110 replies to this topic

#1 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

Ok, buying a mobil phone is easy... You set the priorities, compare the prices of phones that meet your demands best and buy Nokia.   (:   (:

I thought my priorities for a new phone were all VERY basic. It has to have everything my old one has with added polyphonic melodies and a speaker for safer driving. I guess that you have noticed that my current phone doesn't have these two VERY basic options...

I have a Nokia 1100. That's a completely basic phone. BUT it does have something uncommon (as I found out). A LED flashlight. It has no camera, WAP, MMS, Bluetooth, IR and the rest of the stuff I'd never use anyway - but it has a LED. And it has saved my arse or just made my life much easyer on several occasions.

I want something very similar (non-flippable, simple phone) with those two extra demands - polyphony and speaker. And I can't find anything similar for a reasonable price. Meaning up to 100.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#2 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

Ah! The Nokia 1100! Now that was a good mobile phone. No unneeded gimicks, indestructible and reliable. I really liked that one.

Oh and sorry, i do not have any recommendations atm  (:

#3 chocolatemouse

chocolatemouse

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hehe to say to you  what is my  knowledge of phones  i dont even know what kind is mine.
For me as a phone allow to phone it is ok, anyother  options just add to my confusion, i cant remember  how many time  i was not able to answer a call as i was messing with buttons.
Yes  i am able to deal a bit with a pc but   amobile phone scare me.

Nose kisss

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

The Nokia 5100 seems to fit the bill. A quick skim of eBay suggests you could get one for under 50. If you decide to buy online or second hand though, make sure you get it from a reputable source: Many people have bought phones only to find they've been reported stolen (or are reported a week or so after buying) - and when that happens, the phone gets locked out of all the networks in the world.

Second hand or prepaid phones might also come with network locks attached (meaning the phone will only work with a specific carrier). In the case of Nokias, you can usually remove these via online code generators: But if someone's already tried the wrong code number too many times, tough. Make sure you're clear on the locking status before buying as well.

Alternatively: You can get these mini flashlights with a built in dynamo, which you can crank for light, or plug into a phone to recharge it. While it's "one more thing" to carry around, you can get them the same size as a mobile, it opens up the range of phones you could choose from, and your phone and flashlight will always work.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#5 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 18th May 2007, 5:01am, said:

The Nokia 5100 seems to fit the bill.
(: This seems just what I'm looking for! It's ugly and it's a Nokia (read: it's adorable!). THANK you. Now I need to find it in Slovenia...

View PostAralez, on 17th May 2007, 11:28pm, said:

Ah! The Nokia 1100! Now that was a good mobile phone. No unneeded gimicks, indestructible and reliable. I really liked that one.

While I completely agree with your comments I don't understand why are you using past tense...  (:

#6 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

Well CRAP!  (: Been phoning around... There is no new Nokia 5100 in Slovenia... It's an old model and there is no new shipment. Ever. Why is this happening to me?

I guess I'm going to have to buy 1110i and live with no light in my eyes.  (:

#7 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

Then don't buy it new. I put all those warnings about buying second hand on the basis that that's what I'd recommend doing: Just make sure you know what you're getting, and who to hit if it all goes wrong.

That said, I recommended that mobile because it was cheap, but by no means is it the only Nokia with a flashlight. The 5140i also has one, but costs roughly double and apparently has a bad keypad and screen. Owners have also complained that it won't survive a fall from hip height.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#8 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 18th May 2007, 11:15am, said:

Then don't buy it new. I put all those warnings about buying second hand on the basis that that's what I'd recommend doing: Just make sure you know what you're getting, and who to hit if it all goes wrong.
I would agree but I don't like buying second hand phones (or computers). I'll try to live without the LED. Or buy something other than Nokia. Otherwise I like Nokia because of the durable batteries...

Thanks for the help.

#9 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 18th May 2007, 8:51am, said:

While I completely agree with your comments I don't understand why are you using past tense...  (:

Lol  (:

#10 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

I bought Nokia 5140i for 120... It DOES have a torchlight although it wasn't written in any preview. Finally I have Imperial march as the ringtune. (:

#11 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

The shakes and cold sweats tell me it is time to buy an iPhone.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#12 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

Why iPhone?

#13 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Why not is the question!

#14 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

I recently got a HTC Desire. It's Google Android, and I'm quite pleased not to be part of the iZombie clan :P (proprietary bastards!) I can warmly recommend Android! ;)

#15 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Mmm, I hear good things about them.  I might sway.

I note networks here in the UK cannot hack the amount of mobile internet being used, so instead of upgrading their capacities, they've decided to limit people to about 500-750MB a month.  Bugger.

At every turn I am confounded.

iPhone 4?  Sold out.

HTC?  Very little HD space.  CBA with microSD cards.

Dell Streak?  Too big.

#16 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

Motorola's Droid X might also be worth a look, FA. See quick feature comparison vs iPhone here.

::

iThings carefully... ;)

#17 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

...Alright, that looks good.

Just got to wait for it to come out now.

;)

If I could be arsed with MicroSD cards, the Desire does look like a good bet.

#18 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

So my question was not all that misplaced, huh? ;)

Anyway, this is the feature list for my next phone (apart from phoning, SMS...);
- it fits in the pocket
- it has a torchlight
- it has no damn quick buttons for launching the internet
- it is rechargeable through USB
- it has BT
- possibly GPS, not a necessity.

Perhaps I will add more.

#19 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

- it has a torchlight

This is a brilliant little feature, but seems to be dying out.  My last phone had a nice bright LED, and I used it a lot.  Very handy.

#20 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

I saw an iPhone4 today at work as a colleague has one. They do look very good, and I'm glad they finally caught up with the basic features they've been missing before their latest OS release (much better email client as well as folders - apparently a brand new invention by the way they went on about it ;)), as well as also finally sticking a decent camera on it.

I was however slightly concerned about how easy it was to reproduce the dropped signal issue, so I'll be waiting to see if Apple actually admit it's a pretty glaring error and if the next batch that we see in a week or two have had any tweaks to their innards. Not impressed thus far with their "you're holding it wrong" or "buy a rubber cover" answers. Did they think that the human race wore fingerless marigolds? ;)

All that said, I love the 3GS and they do make really good phones on the whole, even if I hate the company (for the record, I'm not overly thrilled with Microsoft either, so I'm not an Apple hater, just a "too-big-for-their-technology-boots" hater as both camps stifle/buy-out creativity :P).
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users