newb - strategy on diplomacy (spoilers)

EMahn

I'm starting to get the hang of the game but I have been mostly ignoring the diplomacy aspect up until now. I've traded a couple things with the Reticulans, but the Expedition faction has just landed and invaded my territory.

For a newb, any advice on how I should approach this? Do I attack the Expedition? Or give up my alliance with the Reticulans? Or some general advice on how to approach the diplomatic part of the game.

Also, I guess I don't get what the final objective of the game is. Do I have to take over the whole planet?

Thanks for any help.

I haven't played enough to see a difference in game, but the Reticulans have screwed you too much in the past for my taste, I broke the alliance as soon as the Expedition joined entered the fray, they are, after all, the 'good guys', so I expect more help from them than the rebels.

I'll start squashing the Rets like bugs as soon as I manage to get the Beastmen under control, they're starting to bring the cavalry to their attack missions (multiple Chiefs guarded by Captains and surrounded by Alchemists all around!) and having two war fronts is not smart..

Seems like the game designers do not share my view, the Expedition has started attacking me, despite what their original message said, and they are tough ones I tell you! Psi healing units, rocket launchers, grr... Fortunately, I found out that my old rifles are still of use, kill reticulans in a few shots, I love them! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be stuck.

I have created a terraformation station on every available sector. The only parts of the planet I don't own are those owned by the original Reticulans (I never attacked them) and a few sectors where each faction has its home base/fortress. When I try to attack the fortress, a short while into the battle the game says I am dreadfully out numbered and should figure out a different way to get the fortress.

I successfully have done two missions to the moon, Phobos. I have researched every available technology. There are four unavailable techs, two of which I think I need to get the game moving: Humidity Condensation and Accelerated Terraformation. The prereqs that I am missing for these are: Reticulan energy sources, and Irrigation, respectively. The two other techs I can't research are Plasma principles and Plasma Weapons handling.

I seem to be stuck. The only thing I seem to be able to do is wait for my territory to be invaded and then I attack that spot.

Any hints at what I need to do to move this along? Please help.

If by "original" reticulans you mean the 1st ones you encounter and thus are the rebel faction then, have you destroyed the main base of the Expedition? This should of unlocked some research topics required for game progress. I believe you can also unlock this after capturing a Exp Commander unit.

The plasma technologies aren't necessary to complete the game, but you'll missout on some equipment that these topics open up.

Thanks for the help.

It seems that I am stuck again. I have now upgraded every terraforming station and have taken out the forts for the martians, expedition. The rebel reticulans are still friendly and the beastman fort still gives the message that I can't use the "usual methods" to take it over. The only tech I can't research (other than plasma ones) is "Terraforming Acceptable by Martians" which requires spoken martian language, which isn't available to me. Nor are martians since I already took out their fort.

Am I screwed without the spoken martian language tech?

You get the warp canons from earth and some extra ammo for starting earth weapons in the 1st shipment. You may ask for the 2nd shipment after doing the two moon missions and completing the research that the artefacts recovered from them unlocks. You should get a thank you message and shortly after a diplamacy message saying that such request should be succesfull

• 3 months later...

I don't know this for a absoulute fact

=====Spoiler=====

but I've read in more then one places that you can't do the main beastmen fortress untill the secound ship from earth comes, they don't give you men but they give you a virus or something after that you might have to research or produce it I'm not sure as I havn't even done a moon mission (no idea how to trigger em) and then you can go their and beat them :oh:

• 3 weeks later...
I'll start squashing the Rets like bugs as soon as I manage to get the Beastmen under control, they're starting to bring the cavalry to their attack missions (multiple Chiefs guarded by Captains and surrounded by Alchemists all around!) and having two war fronts is not smart..

I'm getting that now! The pathetic thing is I don't have enough resources so I haven't been able to build any extra buildings like the shooting range or the advanced foundry etc. I am stuck on fighting these super beastmen with my generic projectile weapons. The care package from the Laputians helped slightly with the two warp cannons but I'm still barely winning battles. Each fight always ends up with half of my crew unconcious.

I just finally got one robot built but he falls like a tinker toy to those captains or alchemists. One shot and he goes down.

The biggest problem is the lack of personell. I don't have barely enough people to man one lab, the science/tech bays and production lines. No extra people around to train in the schools or do building projects. I only ever got 2 reticulans from my alliance and one died. Only within the last day or so I got these 2 twin kids join my soldier group, but I still lack the other pieces.

Diplomacy with any group can't seem to get me extra troops, so I am forced to go to most battles with only 4 or 5 soldiers. I'm regreting not trading with the reticulans for those reticulan rocket launchers now.

It will get better. Keep your people alive and train them. Diplomacy can get you the vital resources to be able to build Fancy Stuff .

And take out alchemists quick. Dual pistols, gunman and athletics works wonders taking them out hit-and-run style. :oh:

The best way to ally yourself with the expedition is to break alliance with the rebels if you have one, and then attack one of the rebel territories. This will immediately allow you to make peace with the expedition and remove all of their forces from your lands. Then if you attack another rebel territory, you can go right into an alliance with the expedition.

Be careful when you are trading in diplomacy not to trade away your valuable resources. They can make or break this game.