Getting Round The Research Bug

Maganda

It's not a "bug", it's a "feature". :blush:

No, really - TFTD has a twisted up research tree in order to slow your progress. Catch is it's twisted up to the point where if you get things wrong, you can't complete the game.

Anyhoo, according to the Wiki you need to research stuff in this order:

Deep One Corpse → Aqua Plastics → Plastic Aqua Armour → Ion Beam Accelerators

If memory serves however, I was never able to manufactore the things. So don't sell them until you're sure you don't need them.

The Ion Beam Accelerators aren't usually the cause of the bugs, but if you have some and they're not showing up for research then something's up. Check your ufopaedia. I'm wondering if you've researched it and forgotten about it. If you have, then that's fine. The sticky point is the live Deep One. You have to have the IBA and plastic aqua armor done before interrogating it. How you go about getting the IBA and aqua armor is up to you.

If that's not the case, then I'd try capturing a Lobsterman Navigator and seeing what that gives you. That's really for the Magnetic Navigation, still... You could also try researching other items like Zrbite or the disrupter pulse launchers if you've picked up a few and see what it results in. Just don't research the live deep-one until you've got the IBA's and plastic aqua armor. At this time, anything's worth a try.

- NKF

• 6 years later...

Most likely.

For the worst case scenarios, Blade has written a program to deal with tech tree bugs. It's there if you ever need it.

I just tried the program link, and instead of going to a page with something about Terror from the Deep research bug handling, it was a program for UFO: Aftershock. It seems some things have changed. :)

• 2 years later...

Really, the Deep One thing isn't even a bug. It works as designed; after researching Plastic Aqua Armour and Ion-Beam Accelerators, you must interrogate a Deep One Terrorist to discover Ion Armour. No different from having to research Alien Origins first and THEN interrogate a leader to get The Martian Solution in UFO. If you already interrogated one, it doesn't count, but you just have to interrogate another one.

The real bugs are:

- You want an Alien Sub Construction component before you finish the prerequisites for "Alien Sub Construction" research i.e. Zrbite and Transmission Resolver. If you don't have one the research is locked out and you're doomed because you'll never be able to build advanced craft.

- You want an M.C. Reader item before you finish the prerequisite for "M.C. Reader" research i.e. M.C. Lab. If you don't have one the research is locked out, although this is survivable (you'll still be able to M.C. screen since you've already researched the M.C. Lab; you just won't be able to use M.C. Readers, M.C. Disrupters, or build M.C. Generators).

- You want the Disrupter Pulse Launcher and Disruptor Ammo items before you finish the prerequisite i.e. Zrbite. You may be able to unlock them later, though, and if you don't manage it just means you can't use DPLs or DPL-derived craft weapons/Displacer guns/defences.

The way to avoid research tree bugs is:

- Don't research Zrbite until you've recovered a DPL, a DPL bomb and an Alien Sub Construction.

- Don't research M.C. Lab until you've recovered an M.C. Reader, if you care about getting mind control.

That's it. And not researching Zrbite until that point isn't really a big deal since the only thing researching Zrbite does is unlock those topics.

Really, the Deep One thing isn't even a bug. It works as designed; after researching Plastic Aqua Armour and Ion-Beam Accelerators, you must interrogate a Deep One Terrorist to discover Ion Armour. No different from having to research Alien Origins first and THEN interrogate a leader to get The Martian Solution in UFO. If you already interrogated one, it doesn't count, but you just have to interrogate another one.

That's just it. You can re-interrogate another leader (of any species), but TFTD doesn't always let you re-interrogate a Deep One Terrorist even if you have a dozen live specimens held in containment. It's not really the logic at fault, but whether or not the game decides if it will let you have another shot at the Deep One.

- NKF

That's just it. You can re-interrogate another leader (of any species), but TFTD doesn't always let you re-interrogate a Deep One Terrorist even if you have a dozen live specimens held in containment. It's not really the logic at fault, but whether or not the game decides if it will let you have another shot at the Deep One.

- NKF

TFTD doesn't always let you capture a Deep One even if you properly paralyzed it and your squad has a base with empty Alien Containment!