Buying a mobile phone...

Space Voyager

Ok, buying a mobil phone is easy... You set the priorities, compare the prices of phones that meet your demands best and buy Nokia. (:(:

I thought my priorities for a new phone were all VERY basic. It has to have everything my old one has with added polyphonic melodies and a speaker for safer driving. I guess that you have noticed that my current phone doesn't have these two VERY basic options...

I have a Nokia 1100. That's a completely basic phone. BUT it does have something uncommon (as I found out). A LED flashlight. It has no camera, WAP, MMS, Bluetooth, IR and the rest of the stuff I'd never use anyway - but it has a LED. And it has saved my arse or just made my life much easyer on several occasions.

I want something very similar (non-flippable, simple phone) with those two extra demands - polyphony and speaker. And I can't find anything similar for a reasonable price. Meaning up to 100

Hehe to say to you what is my knowledge of phones i dont even know what kind is mine.

For me as a phone allow to phone it is ok, anyother options just add to my confusion, i cant remember how many time i was not able to answer a call as i was messing with buttons.

Yes i am able to deal a bit with a pc but amobile phone scare me.

Nose kisss

The Nokia 5100 seems to fit the bill.

(: This seems just what I'm looking for! It's ugly and it's a Nokia (read: it's adorable!). THANK you. Now I need to find it in Slovenia...

Ah! The Nokia 1100! Now that was a good mobile phone. No unneeded gimicks, indestructible and reliable. I really liked that one.

While I completely agree with your comments I don't understand why are you using past tense... (:

Then don't buy it new. I put all those warnings about buying second hand on the basis that that's what I'd recommend doing: Just make sure you know what you're getting, and who to hit if it all goes wrong.

That said, I recommended that mobile because it was cheap, but by no means is it the only Nokia with a flashlight. The 5140i also has one, but costs roughly double and apparently has a bad keypad and screen. Owners have also complained that it won't survive a fall from hip height.

Then don't buy it new. I put all those warnings about buying second hand on the basis that that's what I'd recommend doing: Just make sure you know what you're getting, and who to hit if it all goes wrong.

I would agree but I don't like buying second hand phones (or computers). I'll try to live without the LED. Or buy something other than Nokia. Otherwise I like Nokia because of the durable batteries...

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Mmm, I hear good things about them. I might sway.

I note networks here in the UK cannot hack the amount of mobile internet being used, so instead of upgrading their capacities, they've decided to limit people to about 500-750MB a month. Bugger.

At every turn I am confounded.

iPhone 4? Sold out.

HTC? Very little HD space. CBA with microSD cards.

Dell Streak? Too big.

So my question was not all that misplaced, huh? ;)

Anyway, this is the feature list for my next phone (apart from phoning, SMS...);

- it fits in the pocket

- it has a torchlight

- it has no damn quick buttons for launching the internet

- it is rechargeable through USB

- it has BT

- possibly GPS, not a necessity.

Perhaps I will add more.

I saw an iPhone4 today at work as a colleague has one. They do look very good, and I'm glad they finally caught up with the basic features they've been missing before their latest OS release (much better email client as well as folders - apparently a brand new invention by the way they went on about it ;)), as well as also finally sticking a decent camera on it.

I was however slightly concerned about how easy it was to reproduce the dropped signal issue, so I'll be waiting to see if Apple actually admit it's a pretty glaring error and if the next batch that we see in a week or two have had any tweaks to their innards. Not impressed thus far with their "you're holding it wrong" or "buy a rubber cover" answers. Did they think that the human race wore fingerless marigolds? ;)

All that said, I love the 3GS and they do make really good phones on the whole, even if I hate the company (for the record, I'm not overly thrilled with Microsoft either, so I'm not an Apple hater, just a "too-big-for-their-technology-boots" hater as both camps stifle/buy-out creativity :P).

My current phone doesn't have one, but it does have a useful feature which lights up the entire screen bright white, which is useful at short range, but too diffuse to really stand in for a torch.

Doesn't seem to be included on any smartphones, sadly.

All that said, I love the 3GS and they do make really good phones on the whole, even if I hate the company

Quite happy to buy one, but the only ones left seem to be for fairly shitty tariffs. Think it'll be a HTC Desire, which I can get now, and it will be easier on my wallet.

Why can someone not come down on them like a tonne of bricks and make them do a recall already? It is becoming a joke now. Guess that's what happens when you rush things in a 12 month development cycle just so you've got a new phone to roll out every year!

Apple are having a briefing tomorrow on the antenna issues.

Will they just say "suck it up" and dig themselves into a bigger hole, or are they hoping to ride it out as the iPhone 4 is still selling like hotcakes to those who are oblivious to the whole issue or who just don't care?

It'll be interesting to see what they say anyway. They need to be a bit more careful with how they phrase things than they have been recently anyway - "hold it differently" still gets me every time, as does the duct tape solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW96dqOlFVY