Interceptor weapons...

justchris

Open your base creen and select Equip Craft

https://bladefirelight.home.comcast.net/images/Base-screen.jpg

Then selcet the craft to go the th craft equipment screen

https://bladefirelight.home.comcast.net/images/Equip-screen.jpg

Then click on the buttons numbered 1 and 2. this will give you a list of availible equipment.

You can purcase craft weapons and ammo from the purchase/recruit screen in base managment.

https://bladefirelight.home.comcast.net/images/Purchase-screen.jpg

You start with Stingray, Avalanche and Cannon as your wapons, and their respective ammo. (dont forget the keep a good quantity of ammo)

-Blade FireLight

Err guys? I think he wanted to know whether folks used cannons vs stingrays vs avalanche in their weapon pod setup. *grins* Loved your reply though. *chuckles*

If he did mean the way I just corrected, personally I usually set up with 1 cannon pod and 1 missile pod and just use whichever missile type I have stockpiled and only purchase new when my stockpiles empty out.

Oh! Well, the way he was... um... mumbling, we didn't hear him right. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/sarcastic.gif

Default weapons for me, untill those plasma cannons turn up then I equip them. Best weapon in the game! https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/killcrazed.gif

I generally stick to the default cannon and stingray, and arm the second interceptor with the avalanche.

At other times, I arm one interceptor with an avalanch and stingray, or dual avalanches while the other interceptor gets dual cannons. You never know when one will come in handy.

Not much of a choice really, although I lean more towards having a good mix of both types of weapons (slow but strong -v- weak, fast and numerous). I just mix and match depending on how much damage I want to be deal to the UFOs.

I swap cannons with lasers rather quickly - mostly to reduce the micromanagement of my base stores. And, hey, they're pretty powerful, especially when dualled. Then as soon as plasma cannons become available, I gently phase out the laser cannons. I sometimes keep the avalanches and stingrays around until I run out of ammo, then I leave them as they are or replace them with more plasma cannons.

I don't often build fusion ball launchers, as I'm a scrooge with elerium. But when the elerium stockpile is high, I might build one or two. Nothing like a slow but hard hitting weapon to soften up a battleship that I really just cannot be bothered with.

- NKF

Here is my 2 cents worth:

Interceptor-1 is initially armed with 2 cannons, and Interceptor-2 is armed with dual Stingray launchers. If the first ship I see is a small scout, I send out Interceptor-1 to try and shoot it down. If the first ship is a medium or large scout, I send out Interceptor-2. In either case, after the first craft is shot down or lands, Interceptor-1 gets the dual Stingray launchers and Interceptor-2 gets dual Avalanche launchers.

Then, everything gets dual Plasma cannons. Later in the game, half of my Avengers get a Plasma Cannon and a Fusion Ball launcher, and the other half get dual plasmas. For routine air strikes I send out a dual plasma Avenger. Only the battleships get the plasma cannon/fusion ball Avengers (usually 4 at a time)!

On the easiest level, battleships can be shot down with an Avenger equipped with a single Laser Cannon! It takes around 28-31 hits to crash a battleship so your odds are about 50-50 of bringing the Avenger back in one piece. An Avenger with dual Laser Cannons can bring down any ship and still survive! I usually keep one Avenger equipped with dual Lasers for the small stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

my two cents

start off cannon/ stingray

phase out cannons for lasers (and some times singrays as well)

phase out stingrays for plasma

later on replace half ships with duel plasma

and finally a few ships with duel Fusion Ball launcher

I tend to find the avalanch is overkill to begin with and a poor choice the secound you develop laser/plasma

• 4 weeks later...

When I start out, I load up one Interceptor with the avalanche launcher that you have in stores, and leave the other one with cannon/stingray. I've toyed around with the idea of loading one up with dual avalanches for taking on larger ships, but

a ) the larger ships usually escape or land, the interceptors are too slow.

b ) They miss pretty often, so you wind up flushing about 120k down the drain for each failed interception (20k/Avalanche, right? I forget.) 120k buys you two rookies, a rifle, and a couple of clips, perfect for Stalingrad-style Soviet tactics!

Of course, laser cannons replace the regular cannon, and then plasma cannons just replace everything - unlimited ammo, long range, heavy damage - since a hundred shots is more than enough to bring down any UFO, you really can't lose! Fusion ball launchers suffer the same problem as Avalanches - they're expensive (including E-115), have a low ammo cap and miss pretty easily. Yeah, we've got a real winner here...

Not that I'm adding anything new but I start out with one Interceptor equipped with an avalanche and a stingray. Interceptor no.2 has a stingray and a cannon. No 1 goes after medium UFO's whilst I save no.2 for the small fry or to perform the coup-de-grace after No.1 has ran out of ammo. I sometimes swap no.2's stingray for another cannon depending on ammo reserves. If I detect a large UFO, I generally let out a small whimper and hope that either the swine lands somewhere within Radar range or starts a terror mission (In which case... "All I need to know, man, is...where..they..are")As the game progresses more Interceptors are added with variations on the same sort of theme, except I never pair an avalanche with a cannon. Dual weapons (deuces!) are good, but force your interceptors to be too role specific- you'll need a few to afford that luxury- and that's money better spent on scientists.

i-m-t

I just use the default weapons for the inteceptors untill i research the ;laser cannons (no ammo to worry about), then i give my interceptors two each. i keep them armed like this for the rest of the game. if a big ufo comes along which i cannot shoot down i just tail it with an interceptor, wait for it to land then sent in the troops

Well, if there's anything to add to this topic...If only a couple of thoughts. I start with the defaults but personally abhore a bit cannons, so I try to replace them as soon as I can. Usually I equip 1 Interceptor with Stingray/Avalanche and another one (the main) with dual Avalanches. Yes, it costs, but usually I don't have much problems with financing, at least I can afford a steady supply of missiles. And with two launchers not only you have the double stopping power, but also the increased chance to land medium and large scouts with single hit, so it won't escape. Later I can equip additional interceptor with cannon and stingray to land the smallest crafts without destroying them. Also it may be handy when attacking large ships by 3 or 4 interceptors at once.

Early on I'll have one interceptor with stinray and cannon. Since most UFOs are scouts this shoots them down for the cheapest.

Later I try to have two interceptors with dual avalanche since they can shoot down a terrorship/

Then it's dual plasma all the way.

If you dont have your own UFOs yet, four interceprtors armed with dual Fusionball will smash a battleship. Likely you'll lose one interceptor, rarely two, but on occasion none.

Plasma on your Interceptors is really just the best way to go. There is no two ways about it. It's something that kind of annoys me in the game, because I like to use everything the game has to offer, but it is almost idiotic to ignore the fact that plasma cannons are undeniably the best Interceptor weapon in the game. The only downsides to them are Small Scouts, and Battleships.

Later in the game, there's no point to even caring about Small Scouts, so just destroying them isn't a big deal, you just want them out of the skies.

Battleships' range is slightly better than the plasma cannon's, so a plasma-equipped Interceptor is usually doomed. And more importantly, attacking a Battleship is usually completely unneccessary. Taking them on the ground is a much better idea.

Nevertheless, there is one situation where attacking them in the skies is needed: when they are on their way to attack an undefended base. You should never get yourself in this situation in the first place, but mistakes happen. For this problem, I always have all my Avengers armed with dual fusion ball launchers. Backed up with a Firestorm or 2 with plasmas, I send the Avenger to cautious attack stance, slam the first two into it, then quickly change to aggressive to shoot the next 2 (if you stay at cautious, the Avenger will back up and the fusion balls will miss) then just as quickly, go to standoff. If done right you wont get hit, and you will have dealt significant damage to the Battleship. Then send your Firestorms up and have them slay the beast with their plasmas. The Firestorms rarely get heavily damaged, and even if they do their repairs are worth saving the base.

After the battleship is done for, all efforts for the next few days should go to defending the base. You don't want to have to go through that again.

That would be nice if it worked. The Avenger, once it is out of ammo, will remain at standoff and will not move out farther. I suppose I could be wrong about this, I haven't played in a while, honestly.