Jagged Alliance 2: Stracciatella

Gimli

Jagged Alliance 2: Stracciatella is an SDL port of the Jagged Alliance 2 source code. From the official website's FAQ section:

Q: Why do you do this? There is already a project tinkering with ja2-sources, ja2-v113.

A: We know. But ja2-v113 is only native to Windows - everyone with BSD, Linux, Solaris will have to use wine/cedega (and finding the right version of wine which still supports ja2, for newer versions don't, is a pain in the ***). With ja2-v113s planned move to D3D9 it is unknown whether using wine/cedega will stay an option at all. With ja2-stracciatella there will be a portable version to tinker with - one mod may be used in Win32, BSD and Linux.

Furthermore, the same FAQ mentions the platforms this port works on:

Q: What platforms are known to work?

A: Currently kown to work are x86 Freebsdi, x86 Linux and x86 windows. If it works for you on another platform, feel free to tell us. It should run on every x86 based System with SDL.

You can read more about the project on the official website.

Thanks for the heads up mattn

• 2 weeks later...

version 0.5 with the following changelog was released:

* Fixed Russian translation, ja2-stracciatella is playable with Russian data-files now.

* Fixed Polish translation, ja2-stracciatella is playable with Polish data-files now.

* Fixed incorrectly encoded cyrillic texts in non-Russian versions (Ivan!).

* Repair and add some more blitters.

* Fixed a vanilla bug which put some large items in small slots when doctoring.

* As usual code cleanups and minor fixes.

• 6 months later...

Excuse me while I necro-post, but Stracciatella has been compiled for the Nokia N8x0 series of Internet Tablets. It works great! A truly portable JA2!

Here's the announcement thread at ITT: https://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=16138

I bought a N800 about 9 months ago, and it's, IMO, the best handheld, internet device available. They've since released the N810 which adds some new hardware features, but is otherwise the same. I was hoping that someone would compile Stracciatella for the devices, since they run a variant of Debian Linux.

FYI, to play the game on an N800 requires a bluetooth keyboard, since the on-screen keyboard is currently unsupported by Stacciatella. I bought one for $30 on Amazon.com a couple of months ago. The N810 has a built-in, hardware keyboard that works fine for the game.