Playing any games?

Just started up Disgaea 4 for some overkill level grinding fun. Really like the continued improvements they're making with the mechanics, especially with the monster classes improvements. I'm also finding the main story much more entertaining than Disgaea 3's.

My main regret is that this is most probably going to be released on the PSVita with more content/chapters.

Another game I've been enjoying lately is New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii with my brother. It's like the good aspects from many classic Mario games (and the NES Batman wall jump) bundled into one nice package, and with the ability to have simultaneous characters playing and cooperating at the same time, it's quite entertaining.

Tried Metroid Prime. This series just doesn't work very well as a FPS. Might have to give it another go later on.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

Journey.

A rather beautiful experience, where the graphics, sound, and game design have been honed and they combine perfectly to create a short, gorgeous game that doesn't outstay its welcome. The interplay between the audio and action is very tight and emotive. Extremely well engineered.

• 1 month later...

Spec Ops: The Line (demo). It's funny how in games, disobeying orders is cool and amazing. The shooting is fun, stable and precise and lethal, and the movement is decent. They've created an interesting environment, it's not just another urban combat setting, but the cover combat is the same old clunky shite. The usual spawning enemies nonsense, although their vulnerability is good, and linking headshots with the slow motion rewards is great.

Little scope for any thought, just get into cover, shoot enemies, move on. There's no actual need to use your brain at any point, no real scope for tactics (commanding your team takes ages as well, next to useless), so I'll buy it when it's £10.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and I am absolutely loving it. Tactical, full of warry kit, extremely easy to die.

First mission was extremely simple, and I immediately just submerged myself in it, fiddling with everything. The inventory system in't brilliant, sadly, but there's a lot to play around with (weapon fire selectors, thank you God) and I got some good rifle practice in immediately, with 5.56mm and some 40mm grenades. Plopping rounds short/long and then getting them bang on target is so satisfying I'm sort of ignoring commanding my squad, really, just getting them on line and letting them fire at will. Weapon swaps and grenade usage is far too slow, legacy of the luxury of having a keyboard? But moving from cover to cover, and nailing enemies who don't die easily, is so beautiful.

Second mission, night insertion complete with marksman's rifle. This game seems to have been made with me firmly in mind. Sneaked onto the first objective, wiped it out in a crossfire, and as we moved onto the second, enemies started chasing us. Turned around and gave them a mag at top speed, pinning those I didn't hit while my mates had it through the long grass. Thermal scope, so the enemies show up as a lovely white versus the black terrain and cover. Carried on, headed up a rise and got engaged from about 400m away, enemies cresting the rise. Whatever else I did wrong, I got the ranging right, and killed seven of eight, three of them dropped with single shots. The scope isn't that good either, but I obviously did something right when I guessed the range. Very pleased with that clean up.

I finally found time to play Portal 2. Took me 8 hours to finish it, and the game is a sweet treat. Story focused gameplay makes it inferior to Portal 1 for me, but it is still one of the best games.

A day ago I installed Rage because I wanted an FPS fix, and who other to turn to but ID.

I was pleasingly surprised. The game looks and runs phenomenally well! Shootouts are some of the well done I've ever seen: sound of weapons, enemies reacting to gunshots etc. Too bad the health regen totally feels out of place. Oh, and FOV + mouse accel made the game completely unplayable until I changed some .cfg files. Driving is also well done, although all this downtime between excellent shooting and boring story attempts is driving me insane. One moment I would give the game an avarage rating, but when fun part starts I would declare it best FPS ever.

Verdict: Best FPS of 2011 (but I haven't played Serious Sam 3 yet).

Half Life 1 & 2, ID titles before Doom 3, Duke Nukem 3D, Serious Sam and NOLF are still the best in the genre for me.

Oh, and I just got challenged to a Frozen Synapse game from our favourite SV grin.gif

Loving the Age of Decadence updated demo.

Amen, brother! Testify!

For brutal difficulty, try ARMA II. Interface a bit crap, sadly.

I'd love to but my PC can't handle it. Dying to play it though!

A day ago I installed Rage because I wanted an FPS fix, and who other to turn to but ID.

Verdict: Best FPS of 2011 (but I haven't played Serious Sam 3 yet).

Half Life 1 & 2, ID titles before Doom 3, Duke Nukem 3D, Serious Sam and NOLF are still the best in the genre for me.

I only played the demo but I thought Rage was shit. Definite case of graphics over gameplay for me.

He never challenges me though... wonder why...

Because you cry when he beats you? :D

Oh it is coming. I thought you were sick of me lately, so you were given some time off. I'll be back!

Not true - it's just simply the game is not fair for me all the time.

Because you cry when he beats you? :D

Also not true - this is my way of dealing with frustration + I only play for fun and don't do my best all the time.

Amen, brother! Testify!

There was this wonderful demo playthrough with a novice merchant... didn't do violence to anyone personally all game, but the boatmen of styx (assassin's guild) and the imperial guards wiped each other out due to yours trulys intrigues. Then an old decision came back to haunt me, as a third faction who shall remain nameless betrayed my trust in ... extremely effective fashion.

In the end, my options came down to dying with dignity by the hand of my own guild, or going down fighting against the inevitable. Not a violent man, I died with dignity, a gladius to the back. Very few games could make me choose that option with a smile... :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I'd sign up to GOG a month or two back and grabbed a few oldies. So far been playing Raptor Call of the Shadows (2010 edition) and Master of Magic.

The updated Raptor runs nice, although I do miss the Apogee jingle, and I don't know if they left the easter eggs in. I'd forgotten how much fun the first chapter is on Impossible, as you get to put most of the more fun weapons to use. Later chapters are just a drag that absolutely require the twin beam cannon and layers on layers of shields, (or played on one difficulty setting lower).

MOM - my first real play of this classic Civilization-styled fantasy game. Truly one of the games from an age where the gameplay trumped the graphics. To be honest though, I'm not that good and the AI wizards bowl me over just as I'm starting out most of the time. Boy do I hate those High Men Paladins (when I'm on the receiving end, that is).

GOG's library doesn't feel particularly extensive, but still enough to make me feel rather spoiled for choice. Some old favourites are tempting me, like the Blake Stone series, Crusader, Magic Carpet, etc. I wish I could find Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage though.

- NKF

• 5 weeks later...
Since redoing my hard drive, again, I decided to only put a few games on it at one time. Right now I'm playing Batman Arkham City, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Wizardry 8, Star Wars the Old Republic, GTA:SA, Hellgate London, Jagged Alliance 2, Star Trek Online, Dungeon Siege 2, Star Wars KOTOR II: TSL, UFO aftermath, Assassin's Creed II, and Masters of Orion III