How many characters are there?

Taargus

ok so i lost my entire first squad during the first contact battle with the reticulans then i lost everyone but olga from my teen/alien squad when the gate opened, they were right by the portal when the beasts started to spawn, it sucked but was really cool watch my team get torn apart while olga ran to the evac point under a hail of laser fire and manage to survive! anyway i digress. now im stuck with only one soldier and no new recruits. for now i don't care because i can reassign some tech and sci soldiers to my active squad. however i was wondering how many humans there are in total in the game because they are all unique and have a back story/ relationships to other characters(which is really cool) so i assume there are very few. also will characters have any special responeses to friend/family deaths. for example if rita dies while gene is in the active sqaud will she say something special like "oh my god my little girls dead!" that would be cool. im just shocked how much better this game is then aftermath, they really polished the game mechanics up alot, and the little extras like more characterization and research and production add alot to the experience, this game rules!

Just to answer the thread title: NOT ENOUGH.

Seriously, you will only get like two replacements (I can't remember what the exact number is, haven't played in quite some time) and some aliens, but definitely not enough to play X-COM hardcore style.

My advice: load the game and play each battle untill you do it flawlessly (no casualties). Do this from the start of the game so that you get the most out of the available soldiers. The overly-RPG system in Afterlight doesn't let you loose soldiers anyway.

do you ever get more reticulan allies? besides the two that join up in the beginning i mean? also the laputa faction promised to send humans to mars. does this mean that they start a new faction on mars or doe they just support you with tech/manpower?

Well I think the two that you are talking about are the twins that join you at some time. I'm not sure of the requirements of them joining but I've had them join in one game early in the first game I played but so far they haven't shown up in this new game I'm playing. I think they only show up if you are losing too much.

I did however get a new Tech/scientist, which was interesting, I dunno what the criteria for her showing up either but maybe it was because my workshop was empty for a few turns while I was training my workshop people.

As for the Reticulans, when the expedition showed up and I allied myself with them, I lost one of my rebel Reticulan soldiers and gained 3 expedition ones. Strangely enough, I didn't lose the Rebel Soldier/Scientist, because he's still out on that buggy terraforming the planet. I wonder if I'll lose him the minute he comes back to base.

<br />i noticed when i attacked the reticulans the aliens stayed in my squad and killed their own people. am i to assume that they will let my destroy their entire faction and not leave?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

which aliens did you attack? If you attacked the expedition the Rebels will stay with you.

Strange. First the rebel reticulans should have refused to fight the reticulans to the south and when you do attack, they should leave. Maybe you're running some kind of mod? There is a bug in the game though, I got to keep my scientist rebel reticulan because he was in a science vehicle at the time when I attacked them. I got to keep him even when the vehicle came back to base.

yeah i got to keep oghie as well i just sent him to build geos and wiped the rebels out before he got back. this was during my second game, i ended the first cause too many people died. it was during my first game that i attacked with the rets in my party and they killed their own. im not sure but by that point i might have had the total rebalance mod installed so maybe thats why.