44 replies to this topic

#21 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:27 PM

there are heaps of arguements. we could say that the settings would have to be absolutly perfect to sustain life. but then, you caould also say that "life" as we know it adapted to our settings. just run through this with me here. just on our own planet, we have suposedly gone through unbeleivable odds if you say we evolved from bacteria into humans. sure, it could have been billions of years, but everything would have had to be exactly right, or it could have been wrong. when all these scientists say they've created life in possible situations, it is all controlled. but do you think that it could have been like this in real life? oh, and relating back to billions of years, if it did take that long, it definatly would be too long inbetween seitnent beings being able to communicate with each other.

edit: incase you havn't figured out yet, i do beleive in creation. but thats besides the point. lets just live in ignorence for the short while we are here in XTC and pretent that Sectoids do exist and that we will all be joining X-com shortly, fending off the starspawn, underwater freaks and micronoids.

Edited by Ki-tat Chung, 27 March 2004 - 12:29 PM.

#22 M. Hoz

M. Hoz

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

Hmm... :(
There are different types of atoms, different types of systems,
different types of galaxys...
There may also be a different type of life. :)
Life as we know it is just another "form" though. ;)
I have to write that down.

There's no end to that anyway.
(Why don't you go discuss the afterlife instead?
should be easier)
Sorry for wasting your time and space....

#23 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:20 AM

Ki-Tat's made a very good point. So far, it's only 'unlikely' for there to be human-like life out there. Even after Lonestar's private message, I am still sorely unconvinced that there's any real proof that the chances of sentient life existing elsewhere in the galaxy that's advanced enough to reach us is so low. I mean come on, the only true factor I can see would be existing on a planet containing the resources allowing interstellar travel. And even then, all you'd really need are the resources to make it to the next planet which may have the resources to move on to the next world.

It still, however, seems very closed minded to classify the possibility of sentient alien life to be anything but 50/50. There is a hefty argument for it and against it. But my problem is, the only true argument against it would be that sentient alien life is merely improbable, whereas what we have for it would be the sheer size of the universe, how little we know, and that we know one hundred and ten percent that it's happened at least once already...
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#24 Munkeylord

Munkeylord

Am I back? possibly.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:50 PM

what if it was just a rock???? then what?? that could be the ufo too.....or what if it was a sam missle that lost its way??? or a little puppy? could of been anything that flys by mars everyday.

ok answer this question, how was life created on earth?? seems like it just all of the sudden happened when for billions of years there was nothing. as for the evolution thing, i don't believe the human race will ever evolve again we sort of evolve ourselves if you haven't noticed, its obvious. whens the last time you seen a deer wearing warm weather gear? or driving home from work....you can't say there isn't other um..human like species out there because the possibility of it is unknown there could be a million earth like planets out there and there could be a million human race like races and blah blah blah even races that have had a billion year head start on our own timeline....i need a beer

#25 M. Hoz

M. Hoz

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:16 PM

Everything could be, we can't judge, etc. etc.
Not a matter for argument.

#26 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:34 PM

Munkeylord, on Mar 28 2004, 10:50 AM, said:

i need a beer
Can't argue with that ;)

*pops open a cold one and hands it to Monkeylord*

Back to the original post.. It was probably a Sectoid commuter jet, full of grays heading home from a recent vacation on earth.

:) Now aproching our final destination, please make shure your tray tables and seat backs are in the full upright and locked position...... Sir i need to ask you to put your mutilated cow parts fully under the seat infrount of you. thank you.

-Blade FireLight
Combat is very simple, there is a first place and second place, second place is laying face down in the mud, sometimes, so is first place.

#27 Munkeylord

Munkeylord

Am I back? possibly.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:37 AM

*drinks beer heavily* yes. it was probably just some greys heading back for the islands of jamaca.....nothing new

#28 maxoman

maxoman

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:17 PM

Thats the one ultimate way to end an argument.
*fetches beer too*

And my advise to some people around here (including myself) is not to take some things to seriously.

edit: Had this adress as a link in this post, but the site blocks linking specific images.

copy&paste this one in your search bar when you want to see what happened while the probe observed the skies...

http://fun.drno.de/p...sh/freemars.jpg

#29 Munkeylord

Munkeylord

Am I back? possibly.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

*looks at maxoman's link crosseyed*.....................*grabs beer and looks at alcohol %*................*goes to fridge and takes the captain out of the freezer*...........eclipsedog go write a book or somethin man.

#30 Lonestar

Lonestar

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:58 PM

I recently saw in Weekly World News that the sectoids came to earth just eat Krispy Kreme doughnuts!  I guess Krispy Kreme's greatness is known throughtout the universe! And to think that we started a war against them.  Tsk tsk tsk.

#31 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:54 AM

Maybe they wanted to enslave us so we could create MORE DONUTS...
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#32 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:25 AM

Munkeylord, on Mar 28 2004, 05:50 PM, said:

i don't believe the human race will ever evolve again we sort of evolve ourselves if you haven't noticed, its obvious. whens the last time you seen a deer wearing warm weather gear? or driving home from work....
I couldn't resist this related quote which I tripped over again yesterday.

Douglas Adams, on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, said:

It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars and so on -- whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man -- for precisely the same reasons.

which I googled for and found here: Douglas Adams Quotes

And to expand the discussion:
A lot of work has been done regarding spontaneous reactions that produce amino acids, and lately the "black smoker" mineral vents on the ocean floor are looking like a nice place for early life to have arisen as well. Some of that life today is very weird.

And sure it may be easier to conceive of life on other planets - what kind of life would evolve in space, though? Or orbiting a sun on its own?
Space whales?

JFG
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#33 maxoman

maxoman

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:28 PM

hum....space whales...dunno if they can evolve. but I think if mankind lasts long enuogh they will be created....

It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, dolphin had always assumed that he was more intelligent than humans because he had achieved so much -- hanging out in the water and having a good day and so on -- whilst all the humans had ever done was annoy each other and declare war on anything that moves. There was no change in that opinion even after the humans nearly killed all dolphins as part of the war, and genetically engineered the rest into space whales. Actually, today most space whales think that their dolphin ancestors underestimated the stupidity of mankind, as those offspring of apes that still think digital clocks are great didn't took the chance of mucking around while orbiting sun and having a good time for themselves. But conversely, the humans had always believed that they were far more intelligent than space whale -- for precisely the same reasons.

Maybe I should have stopped drinking beer around yesterday.....

#34 M. Hoz

M. Hoz

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:41 AM

hum....space whales...dunno if they can evolve.
The oxygen\blood system we use does'nt have to be
the only one in the universe.

but I think if mankind lasts long enuogh they will be created....
I think-it does'nt depend on mankind.

#35 Lleshap Johari

Lleshap Johari

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:36 PM

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Bill Watterson

Seems to be fitting with the whole dolphin vs. human thing

#36 Neorapsta

Neorapsta

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:24 PM

Reminds me of a guy a few years back who wrote a book saying that whales and dolphins were super-intelligent life in disguise that knew the answers to the universe and everything.

There is no doubt many forms of life out there, if the theory that we are amongst the first races to evolve in our universe isn't correct.

After all how can a race that has only been undergoing major developments over a period of 4000 years claim to know everything there is. Probably the reason why we don't meet any aliens, is because they think we are a large bunch of arrogant ignorant SOBs.

#37 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:14 PM

Dolphin guy = Douglas Adams = Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Author
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#38 SheaTastic87

SheaTastic87

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:29 PM

I'm not saying that it is a martian but it is possible, seriously we live on one planet and who knowshow many more there are in space, plus we only think you need oxygen adn water to live because we need it, just cause our scientists say that we are the only race isnt true.

#39 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:29 AM

What kind of life would exist without a planet to support it? Nothing much, I would imagine! Space is a horrible place to nurture any kind of life - intelligent or not. Unless the animal is encased in some sort of protective shield it would encounter radiation, heat, cold, meteors, and gravity near a solar system! Not to mention how would it move!

There probably was life on Mars at one time, because current evidence points to a salt water ocean. You heard the old cliche before : where there is water, there is life. I would expect this life to be unintelligent - like bacteria. Are there UFO's flying around on Mars? Don't get your hopes up!  ;)

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#40 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:36 AM

This really is too complex to respond to properly but I will say one thing... Wibble...

But I digress... What makes everyone think that the only kind of life in the universe is human life that needs food, water, and oxygen? What are the prerequisites for primordial gunge? Any ideas anyone? I bet the predino ooze didn't give a damn if there was a different kind of pus on a nearby planet. So where does the human fascination come from? Personally I think it's just an attempt to find a higher level of presence. People want to be able to think they're insignificance is actually of some consequence in some way. Therefore we want UFOs to be watching and recording us. Even abducting and experimenting on humans at random! It's a cry for help from one tiny planet in an endless void of space...
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users