Need Some Opinions

Pumpkinhead

to Ki-tat Chung:

to Alex_D: we can always have an alternate universe...

Of course. The idea of an alternate universe is seducting, but, if the X-COM movie project has a chance to become reality then it has to convice producers, distribuitors and others. By having it in an AU, they might reply: "People are not going to believe it, so they are not going to watch it. No audience, no rating so no money".

Only an exceptional script set in an AU that might happen to us (ala Sliders), can make it. The link to our universe (OU) must be present because the world items in X-Com are so familiar to us, then if we just present it without the link, the show won't be creible (basic factor) because the date won't represent anything. It is like presenting a movie where the Nazis won WWII.

The cases of LOTR or SW, they are fantasies in some degree that situate them in an a-temporal timeline. They never get old, they always attract people. If the X-Com movie project wants to succeed, then it has to fit there (as well as be well managed), otherwise it will never get funds.

Of course this can change if one of the members of the forum is rich and is willing to "invest" $12M in the project, then "no restrictions" :power:

Alex

You could make a screenplay about a paticular mission or a paticular month at a base instead of trying to go for a screenplay about the entire war. The best thing would to have a "Band of Brothers" mini series. Not a drawn out over commercialized series but not a short movie which wouldn't do the game justice.

OU in the future=future weapons. we are "inferoir" remember? we only have balistic weaponary. future might bring more advances weaponary. and there isn't anything wrong with AU. we could start off with "what if the aliens invaded at the home run/last page the last melinium" etc., etc.

For alternate universes, I've always been partial to the idea of the aliens attacking in the late 1800's, or maybe early 1900's. Technology would be even less advanced then, so what we would consider as every day equipment today would be considered very advanced back then. You would have to stretch your imagination a bit, but hey, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

- NKF

Interesting... fighting the aliens with late 1800's to early 1900's weapons. Just give me the trusty .45 long Colt, the Winchester repeating rifles for the sharpshooters, and a Gatling Gun and I will be a happy soldier in the late 1800's. For the early 1900's give me the Luger pistol (German), a Springfield rifle (US), and a Vickers machine gun (Britain) and you will hear no complaints.

Just for fun, how about letting me test out gas warfare on the aliens! Give me some xylyl bromide (early tear gas), chlorine or phosgene gas (for suffocating), and/or mustard gas (for blistering). Let's see the aliens don gas masks to continue fighting! He He!!! :eh:

Just imagine the poor scientists though:

1st Scientist : *picks up Heavy Plasma* What is this?

2nd Scientist : Hmmmm...

3rd Scientist : *looks at item very confused*

4th Scientist : Is it a gun? :power:

5th Scientist: And how does it work? Hmm let's see... And what is the meaning of that trigger?

3rd Scientist: Be careful! No!! Don't do that!!! ...

The unwary scientist pulls the trigger and... all five scientists are dead by now :power: :devil:

BTW, the mustard gas was in Jagged Alliance 2. Terrible weapon, if your enemy hadn't the mask. One turn was enough to knock him unconscious and then he succumbs to death completely helpless.

• 1 month later...

Something I've been thinking about lately is the idea of a Bond-like, Q, character, working in the R&D department who at certain points in the shows path, reveal to them the new weaponry.

I'm sure some of you are sitting there saying, "Well of course there would have to be." But, the reason I'm bring this up, is more to do with the show's lifespan:

There are a total of 28 research-required items (if I counted correctly), and since it would be stupid to bring in 1 per episode, that rules out a 1-year series. Even a 2-year series would require a new item being unveiled every 2 episodes or less.

So, what I'm asking is, do you think that a 3-year series, revealing a new weapon oo item an average of every 3rd show, would be reasonable? Or not??

Pumpkinhead Posted on Jun 30 2004, 12:02 AM

So, what I'm asking is, do you think that a 3-year series, revealing a new weapon oo item an average of every 3rd show, would be reasonable? Or not??

Sure, this is reasonable. Even a new weapon or item every 6th or 7th episode would be acceptable. There is just soooo much information this game possesses that the other episodes could be used for mission stories, alien research, etc. Unless you are hell bent on a 3 year lifespan that is! If the show is good, you could milk a few more episodes out, and still get in those new items!

Anyhow, the Bond-Q character is perfect to reveal new technology - that's what he does! :power:

You needn't reveal everything. It would be a bit pointless to devote an entire episode to introducing the laser pistol. :eh:

Minor upgrades come and go, but significant research would could have entire episodes devoted to them. Capturing and interrogating top brass aliens, or the launch of the first hybrid ship, introduction of the next wave of really tough badguys that'll turn the heroes into jam.

But that's not to say it cannot be done though. Just as long as you don't end up leaving big gaps in your plot that leave your audience going "huh?". :power:

- NKF

You needn't reveal everything. It would be a bit pointless to devote an entire episode to introducing the laser pistol. :power:

There wouldn't be an entire episode devoted to a research item. It would quickly become a mockumentary! :eh:

I was just thinking that at around every 3rd episode, something new could be revealed by the scientists to add to their arsenal. It would probably only take a few minutes of screen-time. Something more substantial, such as the UFO Power Source would have more time devoted to it as its usage would need to be shown.

Want if we used the storyline from Hobbes site

https://www.geocities.com/aadlg/xcom.htm

We could also use his storyline if he were to agree.

https://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=245417

This site is fanfiction.net were his story is novel is posted.

He has an awesome storyline, especially the 12 man group that is trying to control the world and the aliens to there agenda.

He has great character development and background mixed in also. There are important battle scenes, flashbacks for more information and much, much more.

Micrpose or Atari whoever owns XCOM now, would have to approve this right?

For research, you could do such things as lump all laser and plasma weapons together in one go. Only have a handful of episodes where new tech for humans is introduced.

But for alien advancement, give an unstable feel to the audience. As in, throw a sectoid terror mission right at the beginning. Then while the audience is still reeling from the horror of that, introduce maurading reapers. For the aliens, I'd think giving a real "omg, humanz r screwd" feeling might be original enough to keep the audience entertained(=series lasting). Have tech advances seem to come too late, too. No Star-Trek style new-tech out of nowhere to save the day. Have the humans come out of a mission by the skin of their teeth, and then you give the technology that makes them think: "why couldn't we have had that earlier?"

Of course, what do I know, right? Nothing, that's what.

I'd thought of Hobbes' fanfic, but once I started reading it, I started getting too much of an X-Files vibe what with the secret society and all. X-Files has come and gone and no one would be interested in seeing all the same stuff over again, which is something that any alien-related TV will have to be careful of in the future.

I'd thought of Hobbes' fanfic, but once I started reading it, I started getting too much of an X-Files vibe what with the secret society and all. X-Files has come and gone and no one would be interested in seeing all the same stuff over again, which is something that any alien-related TV will have to be careful of in the future.

Couldn't agree more on that one.....still on my fic you see the bad guys losing at the end, unlike the endless quest of the X-Files. And it's also true that I used a lot of UFO lore, which is also present in the X-Files, secret societies one of them. Like they say around here, that keyboard is worn out...it doesn't play any music anymore.

I've talked before to people about the matter of it being used as a plot for a tv series. I kinda used that method to write the fic, one chapter/episode at a time, when I realized early that it would need some 30 chapters and I hoped none more.

And that's the problem, it's simply too big and too complex.

But the biggest argument is, unless Atari would be interested in such a project, all such discussions are simply theoretical.

• 2 weeks later...

In order to pull off an X-Com TV series there needs to be some well executed early episodes to pull in and connect with the general audiance.

1st. You have to bring this "far out there" idea and make it feel like it could happen. You need a good introduction that explains why the aliens are hear, what they want, and shows the danger to human sociaty. Also having a good background on how and why x-com was created to combat this threat.

2nd. You need to bring the alien lore to the views in small but contructive doses. Make the views feel they are learning along with X-Com. Well placed autopsy reports along with "non scientific" analysis of the aliens. (in the form of soldiers chatting about the new aliens or mission debrefings)

3rd. You need to create intresting characters and develop them to add a level of humanity to this war aginst the aliens. (Band of Brothers did a good job of adding that personal feel). Its important to kill off some characters but some main characters need to live through the entire show. (Many views get pissy when the "main characters" die off)

After you grab the audiance you must keep the in the show by introducing new aliens, technology, and missions but not overwhelm them to the point that they loss track of whats happening. I would recommend introducing plasma tech late into the series and stick with the bulk of the missions having conventional weapons and laser weapons.

Some elements of x-com i would stay away from are the interceptions and manufactoring work. Its good to let them know how the UFOs are being shot down but try not to show too many actual interceptions. The finance portion of x-com should also be avoided. (again show how they get there money but don't go into funding problems and such).

Lastly i wouldn't try to go for the kill and have the last mission be cydonia. Instead end the series (hopefully just a seasion) with an alien base assult which leads to the capture of an alien leader or something important like that.