#21 Schuesseled

Schuesseled

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

View PostStrong Bob, on 6th November 2007, 1:32pm, said:

Currently playing Neverwinter Nights 2 Expansion and Halo 3. The former is a decent upgrade from the original, and Halo 3's ending left my heart warm for the first time in about a year.

Tried playing Bioshock... But... Ah, I think I already posted my thoughts about that game somewhere on this forum.

Doesnt that addiction to souls in nwn2:mob jsut annoy the hell out of you, if i wanted to be an addict i'd take crack. Id rather play through an interesting story line, trying out epic level characters, and not worrying out overdosing on sipirits and going cold turkey in the middle of the fight. Bit of a let down.

#22 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

Currently playing Mass Effect on 360. Probably the best game I've played all year!

Due out on PC sometime next year I believe and I'll probably get that version too.  :oh: Yes I'm crazy like that.

I bought NWN2 a while back but I could never get into it. Not played it for a few months, might have to have another go once I get more time. Pretty busy at the moment.
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#23 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

View PostSchuesseled, on 26th November 2007, 5:19pm, said:

Doesnt that addiction to souls in nwn2:mob jsut annoy the hell out of you, if i wanted to be an addict i'd take crack. Id rather play through an interesting story line, trying out epic level characters, and not worrying out overdosing on sipirits and going cold turkey in the middle of the fight. Bit of a let down.
Nope, I thought it was a pretty cool twist compared to the norm of most modern games. If you didn't like it, using the "suppress" ability would allow you to ignore it for a long period of time.

Have fun with crack. I prefer the souls from a fantasy game.

Currently playing Mass Effect on 360. Probably the best game I've played all year!

Having recently just sampled Mass Effect, I agree. Best new game of the year. Although I am finding myself wish it was more interactive... I still consider Bioware's past creations superior.
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#24 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:28 AM

Thought I'd take a break from the PS2 and replay something on the PC for a change. Couldn't get Battlezone 2 to run on my laptop (oh the Mortar Hoverbike...), so I thought I'd give Homeworld a spin again.

Epic space battles that often look like a bunch of fighting ants, small teams of salvage ships swooping in from above/below and capturing super capital ship class ships (enemy carriers are great prizes), huge maps that take ages to traverse and a mothership that is for all intents and purposes nothing more than a flying banana (assuming you didn't select the ship set from the considerably cooler enemy ships). Much fun, although requires a lot of patience, since a lot of time is spent travelling.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#25 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

I tried to play BZII a year or so ago, and found it crashed whenever I tried to fire certain weapons... Went online and lo and behold! After many years the devs had released an unofficial patch (within about a month of my checking). Fixed me right up.  :oh:

Also makes the AI decent, has added OS support, fixes the infinite hover bug and does a number of other things. Seems another one has been released since then, I'll have to give it a go some time.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#26 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:42 AM

That's a fairly hefty file, at least for dial up. But if it means being able to play the game again...

Infinite hover bug? That's not the one where you launch the mortarbike into the air, dip the nose down (or look right up) and apply reverse thrust and you end up flying straight up? Haven't been able to do this with any other of the ships although the Thunderbolt's were only able to provide enough thrust to slow their descent or hover in mid air.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#27 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:39 AM

Truth be told, I was never quite sure how to do it: I was only a victim of it during online games. Those who knew how could pull it off at will and it essentially meant they could rain down hell below without danger to themselves (you can't aim very high up, for whatever reason).
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#28 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

The Combat Mission trilogy.  Basically turn-based realistic WWII strategy, but you order your units, then watch your force and the enemy carry out their instructions in real time, with the bonus of being able to rewind and fast forward through the real time bits, allowing you to watch all of the action.  Graphics aren't anything special, and it's a bit laborious setting up each battle if you like to fiddle as much as I do, but they're cracking games.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#29 DoomMunky

DoomMunky

Lieutenant

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

I was playing a hell of a lot of STALKER for a while. The atmosphere in that game is astonishingly good and the firefights are gripping and scary. Great game.

#30 flark

flark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:50 AM

I've just mentioned it in another thread but I'm currently playing Jagged Alliance 2 (on ironman mode of course :oh: ) and I'm absolutely loving it. I could kick myself for not having found this great game sooner. Anyway I've set myself the target of completing it before JA3 is released and so far I am well on schedule.

#31 DoomMunky

DoomMunky

Lieutenant

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:16 AM

Is JA2 available as abandonware yet? If not, where can I get it? I've heard so much about it, but have yet to enjoy it.

#32 flark

flark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

Oh man! Just like me you don't know what you've been missing!

Once you get your head around the 2D retro graphics you will find an amazing game filled with so much attention to detail and character.

At first impression I didn't think much of it, but the more you get into it the more you will fall in love with the game.

Unfortunately it's not abandonware yet, but due to it's age you can pick up the Gold Edition which includes 'Unfinished Business' (a bit like what Sentinels is to Silent Storm) for an absolute bargain price.

You can buy it at places like Amazon for around $15, or if you can't wait and don't mind not having the box you can download it from Strategy First for $14.99

It's worth every penny I assure you.

#33 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

I agree, it's quite a fun game and caters to a lot of different play styles. Seriously - you can beat the final mission with your bare fists if you wanted.

About the only thing I didn't like about it was the militia aspect. The poor sods you spend a lot of time and effort to train up and defend some of the hapless towns generally don't stand a chance even if they're all cyan-vests with a few blue-vests sprinkled amongst them.

If you're out and about, I recommend visiting your local games outlets. I frequently see JA2 in the bargain bins these days.

- NKF

#34 flark

flark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

What difficulty level did you play on? Maybe that was the problem. The game is notoriously difficult.

I control 5 towns/cities now so am only just getting to the stage I think where they are starting to send tougher forces against my Militia. So far they have held themselves extremely well and have fended off all of Deidranna forces that have come at them without too much trouble.

I'm playing on 'Novice' but with the 'Ironman' mode activated so no saves during combat missions. That's probably why my Milita are fairing so well, probably better than my mercenaries in fact. :oh:

#35 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

JA2 is superb, DM.  Quite obviously a massive influence on S2.

#36 DoomMunky

DoomMunky

Lieutenant

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

Sweet! I've heard a bunch of amazing things about it, and I LOVE Digital Distribution, so a download might just be in my near future.

Hmm, it seems that Unfinished Buisness is seperate but standalone. Should I go for the original game or the expansion? (Sentinels is a much more fully featured game than S2, but S2 has more pure "fun" to it for me)

#37 flark

flark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

I'd go for the standalone game if you have to choose between them, but I don't understand, if you download the Gold Pack I thought you were supposed to get them both.

I bought the Gold pack and received 'JA2' and 'JA2 Unfinished Business' on two spereate CDs as seperate games. I haven't played Unfinished Business but I understand it's a kind of standalone expansion with the parts of the orginial game that they didn't have time to include, hence the name Unfinished Business.

Are you sure you don't get them both?

#38 Lord Argonaut

Lord Argonaut

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

Playing Dark Corners of the Earth. A lovecraftian FPS which isn't only focused on action. Refreshing. Very good game.

#39 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Playing Dark Corners of the Earth. A lovecraftian FPS which isn't only focused on action. Refreshing. Very good game.

Isn't that on Manifesto games?

#40 Lord Argonaut

Lord Argonaut

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

No idea what Manifesto games is, I was speaking of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users