Unity is Back!

Pete

Done! Complete! Fin!

That's right folks, the system is ready to run once again! I can't promise that everything will work perfectly first time, but starting new battles and matches, adding new players, viewing details, changing you preferences and so on all seem to work fine.

As mentioned on the Unity homepage, I've wiped all old stats, battles and players from the system. This is cecause many of the players from days gone by may not wish to play again, and also because I'm mean and want everyone to start form a rank of Private (:

There are some requirements before this tourney can be started up again though - firstly you must have a copy of the game. Secondly, I have stillto work out whether this thing will run fine with the last version of TSX I remember using or whether anything else needs to be sorted out first.

As such, can those of you who have the game (to avoid confusion, this is the "Email Games - X-COM" title from Hasbro, and not the original "UFO: Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense" title developed by Microprose) and wish to play in the league send me a private message with your name, game name and email address and I'll get you all added to the system once we're good to go.

All those who played in teh old league will receive an email shortly (:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's Eisley here. Looking at the names of those who write on this message board, some of you will probably remember me... hopefully. I created the Unity email X-COM league all those years ago when I worked at Hasbro Interactive as webmaster. Pete did a great job of taking the running of the site off my hands when I couldn't continue running it.

I was sitting in front of the PC today thinking "I wonder if email X-COM is still played?". So, I did a quick check and seems like my timing was immaculate seeing as Pete just re-launched the Unity tournament system. WOW! It was great to see all those old quotes from the old days on the site - very nostalgic for me.

I still have my copy of Email X-COM so count me in for the league. I'll see if I can get a few of the old players like DeGriz playing if you want. What else do I need to run it? I don't think I ever used TSX.

Hi to all the old players. It's great to see your names again.

Pete - Sorry if the tournament site code was somewhat basic. It was before I learned PHP which also meant it used text files for the data and not a database. Crude but effective. Still, looking back, it's probably one of the pieces of work I'm most proud of. (By the way, the link to view a player's details doesn't seem to work.)

Eisley.

Hi Eisley - it wasn't basic or anything, I was just being a bit of a tool when searching and replacing things like file paths and missing out half of the files! At the time I thought it was something in a newer version of Perl interfering with your code, but it was just me (:

I'm going to see if we can get a version of TSX from Tankman before I email all the players from the players.dat file - don't want to get too hyped up til I know everything's going to work, but after that if you could email the player's who you've got email addresses for then that would be great. I imagine a few of the addresses I've got on file are somewhat out of date by now.

I shall get onto that link issue.

• 4 months later...