Rate UFO: Afterlight

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate UFO: Afterlight? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate UFO: Afterlight?

1. 10 - Stand aside, X-Com, here's your daddy! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 9 - As good as the King, an equal to X-Com (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. 8 - Almost as good (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. 7 - Falling short on some areas (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

5. 6 - Entertaining (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 5 - Decent, but I've seen a lot better (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 4 - Not that good (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

8. 3 - Boring (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 2 - You call THIS a game? (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 1 - Already uninstalled it and set the box on fire, now the healing can begin... (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Azrael Strife

new
Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:35 AM

It's about time we started rating UFO: Afterlight, we've all had the time to play it (or not  :blush: ), but whatever the case, please share your opinions and cast your vote if you've had the opportunity to test this game thoroughly!
Posted Image

#2 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

I went for 8 - almost as good. I would definitely go for 9 or 10 if there were more soldiers, meaning cannon fodder, also meaning less RPG. I don't know why but this REALLY bugs me. Otherwise I'd say X-COM met its match that surpases da King in more than one area.

#3 Azrael Strife

new
Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

For now, to me it's an 8, but I'm waiting to finish it before casting actual vote.

Personally I'd like disposable soldiers as well, but there is a certain charm to getting to know each one of your soldiers too which I kinda enjoy, the RPG elements are certainly well done, but I get the feeling that for such elements, a system like that of UFO: ET would have been better (soldiers don't die unless all of them die), because let's face it, with VERY little soldiers at times you won't have other option but to reload if a bunch of them get killed.

The missions are still slightly repetitive, but nowhere as much as Aftershock, the terrains still could have used much more variety, dunno what's so hard about making a bloody map...

The artwork, I'm personally in love with it, it's not eerie or spooky as X-Com or as UFO: Aftermath, but that's ok to me, the game itself isn't about being eerie anyway, the unknown alien invasion is not on this game, nothing really scary about this one. UFO: AM on the other hand, had this and took good advantage of it.

Oh, and I LOVE that the two part missions are over, I HATED those, completely sucked, and the resource system of UFO: AS didn't really appeal to me and made little sense, on this game it's much much better thought.
Posted Image

#4 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

I guess we shouldn't have a completely separate polling forum. Nobody comes here...

#5 Nicol.Bolas

new
Nicol.Bolas

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

I give it a 9.

It got me hooked the same way as TFTD (my 1st ufo game), but I am afraid the replayability is a bit lower, and the game turned itīs back on ironmen players

(too few characters - soldiers, which kinda forces the basic, advanced, expert and maybe even master player to reload grandmasters may actually play through on ironmen even on first go.)

I consider this design decision very poor. I think it was possible to keep RPG, but also allow for real war with losses, not everyone is a reload-freak.

so not a 10.

#6 Thunder_Gr

new
Thunder_Gr

Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

A 4 from me. I didn't like it. Boring, same missions over and over. An unrealistic resource gathering system.
An irritating diplomacy system. A useless trade system. Weapons are not handled well. In order to build a Katana you have to be a manufacturing and resource gathering Giant(!). It is much easier to manufacture a lazer sniper's rifle, instead, or a lot of other advanced equipment.

I think it is a much worse game than Aftershock, while it was supposed to be a better one, considering it came after it.
That what I know, is that I know nothing. - Sokrates

I would like to state that my message does not violate any copyright laws.
However, every single word I have used is also used in all books that have ever
been published in english...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users