X-COM Property Ownership

Danial

I can never keep up with who owns the X-COM property and so I thought an easy way to find out would be to do a whois lookup on the domain x-com.com, and when I did, the Registrant came up as Rockstar Games, makers of the GTA series! I wonder why they would have it?

Don't let that confuse you, Rockstar seems to be a publishing label of Take 2, much like 2K Games. The ownership of the IP seems to be spread out between Take 2's publishing labels, 2K Games and Rockstar included. I did that same whois a few days ago, but basically came up with nothing useful. I guess we'll have to see what ex-Irrational's new project is to be able to have those rumours confirmed or denied. Irrational recently got new web pages (2kboston.com and 2kaustralia.com) so I'm expecting some kind of news pretty soon. I think they're still working on the patch for Bioshock, so I guess some of their focus is on that.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested, I just came across a link to the United States Patent and Trademark Office that lists Atari as giving the following trademarks to Take Two:

• CIV
  • CIV II
  • CIV II FANTASTIC WORLDS
  • CIVILIZATION
  • SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION
  • X-COM
  • X-COM APOCALYPSE
  • X-COM INTERCEPTOR
  • XCOM TERROR FROM THE DEEP
  • X-COM UFO DEFENSE

• 2 months later...