Black Mesa

Has anyone seen this site? the level design is simply stunning, it's all I thought Half-Life: Source was going to be and wasn't (which is, in fact, the reason this project was started).

Introduction

Black Mesa (formerly Black Mesa: Source) is a Half-Life 2 total conversion remaking VALVe Software's award-winning PC game, Half-Life. Utilizing the Source engine, Black Mesa will reintroduce the player as Doctor Gordon Freeman, along with the original cast of memorable characters and environments seen in Half-Life. Black Mesa was built and founded on the basis that Half-Life: Source was inadequate as the Source engine port of Half-Life, regardless of the intentions of VALVe Software. As such, Black Mesa was founded to fully reconstruct the Half-Life universe utilizing Source to its fullest potential in terms of art detail, level sizes and code features. This total conversion will not require Half-Life: Source to play - only legitimate copies of Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source on Steam.

The Environment

Black Mesa is set in and around the Black Mesa Research Facility as depicted in the original Half-Life game. The research facility is a former Cold War missile complex based in New Mexico, and features a diverse array of locations ranging from abandoned rocket testing silos to modern administrative offices, from underground physics laboratories to a full-scale hydroelectric dam. The game continues beyond, into an inter-dimensional border world known as Xen. What will set Black Mesa apart from other Source engine modifications in development is the attention to environment detail. Levels will be faithful to the original Half-Life concept and built from scratch, yet will feature higher-resolution textures, detailed world models, and a higher quality of audio ambience courtesy of the Source engines soundscape system. The end goal of such attention to detail is an immersive single-player environment, which will engross the player in a story that is yet to be matched by any other first-person shooter.

Features

Black Mesa has many features, several of which are still in planning or being tested. Below are a few of the larger and more distinctive features of Black Mesa:

* Detailed and interactive environments based on the original Half-Life game, including reconstructed multiplayer maps;

* Single-player, co-operative and deathmatch modes planned;

* Original music score by Joel Nielsen;

* Artificial intelligence that will dynamically think, react and interact with and about their environment;

* Normal, specular and parallax mapping utilized on world surfaces and models where applicable;

* A priority on gameplay and immersion factors such as ambience, logical functionality and interactivity.

Game Modes

Black Mesa will feature three game modes designed to provide a high replayability factor.

Single-player

* Assuming the role of Dr. Gordon Freeman you will experience an immersive, story-driven mode of play. A world where around every corner a new threat or situation presents itself, provoking thought and interaction between you and your world. Relying on more than just combat to survive, your wits and intelligence will become strong allies in your fight for survival. Environments will be interactive, rich with detail, fully ambient and NPC characters will react to these environments and your actions therein. A world driven by story, locations conquered by wit, enemies matched with firepower. Welcome to Black Mesa. Run, think, shoot, live, Source.

Co-operative

* Black Mesa co-op will allow players to not only recruit the assistance of security guards and scientists, but also that of your friends! Share the single-player experience by battling through Black Mesa together. Players will be able to wage battles, travel corridors and emerge victorious over the enemies and escape the confines of the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Deathmatch

* The adrenaline pumping, bullet dodging, rockets-flying, big-red-button riddled deathmatch is back in classic Half-Life style, featuring graphically enhanced multiplayer maps and the full lineup of weapons. You'll find yourself having more fun blowing away your friends than, well, anything.

The bigger question is: When is it going to come out?! I have been so very eagerly waiting ever since I first saw the first screenshots.

Looking at what the Half-Life 2 engine is capable of only brought one thing to mind: Half-Life 1 was so... devoid of details...

Saw this in one of the PC Gamer magazines, or maybe a PC Zone magazine. Don't think it's due out for quite a while from what I read and there was still a question over whether Valve would allow them to release it. Don't know if anything has changed since I read about it, but it's definatly starting to look good.

I don't see why Valve would not allow them to, it is a mod after all, and you do need Half Life 2 and Half Life Source (not sure about this last one but could be) so it should be all good, in fact it would be benefitial for Valve as people would play Half Life source again just to play this mod (or at least purchase Half Life 2 in order to play it).

It says that Valve actually asked them to change the name from "Black Mesa: Source" to "Black Mesa" to avoid confusions with their "*: Source" games, which they did, so I assume they are in decent terms.

They're auctioning a really awesome computer right now they won at a mod competition, so I assume they are not precisely inactive :D

I can't wait, Half Life 1 is one of my favourite games EVER, love it above Half Life 2 and basically any other FPS that has come out ever since (Except Deus Ex...)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...