S2 Skill Mod?

Duality

I just found this game and I love it, however, the skill progression thing is driving me nuts. You never get to use high level medical/engineering items and the guys who sit on their hands in the base all day are about 50% better then the team I've been using since the start of the game. What gives?

Is there a mod out there that fixes either/both of these things? I did an internet search, and a forum search but I couldn't find anything. I tried quickly looking around the editor but I couldn't figure out how I might edit something like skill progression. If there isn't a mod out there that does this, how might one go about using the editor to do it?

Welcome to the boards! :D

It's been too long since I studied the mods in our files section, but one of them is named "Easier Medical and Engineering Items" :) . Not all you asked for, but combined with some of the others there you might get close.

Thank you :)

I have the easier items mod, but even with it, the higher level engineer/medical items are still beyond use for the most part.

How difficult is it to change something like skill growth with the editor?

I have no idea. I never tried modding it. Once you've managed to set up the editor, I think it's fairly simple to change values of guns etc. Changing the skill growth etc. I wouldn't know. Ask one of the posters in this thread for instance (or I'm sure they'll tell you here if they stumble across the topic).

Well, off the top of my head, I can think of 4 (possibly more ways of handling this):

1. Changing medical and engineering item's properties/ requirements. If I remember correctly it is somewhere in RPG items's tables. This one is most likely the easiest)

2. Messing with S3Constants table (never tried, so don't know for sure)

3. Script (at the base location, for instance)

Maybe one of these functions could be of use:

int UnitGetSkill( unit, nSkill )

Returns the value of nSkil for the unit (nSkill is for one of the ST_* constants)

int UnitGetSkillMaxValue( unit, nSkill )

Returns the maximal value of nSkill

...for every constant (or only those you have trouble training)...as a thread, perhaps..., with a trigger..., maybe even tied to a specific action, like opening one's storage, or a door...

4. Work with units' Base Values.

str 1, dex 2, int 1 for snipers mean (my interpretation, of course) their dexterity will increase at a faster rater than the other 2 attributes. The same with starting skills.

(Try to play around with some of the values and test them in the game.)

I've never modded S^2 (worked only with Sentinels and H&S), so my knowledge there might be very limited,I am afraid :D.

Blunter

I dunno how to increase skill growth, but like Blunter said, you can increase hero's and party members' skill values with sripts. To do so via open console:

local unit = GroupGetUnit( GetParty(), # )

// next from hero is #1 and so on

UnitSetSkill( unit, nSkill, nSkillValue )

UnitSetSkillMaxValue( unit, nSkill, nSkillValue )

// If you want to edit your hero, then just

UnitSetSkill( GetHero(), nSkill, nSkillValue )

UnitSetSkillMaxValue( GetHero(), nSkill, nSkillValue )

nSkills are:

ST_MELEE

ST_SHOOTING

ST_THROWING

ST_BURST

ST_SNIPE

ST_STEALTH

ST_SPOT

ST_MEDICINE

ST_ENGINEERING

ST_VP

ST_AP

ST_IC

ST_INTERRUPT

ST_LEVEL

ST_STR

ST_DEX

ST_INT

example:

local unit = GroupGetUnit( GetParty(), 2 )

UnitSetSkill( unit, ST_MEDICINE, 50 )

UnitSetSkillMaxValue( unit, ST_MEDICINE, 50 )

// third party member's medicine skill increased to value 50

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have one (probably rather stupid but...) question about Watchdog Skill Hack ver 0.2. Does it matter when I paste contents of "watchdogV0.2.l" file, before or after the string

out( "Common functions were loaded" )
?

If someone could give me a quick reply I would be grateful. :oh:

Best regards,

Ros.