First amusing BSOD I ever had...

Slaughter

Right, so I have a Dell XPS M1210 with Windows XP Media Center and Vista Ultimate installed in dual boot. I've been plagued a little with BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death's) since I got the system in both Vista and XP. Most of them seem to have been caused by the build in webcamera from Logitech, but yesterday I got the funniest one yet.

I was using Windows XP, and restarted to have it boot Vista (the default). I clicked reboot, and went to fetch something. When I came back I had a BSOD with the following stop code: 0xDEADBEEF

I don't know if it was the XP shutdown or Vista boot that produced it, but it was quite amusing. Most BSODs can be found easily by searching the MS site using the stop code, but I haven't figured this one out properly yet.

On a related note, there are supposed to be many other good ones like 0xDEADDEAD etc. Wonder if there's a 0xOHNOOHNO... (:

Wierd. Wiki's entry for 0xDEADBEEF says it's a message found only on IBMs and Mac OSs. I doubt if the problem is Vista's, I've only had one BSoD since I installed, and that's due to a lousy game anyway, poking where it shouldn't have. There were a few blank screen hangings in the initial weeks, but once I updated my BIOS and system drivers they're about gone now... *knocks on wood*

By the way, this is hex. Your chances of seeing a 0xOHNOOHNO are about as good as 0xURSCREWD (:

lol, when i first read your post i thought "VIRUS" but as i see this really is an official error message! (:

Talking about funny bugs: I'm playing Pocket UFO atm and in each Terror mission there is 1 brownhaired female civilian attacking my troops, right from the start of the mission, in the last one she "waited" at the landing zone and even entered the skyranger to attack my troops! No kidding! She doesn't do any damage (uses the melee attack animation and sound) and does not show up as hostile so i let her live. For the moment... (:

I really love that bug. If she appears again in the next mission i will post some screenshots and the according savegame.

edit: Hahaha, she's back! And again she was waiting at the landing zone and entered the Skyranger! See for yourself:

https://images7.pictiger.com/thumbs/f1/e44bd2c37a81747494d0c61807fdd2f1.th.jpg https://images7.pictiger.com/thumbs/6c/324a9a7efc9fa5aa3e04c96de590a36c.th.jpg

She has to be either a Stalker or a pissed-off ex-girlfriend of one of my troopers. :(

I do have the savegame if anybody wants it!

[nerd alert]

0XDEADBEEF is a well known code for people who have done any sort of advanced low level programming.

It's not actualy an error code, but it's a 32bit hexadecimal number used by programmers when debugging code because it's easy to spot in a memory viewer in a debug utility.

It's usualy only seen in debug versions of code tho' and the end-user is not normaly supposed to see it.

0xDEADC0DE is another one used by programmers, as is the 0xDEADDEAD one you mentioned.

[/nerd alert]

I would image the error would be caused by a driver rather than either XP or Vista itself. I doubt very much MS would let an error like that get through their QA labs.

Well, got it again today! It happened while loading Vista. Not sure what causes it, but there is too much odd stuff happening with my system these days. Ubuntu will be installed soonish. Thanks for your input!

@Aralez: Your trooper must have dumped her in a VERY bad manner... (:

For the 64bit programmers :)

0x0DDC0FFEEBADF00D

:)

Come to think of it, all these start with 0x. Does this mean "you're getting no odd coffee or bad food"?

@Gimli: I agree with Windows. You need help reading fiction by that messed up individual :)