Most memorable XCommy 'thing', read me!

The Veteran

Almost put this in modding as in the long run that's kind of what it is but it's not strictly XCom modding so I put it somewhere else :D Anyway I already posted a new topic in modding since I miraculously reappeared today so I figure I might as well spread myself throughout as much of the forums as I can to make sure people haven't forgotten me!

Point at hand, question for everyone... What is the most memorable XCommy type 'thing' you can think of... For example you walk into a room and see a stormtrooper it makes you think Star Wars, see a glass of milk it probably makes you think of cows or something I don't know I'd just drink it... Point is, what makes you think of XCom the most?

Now for me it would be something like the stereotypical Blue personal armoured soldier with a standard issue XCom rifle and blonde crop top or something like that but it doesn't really suit my purpose... I'm thinking more like the Skyranger, Harvester UFO, or something from a different XCom like a space station from interceptor...

Basically something pretty big! The reason for why shall become apparent in due course but I'd like a little bit of input from everyone who best knows the game first! Let me know, even if your XCommy thing is a celatid or piece of xshaped dust list it anyway but try and think of something bigger as well. Personally I'm torn between the alien Battleship and the Avenger/skyranger but, although the b/s suits my purpose better its not really as XCommy...

Ahaha, I can already tell why you're asking, because that is the exact same question I have posed to myself. :D

That depends on what you need it for. If it's for box art, then my choice would be the X-COM logo, more specifically, the version that was going to be used for Genesis that can be seen here. Of course, you wouldn't want the GENESIS part. I think that such a logo on a white background would be perfect because it will draw the attention of everyone coming into a store. Why? Most games have box art that is too colourful. This means that the aforementioned box would stand out from the rest of the crowd, which is the whole point anyway - to have it be noticeable and have something that will make a strong association to the game. So the people who haven't heard of X-COM will take a look at it because it's noticeable and the ones who have because they will make a mental connection between the logo and X-COM.

If you need it for a trailer, in other words to put something into the trailer itself that will scream X-COM, then I would pick the Muton. I'd have to say though, it would have to be a VERY convincing render, at least on the level of Warcraft 3's animations. Why the Muton? Well, first of all, everyone who has played the game knows about the Mutons. They only appear in the X-COM games, so everyone who see that will immediately think of X-COM. Lastly, they looked strong and menacing, which makes a strong impact on the viewer.

Hey, you asked. :)

I recall once catching a superhero series on TV with one of the heros having purple skin and a green skin-tight uniform that was very Muton-ish. In fact, Muton sans the sleeves, if I remember correctly. Not sure of the title. Wildcats, I think, with dots between the letters. Mind you, being the stars in the memorable opening clip, they are still a good pick. Or perhaps go with the never-to-be-seen-anywhere-else muton leader. He's a bit more unique, what with being clad in red with the gold trim on the head and the personal armour shoulder pads.

I really wanted to say Sectoid, since it has had a presence in all of the games (if somewhat distant in TFTD). But they're only a brown variation with a slight change to the head of the stereotypical Grey alien - so that rules them out. They're too common! Curse you Dan Dare!

I'd go with the old reliable, the Skyranger. That's appeared as a cameo in a certain railroad simulation game by Microprose too.

- NKF

For me, when I think X-COM, I think Mutons. Probably because they were the most common enemies.

The craft, UFOs, weapons and uniforms, are all very "generic" when you get down to it. Looking much the same as those used elsewhere. The same goes for many of the aliens: Chrys=Xenomorph, Sectoid=Grey, Ethereal=Reaper, Sectopod=Mech... Celatid=Jellybean! :D I suppose even the Muton looks a bit like the aliens out of Signs (save the purple face). So in that case, I guess the Floater is the only alien I can't think of a counterpart for, making it the most unique to the X-COM universe.

I must admit, when I started thinking along the line of aliens I did think of Mutons first and foremost... I like the idea of the muton leader, does anyone have a decent still shot of him sat on his chair? The zoomed out one... I wouldn't mind taking a butchers at that and UFO only loads on my windows95 pc atm which takes fifteen attempts and 3 hours to boot properly...

Still for the purpose I have in mind though something like the skyranger would suit best. The XCom Logo paints me an interesting picture but I don't think it would be possible to achieve what I want to around that...

Keep em coming anyway, though this particular project may be on a backburner for a while as I had another rather good idea last week which I'm currently following up :P XCom is next though :oh:

I like the idea of the muton leader, does anyone have a decent still shot of him sat on his chair? The zoomed out one...

I do... Plus the close-up...

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/pics/intro/00.gifhttps://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/pics/intro/01.gif

I love the graphic style of the intro. Kind of anime-like. It would be cool if they made a cartoon like this!

• 2 months later...