Playing any games?

• 1 month later...
Got my new card finally so a lot of gaming is in order. Currently playing Half Life 2: Episode 1 after having it for months, got Sins of a Solar Empire, playing Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (for real this time), trying to complete the NOD campaign in C&C 3 and playing Fallout 1 every now and then :D

Just beat Half Life 2 Episode 1, I got to say it's a worthy successor to Half Life 2 (even if it's just a very short episodic sequel). The graphics are simply amazing, as I've come to expect from Half Life 2, the facial gestures just got better, if that was possible. The NPC following me (Alyx) would actually squint when I put the flashlight too close to her eyes while in complete darkness and cover her eyes, and would curse and yell at me when the light went out in the middle of a firefight in darkness ("Gordon!, keep your flashlight on that zombie!!"), simply great. The NPC AI didn't got any worse, still as great as ever.

Only downside is that it's very short, but thoroughly enjoyable if FPSs are your thing.

To be fair, if you knew what to do and what to expect, it would have taken about a half hour, tops. Of course, first time playing through it does make you want to go slow, with your gun leading the way. And that darned flashlight just doesn't last long enough. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing Half Life 2 Episode 2, so far I'm more than anything impressed with the AI of the enemies, maybe it's always been the same, but I get the feeling that it's been improved, some of the more intelligent enemies hide and look for cover, go around me, shoot me from a distance and get away when I get too close, etc. The graphic quality has been improved, though not that much, but for me it's already optimal (whatever Crysis is like, too me it's an exaggeration...).

Bad thing is when you start predicting when will enemies spawn and throw themselves at you, it gets boring, but a great storyline, inspired levels, and some surprises here and there just keeps me glued to my seat!

I was slightly disappointed to read that Half Life 3 won't come out, that these Episodes are Half Life 3 :(

I was "happy" to see the GMan again, felt like home :D

Personally, I wasn't too amused by Half-Life's AI system. (I prefer Halo's AI. Where the enemy made an active attempt to use cover, maneuver behind you, and switch weapons while judging the optimal time to use a grenade.)

There are plenty of times in Half-Life 2, and it's Episodes, where all you need to do is move around a corner and fixate your crosshairs where an Overwatch's head will be. Then fire as each of dozens of enemies come chasing after you. Tons of one-shot kills... And none have the sense to say "Hm... Maybe I should try uh... Something else."

I found the storyline to be really good in both Episodes 1 and 2 at least. (Which is the only reason I play Half-Life, personally.) Got a few more twists for them to answer in episode 3, and hopefully whatever episodes are left.

Indeed, I'm getting bored of the same zombies all over again and again, I found the enemies and levels in the original Half Life to be far more interesting (Black Mesa was a FAR FAR more interesting setting, IMHO) than in these games, but as you said, the storyline keeps me coming back :D

Playing Call of Duty 4, fantastic war FPS, with the possible exception of the campaign backstory, I was literally praying it was not about the US saving the world (yet again, figure that) from the Evil arab terrorists, I'd have preferred either a fictitious conflict or another WWII shooter (though I'm kinda fed up of those too, but still enjoyable), also, the quality of the quotes between deaths has been drastically reduced, now they are quoting freaking Colin Powell! makes me wanna use the game disc as a cup holder.

That aside, really nice graphics, the storyline seems well developed, very nice gameplay, in short: fun ^_^

• 2 weeks later...