Buying a mobile phone...

Space Voyager

So they're giving away bumpers. Woo. And he's said once again that this issue affects all smart phones, which is crap as it doesn't affect my 3GS, nor my old XDA. They seem to keep trying to brush this bridging the gap between the two antennas under the carpet.

Apparently they got less than 1% complaints through their customer service channels so what's the big issue? Well in my view the big issue is that folks post on the Apple support forums to complain more publicly instead and then have their threads deleted - not good.

Still torn between the Desire and the iPhone 4 though as the issue only seems present with some handsets and Mr Jobs is now offering refunds through to September if you're not completely satisfied - more than enough time to see if you got a bad phone.

I think I need to stop rambling about it and go and play with a HTC Desire in a shop to see what the difference is.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That it is. I don't make a habit of installing kitty pets and lightsaber sounds, but it's still annoyingly small (and I have serious trouble seeing why they chose to save money on internal memory, given how cheap memory is these days). Anyway, thanks for the heads up! Suggestions for useful apps?

What I use: https://www.appbrain.com/user/iolalog/

appbrain is actually quite good, but back up your app list under another name on it as well (e.g. if it's HTC Desire Apps, save another copy under HTC Desire back up). I watched a friend (possibly an idiot) sync his list to his phone, instead of his phone to his list, blanking his list on appbrain and putting exactly nothing on his phone. If this happens to you, you can just use the back up list.

LauncherPro, Titanium for app backup, Theft Aware, Swype (not even on the market, still in beta, so sign up) or Swiftkey or

, smsbackup+ for SMS/MMS/Call log (it saves everything to your gmail), Beautiful Widgets, SetCPU (for on-demand under/overclocking, not really for turning your phone into Skynet, more for saving power, extending battery life), winamp is actually pretty good, wifi syncing etc, Timeriffic for time profiles (dim & quiet at night, bright & loud during the day, bright but silent at work, etc), ESPN ScoreCentre if you want sports info. I'll add more as my poor brains recalls them.

The best two places on the net for the Desire are Android forums and the xda dev forums. A wealth of knowledge and clever people on there, plus plenty of guides to follow.

Shop around for the ROM you want, don't use the first one that looks good. There are ROMS that include both HTC and Google versions of contact organisers and apps, so you can choose which one you prefer rather than having to take one you don't like. LeeDrOID is an example (supports your native language too).

What's wrong with lightsaber sounds?! I have Yoda's "Message from the dark side it is" for messages and Imperial march for ringtune, so lighsabers are bound to be OK! :)

Good for you Forrest... :P

As amusing as it is to watch "Star Wars kid", people wanting to wave their phone around as it makes lightsaber sounds... Anyway, having a ring tone you like or similar is fine, but I just mean that I mostly avoid apps that I find useless or moronic. I'm only interested in useful apps.

@FullAuto: I have SMSbackup+ and a few others in your list, but I'll check out the rest. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, good tips on Appbrain and ROM's. Thanks!

You're welcome, matey. Get the most out of that phone!

On a sidenote: AAAAAAAARGH.

After:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/lies.png

In one of the most insensitive announcements in recent PR history, T-Mobile UK is telling its customers who want to download or stream online video to their mobile devices to "save that stuff for [their] home broadband." The carrier, one half of the UK's biggest operator Everything Everywhere, had up until now offered one of the better monthly allowance deals with a 3GB data consumption limit on Android phones.

God damn it am I jinxed or does God hate me.

EDIT: Then an about turn! For new customers only. Existing customers before Feb are okay.

As amusing as it is to watch "Star Wars kid", people wanting to wave their phone around as it makes lightsaber sounds...

:) AAHAHHAA, that's moronic. Though I can see myself doing that. :) And I'm not even an SW ueberfan! :P

I just want to be a knight in shiny... That's enough about me.