I'M UNDER ATTACK!

Lonestar

I don't think there's anyway to stop the attacks unless you dismantle your defenses, let a ship land, and successfully defeat the aliens inside your base. If you shoot down a ship I think they just keep sending and sending them. It gets rather tiring.

Man... im back from the dead!

its Venom... and its been a while, fortify your base man... and if not at least keep a few soliders and a lot of tanks in a base in case they come in... you get a lot of weapons out of a base attack... i intentionally make a base of psi troops to attract attention and salvade :power:

Prevention is often better than the cure, as they say.

Prevantion:

1. Stop shooting down UFOs near your base. The closer they get shot down to one of your bases, the faster they become aware of your presence in the area. Note that attacking a UFO near your base is not the same as shooting the UFO down near your base.

2. Later in the game, the mind shield helps reduce their chances at locating your base.

3. Some players report that destroying the 'retaliation' scouts quickly stops the aliens from sending retliation battleships along. I find that the opposite happens, if you leave them alone, they don't find your base -- well, not as quickly. Just experiment and see which one brings you the best results.

4. Attacking enemy ships that land on the ground will not attract retaliation scouts. It's the act of shooting down ships that brings them out of the woodwork.

As for the cure:

1. Decoy bases. Not too cheap, but a rather nasty way of fooling retaliation scouts. Just put down one or two dummy bases near your own and cross your fingers and hope that the dummy bases get destroyed instead. You don't need to put anything in them. This won't always work, so do think about the defenses in your main base as well. A great investment that only costs a handful of heavy plasmas at best. This is only possible if you've got a few spare base slots to fill in.

2. Do not use impenetrable base defenses. The battleships won't stop coming if they cannot insert troops. Three fusion ball launchers and a grav shield can fend off most attacks but will let the occasional battleship through.

3. As a last resort: just defend the base. It's hard to make the perfect base layout and then defend it as well. Just keep at it and you'll eventually develop a system that works for you.

- NKF

UFO: Enemy Unknown, this game is, Stewert old chap...

You can build bases quickly and cheaply, there are no Avengers, and you're lucky to spot the Battleship before it arrives - and shooting them down isn't always possible.

From what I've seen, you cannot intercept the battleship with an Avenger from the target base. It goes just too fast. But I've read that an avenger from a different base can intercept them. Never tried this myself, so I cannot say whether or not it'll stop the attacks. Would be great if it did, though, eh?

If anyone wants to test this, I'd probably start off by building an impenetrable base, then shoot down as many enemy ships as close to the base as possible. In the meanwhile, build up an interceptor base. Use a cheat utility to accelerate production. :power:

As for decoy bases: Yeah, why not? I mean, the aliens aren't picky about what they destroy as long as something gets destroyed. :eh:

- NKF

I build 4 fusion missle defenses and a grav shield. That way i never have to go on those annoying terror mission or shoot down anything. I just sit back and make laser rifles for the worlds nations. And i get my research done so i can go to mars before i loss all my countries..... If you loss all the countries you loss the game? It never happen to me so i was just wondering if that is what happened?

Retaliation battleships can be shot down using an Avenger at the target base! Your Hyperwave Decoder at the target base (or any other nearby base) must detect the battleship at a distance far enough out for your Avenger to do something. If the Hyperwave detects the battleship too close, your Avenger will be helpless to stop the attack.

----------

Ok, let me explain this a little. Your Avenger is perfectly capable of out-running any alien ship in the game in a side-by-side race. Avenger: 5400 knots, Battleship: 5000 knots. When you send your Avenger out to intercept a UFO that is heading to your base, the Avenger first must reach the UFO. Then it must turn around and pursue the UFO until it is within Standoff range. Only then may the Avenger attack - never in a head-on game of chicken! :power:

Because the intercept/pursuit process is taking place while the battleship is heading towards your base, precious time (and distance) is wasting away. If your detection system detects the battleship inside the boundary necessary for your Avenger to get into standoff (and ultimately attacking) range, it will assault your base without your Avenger even firing a shot. I am not sure what this range is, but it is definitely within 1000 nautical miles from your base.

----------

Avengers from other bases can attack this battleship also. First and foremost, it must be able to reach the UFO and get into standoff range. Next, your Avenger must be sent from a base that is within a 180 degree arc directly in front of where the battleship is heading. For example, if the battleship is heading directly north to its target base, your second base must lie within 90 degrees of either side and to the rear of the target base, and also ahead of the battleship. So between W and E on the compass rose. Too far south or off to either side and your Avenger is reduced to a 400 knot catch-up craft - which never works!

Also, shooting down the battleship and then successfully fighting the aliens on the ground does not stop the invasions - they just keep coming, and coming, and coming... Damn those aliens! :eh:

Just a question: why does the Hyperwave Decoder sometimes miss a UFO inside the detection radius? It should pick up all UFO's, within range, all the time!

To answer that last question: In many instances, the ships never physically existed (in the game) until they showed up well within your radar detection radius. You could also think of it as them entering the earth's orbit at that particular spot.

- NKF

So what you are saying is that the game randomly chooses a spot on the Earths surface where the UFO will start from. The UFO then flies to its destination and carries out its mission. If the spot the game picks where the alien ship will "materialize" happens to be inside the detection radius of your base, then you may not have enough time to counteract the threat depending on the mission.

Explaining how a UFO abruptly appears deep inside your sensor net makes sense to me when I think of the alien ship entering earths orbit. Let me submit one theory here though: We all know that the detection radius of a Hyperwave Decoder is 2400 nautical miles centered around the detector in a circle. What I would like to propose is that the detection radius of the Hyperwave is 2400 nautical miles centered around the detector in a HEMISPHERE. This may be obvious to those of you who think in 3 dimensions - but I sometimes fail to grasp certain spatial relations when looking at the earth from above.

An alien ship that is hovering directly above your base at an altitude of 2401 nautical miles would remain hidden because it is out of range. If the UFO dropped down to an altitude of say, 2399 or 2400 nautical miles, it would suddenly become visible because it is now within range of your sensors. Thanks NKF, it is clear to me now! :eh:

Hemispherical detection would explain why alien ships disappear without warning after their mission, even though they are sometimes still within range of your base sensors. They just simply gain altitude as they fly away until the ship vanishes off your radar screen! Another Archimedes EUREKA moment for Zombie! :power:

Whoa, nice theory! :power:

I had always thought UFOs took off from the alien bases, but I could never prove it. I only knew I should scan areas near the landing site in order to have a good chance to discover an enemy facility. However, Zombie's theory seems quite reasonable.

I don't know, whether the game calculates the altitude so precisely when it comes to detection ranges, or simply uses some ranges of altitude (as stated in info screen: low, high, very high), but you can think of it as Zombie stated.