IIRC.

Anyway, give it a good run!

@Slaughter; I don't buy at on-line stores that don't have pay-at-delivery option. And Play.com (as mostly all others) don't deliver to Slovenia. Presiding the EU and having Euro seems to not be enough for these companies.

On the bright side, they do deliver to Iceland... and Guernsey. :P

EDIT; I found info that it won't work on Windows XP! Darn, is that true, Lord Argonaut?

EDIT; I found info that it won't work on Windows XP! Darn, is that true, Lord Argonaut?

No idea since I played it on my old PC which had W98... I can try it now though.

EDIT: It runs on my system, there's some sound issues though, seems some sounds get "stuck" and are looped. Not a huge issue however and there's probably some workaround (it might just be my system too)...

i loved the marine campaign in the original.... great sound effects and the aliens were tough even on normal setting. never beat the game though..... kind of a bad habit of mine to start new games while not finishing others... *shrug*

edit: first poast guiz :oh:

i loved the marine campaign in the original.... great sound effects and the aliens were tough even on normal setting. never beat the game though..... kind of a bad habit of mine to start new games while not finishing others... *shrug*

edit: first poast guiz :oh:

Welcome!

Funny though, you deciding to post for the first time - in the AvP1 thread. At Strategy Core... :P

Anyway, I got the gold edition. And huge sound problems running it. Will ask around.

You can download the SP modification Under the Hunter's Moon here. This is the only SP mod that I'm aware of (and that adds new content, not just changes sounds or something). If you find any more, please tell.

It needs 1.0.9.6 patch.

AJL mod homepage. This is a MP mod and I haven't tried it.

These seem to be the most popular two.

I'm sorry for posting more than one post in a row...

Just a weird info for all AvP1 Gold edition owners. It works just fine under XP (at least I didn't have any problems even without emulation) but it can have a big sound problem. Like looping the music from the intro if you interrupt it. If you don't you may experience huge lag in the game.

The solution is the weird part. I Googled all around and found some years-old threads, one of them said that it's best to play it without the audio CD inserted and that the lag should go away if you changed the name of the exe file. From AvP.exe to (for example) AvPG.exe. I did that and the game runs without a single problem. Not to mention that it loads in an instant. :oh: