44 replies to this topic

#41 doctordark

doctordark

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:42 AM

This message may take some time to reach you as we've had to send via the booster transmitter from the star system you call Alpha Centauri, using radio transmission so that you can receive.

We saw your intergalactic probe today, it appears to have crashed on the Red planet you call Mars....would you like it back?

#42 Dumb_Commander

Dumb_Commander

Addicted to Fan Fiction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:01 AM

Oo, what the?

#43 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

Yes, we would like it back.
Also, it's a four year old topic. I see aliens do not know netiquette. :D

#44 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

It's not bad 'net etiquette. He sent the message four years ago, and it only recently arrived. (See his first sentence) We will need to wait until 2012 for his response now. (The world ends in that year, unfortunately. So likely the boosted transmission will rend Earth asunder. :D )

Oh yes, this topic that started a debate between Lonestar and me for over a couple years.

Unfortunately, in the end, Lonestar's argument about aliens (Which he claimed was based on "many years" of study) was mostly quotations of the Bible and how he believed aliens were demonic hallucinations. (I am not lying...) While also stating alien life was impossible due to a large number of improbabilities that only had to do with human life.

Though I suppose any life beyond human life is truly impossible if you buy into Creationism. Although it still strikes me as weird that a book written thousands of years ago, and then translated and re-translated into different languages, could be used for a scientific debate.
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#45 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

That reminded me of Carl Sagan's "Contact". If God exists, he posits, alien cultures might likewise be looking for Her.

Creationism as literal truth? You can't take it seriously. Just because one tribal origin myth caught on doesn't make it any more or less true than the others. I like the Haida version myself. :)

Edit: I'll say no more here, this kinda talk should be in the Firing Line forum.
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users