Playing any games?

Finally really got into Dragon Age Origins. I just couldn't help myself, I didn't like the combat completely, was hard to think this was the company that made Baldur's Gate II, but the storytelling, characters and maps were so damn good that I forced myself to play differently and finally learn not to play it like BGII.

It's an incredible story (even if it's a little worn off, been used to death), or more accurately it's great storytelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Dragon Age, the final battles are epic, and I'm pretty satisfied with the storyline.

Started playing Dragon Age 2, I'm already disappointed that they removed the ability to go into an isometric-like POV, as that helped a lot when organizing the battle, now you're stuck with an over-the-shoulder POV which is not of much help. The animations are great, but can be distracting, especially since you cannot get a quick overview of the battle now. So far the game seems much more WoW-like, which is a shame; encounters are more predictable than in the first game ("Oh, large chamber ahead, I wonder if monsters are going to pop into existance from absolutely all sides"). Characters are so far nothing to write home about, one just joined me for no apparent reason or plausible explanation. Also, you are not allowed to change the weapons or armor of your companions, wtf is that? I guess they've implemented some sort of equipement auto-level-up, when your companions level up, so does their gear, that's pretty nonsensical.

I am surprised though, that in an American game, if you remove the armor of your female character, it shows her wearing pretty sexy underwear :o and her breasts even bounce when moving, that was hillarious :P

Persona 4 is currently grabbing my lapels. Haven't played any JRPGs in ages, so this one has really infected me. The writing is really good, which makes a nice change, the characters are interesting, the protagonist is blessedly silent, and the story (weird murders in a small town, a strange dream world accessible by climbing into your TV) is unusual and involving. The only jarring point is the American voice acting, as the setting is Japanese.

It's a great mix of dungeon crawling, and social sim. The characters you recruit for your party are people from school, your hobbies, job, etc. Far too involving!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm playing the most enjoyable game I have played in about five years: Deus Ex! :P the thing is about 8 year old now, the graphics engine is showing its age, but the game plays like the gem it is, I can honestly say I haven't played a game this good ever since I played it last time.

I've said the same thing, each of the three times I've gone back to that gem over the years. I probably played it through 10 times total. The first Mass Effect game is the only comparable title for me. They are my all time favorites. I had such high hopes that ME2 would head a little more in DX direction with character development, but instead when the other way, just like DX2 deviated from DX. DX2 pales in comparison to DX BTW. If you like the world, it's alright to play through to get the story and such. But I never went back for seconds.

Ultima's 1 - 3 are certainly acquired tastes. Not particularly fond of the food as time-limit aspect of the earlier ones - or more to the point the fact food is eaten every time you take a step. I honestly cannot remember what 4 was like, so can't comment.

5 and 6 on the other hand are probably the easier ones to jump into. 5 was from an era where low-res 16 colour graphics and the PC speaker were high-tech as far as multimedia was concerned, but I do recall putting a lot more time into it than the preceding titles.

- NKF

Couldn't get into V, the interface is just too old school for me to enjoy, I'm sure I'd have loved it during my DOS era time.

Have you tried Ultima V: Lazarus? It's a mod for Dungeon Siege (a siegelet), remaking the whole Ultima V in 3d, reviews claim it is fantastic, I'll give it a shot as soon as possible.

Ooh - for the first Dungeon siege I take it? Must've wasted ages of my life away on it playing the unique multiplayer map solo. Never did manage to totally max any of the four professions - gets rather hard when the higher level spells aren't as much fun or as effective as the earlier ones.

On a different note, anyone had a chance to try out the games in the Disgaea series, and related series (like Phantom Brave and Phantom Kingdom/Makai Kingdom)? Fun series of turn based tactical jRPGs that, when you get away from the story mode and get into the real thick of things (the random dungeons), is centred building teams of characters and level grinding them (and the equipment they use) like mad. What I also find fun is how exploits are built into the system and you are encouraged to figure them out and use them to pass some challenges. There's a bit of humour and an upbeat feeling to these games too, which has stopped me from playing Final Fantasy Tactics (which is a close comparison) beyond the first few maps. I find it a bit depressing thanks to those bored looking cut and paste faces :P.

- NKF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Steam sucks. It is not useful at all. I could rant for ages. However, I won't.

I'm working my way through Mass Effect 2. I don't have, yet, all the DLC, but I should have it soon. I imported my character, a level 60 soldier, in, so it does play a little better. I wish they could have stayed with the weapons and armor of the last one, but more options kinda like in KOTOR II TSL. That's just me, though.

I'm playing UFO:AS and Deus Ex, as well.

Completed the Valkyria Chronicles campaign (I'm definitely going through the game+ so I can everything and try to figure out how to A rank all the story missions). Now moved on to Trinity Universe (a little happy sappy, but much more entertaining than Cross Edge) and just a few nights ago Ratchet and Clank: One for All.

R&C still has all the elements that made the series amazing, but this title seems to have sacrificed a few things to cover its main gimmick: co-op mode (on the same console and on-line). Nice to have Quark as a character though, but having him shrink down and get carried on Clank's back is ridiculous. Loses points for having achievable/trophies that can only be obtained on-line only. Also weapons don't level up as you use them anymore - it seems to be straight upgrades and that's it. Not a bad thing mind, as you get to replay the entire game 4 times for each character, and each one gathers equipment and upgrades independently of the others.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
Completed the Valkyria Chronicles campaign (I'm definitely going through the game+ so I can everything and try to figure out how to A rank all the story missions).

I was such a sucker I bought hard mode. Worst use of DLC ever. Great game though.

Batman Arkham City - not as good as the reviews would have you believe. Arkham City is a nice enough environment, but it's very static, everything's lying around waiting for you, which is kind of strange when there are meant to be warring factions fighting. It's a slight upgrade of AA, basically, so yes, it is still a fantastic game, there's more of everything, it's more polished, etc etc etc. It doesn't take any risks, and arguably the plot is even worse. Ignoring what Rocksteady have done with the characters (Penguin as a Cockney?) the plot is cack and the best villains get sidelined in favour of idiots behind labyrinthine schemes.

There is a boss fight that is 100% unnecessary, which really irked me.

Other than that, stealth and combat are very satisfying, the challenges are superb, and there's plenty of sidequests and hundreds of Riddler puzzles.

I'm also playing Fallout 3. I may decide to go back to UFO Aftershock, with the ACM mod, etc. and play that for awhile. That and work through GTA:SA still. I have a few games I've started, and not quite finished, yet. It's all a matter of time right now.

As to steam, it's an ok thing to backup your native PC's saves, game info, etc. However, that's what it should be used for, a backup of things, not the main go to for saves, etc. What if I wanted to play a game on say my laptop? I can't, because it's another computer, etc.

• 1 month later...

Completed the Valkyria Chronicles campaign (I'm definitely going through the game+ so I can everything and try to figure out how to A rank all the story missions).

I was such a sucker I bought hard mode. Worst use of DLC ever. Great game though.

On that note - anyone tried #2 and #3 of that series? Any good?

#2 is PSP-only

#3 is PSP and Japan-only

I have to wait with skyrim because shitty Cenega made some screwy shit and polish 1.3.7 patch was reverted to 1.2.12.... alongside with 1C, Cenega is the most shitiest publisher ever.

I dunno, I find 1C games are far more playable out of the box than most other publishers.

On that note - anyone tried #2 and #3 of that series? Any good?

#2 is PSP-only

#3 is PSP and Japan-only

VCII is pretty good, although a little more bite size than VC in approach (perhaps understandably, given it's on PSP, but the particular way they've done it does it no favours). All the good points of the first game are present, although I found the characters less engaging because we're back to teenagers again, the unit roles are just different enough to be interesting, plenty to do, etc. I didn't enjoy it as much as VC but it is a good game. The optional install is a good idea to cut down on loading times, it's 400-500MB IIRC. Could be a pain if you only have a small memory stick.

• 3 months later...