Need help with MSDE/S3 Editor

mockingbird

The Editor trys to use the default password for the SQL server install. Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you how to change the password in the editor because I'd like to know myself.

In the meantime uninstall the SQL server and delete the Microsoft SQL Server folder, if you leave the folder you'll get an error on reinstall.

Before you reinstall the SQL server check the setup.ini and make sure it has the line "SAPWD=simple". Don't mess with the password when reinstalling and it should work.

• 8 months later...

I've found out that the problem lies in loging to SQL server using only "Windows authentication mode", and to run S2 editor you need to change it to "mixed authentication mode". There is one catch, though.

To do it, you need to have SQL Enterprise Manager (part of SQL Enterprise Edition which isn't for free) or SQL Server Management Studio Express (which is for free and worked for me). So I think solution is obvious. :oh:

Download it from HERE, install and run from "Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2005->SQL Server Management Studio Express".

Logon as normal and now you should have 2 windows:

1. right - "Summary" of your SQL server,

2. left - "Object Explorer".

In "Object Explorer" window do a right click on name of your SQL server, and choose "Properties". Now go to "security" page, choose "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode", click "Ok" and voila.

However in Polish version of S2 Gold still there's something wrong... The game couldn't find file "S2AGAME_Data.mdf" in \Res folder (instead I've had file "A5GAME_Data.mdf") and I was getting one error message after another. So either it's a problem with editor (no patch installed ??), my install got corrupted or editor doesn't work with Polish version of the game.

Right know I've uninstalled S2 Gold from one of my computers and I will try installing English version instead, still fighting with Polish version on another. If I will discover anything I'll let you know.

Ros.